Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Dinahann, if you have been using brown rice in these cassarole things, that could be part of your problem! It seems to me that given how long it takes to cook brown rice the regular way, it would take way too long in the oven for anything else to survive!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Queenb, I mentioned brown rice because my diet books tell me it's better for you than white rice. I haven't tried to cook a casserole with it yet, heck, I haven't even cooked any yet. I thought I'd try it out tonight. I'm baking chicken breasts and I'm going to pour some 98% fat free cream of chicken soup over them when they're almost done and serve the chicken with brown rice from a boil-in bag. I love white rice, don't really know how I'll like the brown, I've never had it before to my knowledge.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann View Post
    Queenb, I mentioned brown rice because my diet books tell me it's better for you than white rice. I haven't tried to cook a casserole with it yet, heck, I haven't even cooked any yet. I thought I'd try it out tonight. I'm baking chicken breasts and I'm going to pour some 98% fat free cream of chicken soup over them when they're almost done and serve the chicken with brown rice from a boil-in bag. I love white rice, don't really know how I'll like the brown, I've never had it before to my knowledge.
    I think you will like brown rice, it's all I eat. It has a really nice nutty flavor to it. Good luck!

I love brown rice too, just be aware, it takes about 45 minutes to cook. So if you are planning brown rice for any meal, don't assume it will take 15-20 minutes, then look at the directions and say "o-s--t", or just cook it for 20 and wonder why it is nowhere near done, like some people have done
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I fixed the dish. The brown rice does have a bit of a nutty flavor. My son and I liked it but hubby didn't. Then again, he doesn't like white rice either, just rice-a-roni.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I love brown rice. We rarely ever cook white rice anymore. It even goes well with asian recipes.

Glad you liked it Dinahann.

Premium Member
    You can get quick-cooking brown rice too, I haven't tried it so I don't know how much faster it is. Brown rice has a low-glycemic index so it doesn't cause your blood sugar to spike, so it is better for you. I love it for the nutty flavor.

MRD
    I like all rice, especially wild rice which isn't really rice.

But I do LOVE Rice-a-Roni

I felt cheated in San Francisco we didn't get any. After all, it IS the San Francisco treat!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've tried Success boil-in-the-bag brown rice (cooks in 8--10 minutes). I used it for bean and rice burritos, so I don't know how the taste stands up by itself. It's great in the burritos, and it makes for a really quick vegetarian meal with salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, and avocados. Yum!

I realize these aren't quick-cooking rices, but Trader Joe's has THE BEST brown rice medleys. They need about 40 minutes to cook, but yummo, they are fabulous.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Closed Thread