Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Pasta Express that is being advertised on tv these days. I don't expect it to save time, but maybe allows for one less pot on the stove. Anyone had any success?

http://www.pastaexpress.tv/index.html
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Miss Kitty, I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would work. Pasta needs a lot more water than what the container seems to hold in order to cook well and not stick (never put oil in your pasta water). Personaly, I don't see an advantage to it.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has tried the Pasta Express that is being advertised on tv these days. I don't expect it to save time, but maybe allows for one less pot on the stove. Anyone had any success?

http://www.pastaexpress.tv/index.html
    I haven't personally, but saw a review of the product that said it wasn't worth the $$$. I don't recall what the specific complaints were. It does seem to me, if you have to boil water for it anyway, you could just make extra pasta ahead and give it a quick soak in hot water before serving; this way you could even heat your water in the microwave, thus saving your stove.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Roasting Chicken

If anyone is available, how high should the oven be and how long should it take to roast a couple of chicken quarters in the oven? I have them in a roasting pan loosely covered with foil. I also anticipate adding rice to the cooking broth. Does anyone know when this should be added? Thanks in advance!

I went ahead and made it but it didn't come out so well. The rice was tough so I guess I added it in too late. I cooked it at 375 degrees for an hour and half. My b/f liked it but I thought it lacked flavor. I seasoned it really well but it didn't seem to "soak" in. Oh well, maybe next time it'll be better.

Thanks DesertRose and QueenB. I imagine it would be difficult to cleam with all the starch that would remain as well. Sometimes these tv gadgets work. Sometimes not. I won't bother then. Thanks

PGM35. Sorry about your chicken. I've never heard of adding rice right into the broth unless it's boiling. Or it's pre-cooked. Maybe that would have helped.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'm sorry about your recipe not turning out the way you wanted it to, PGM35. I used to have a recipe that called for mixing uncooked rice with chicken with rice soup and cream of chicken soup, then adding the chicken pieces and baking it with foil over the top. That was many years ago, and I lost the recipe. Since then I haven't had good luck with cooking it that way at all. I usually end up with crunchy rice because I can't get the liquid to rice ratio correct. I find it's just much easier to precook the rice first - at least that way I know it'll be okay.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Dinahann, I have a recipe like that. Here is the way it was given to me:

Chicken Rice Casserole

Blend the following ingredients together:

cup or less of melted butter
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    can of water

Reserve cup of soup mixture for top.

Add 1 cup of raw rice to soup mixture and mix well.

Pour into 9x13 pan and place 8 chicken pieces on top. Pour reserved soup on top of chicken.

Bake uncovered for 1-1/2 hours at 350F.
    Of course, any two cream soups would work. My fussy family doesn't care for mushrooms, so I use two cans of cream of chicken. We like lots of rice, so I usually increase the raw rice to 1-1/2 cups. I then increase the water to 3/4 can or so.

If the rice starts looking crispy after an hour, I cover it lightly with foil.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Anyone care to make an over-the-top snack? I've got my eye on the Beeotch Egg.

http://www.pimpmysnack.com/gallery.php

Veejer! That looks like the recipe for my chicken and rice with slightly different soups. Mmm, we're having chicken tonight so I think I'll try this recipe again. I wonder what it would taste like minus most of the butter, with fat free soup and brown rice. Probably not nearly as good.

Hep I love scotch eggs but that recipe looks to labor intensive for me!

ETA I had to eat a Healthy Choice tv dinner after looking at all the yummy snacks on that site, hep. Looking at the pictures of those huge burgers made me hungry.
    Last edited by Dinahann; 05-29-2006 at 02:31 PM.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Closed Thread