Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

roseskid, the Apple-Cinnamon Cake was a hit!!! And so easy. Although, I think next time I make it, I won't bother putting half of the sugar-cinnamon mixture in the middle of the cake and just put it all on top.

lambi, I am going to make that fruit salad for a dessert potluck tomorrow night.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    roseskid, the Apple-Cinnamon Cake was a hit!!! And so easy. Although, I think next time I make it, I won't bother putting half of the sugar-cinnamon mixture in the middle of the cake and just put it all on top.

lambi, I am going to make that fruit salad for a dessert potluck tomorrow night.
    veejer: I'm so happy that FoRT's recipe's have become the "One-Stop Shop" for such creative success in your life! I know that 1/2 of the recipes that I now make are from THIS thread; it's one of my favourite places on this site.

Regarding the fruit salad, I always try to add at least 1/2 of it in fresh fruit. It was a Winter Fruit Salad recipe and that's why there' so many canned goods but there's still apples and grapes that are available. If you can add a fresh berry or two, it makes a BIG difference.

Good luck and let me know what you think of it; I tell no one who eats it that it's "low fat". They'd hang me by my apron strings if I did!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    veejer: I'm so happy that FoRT's recipe's have become the "One-Stop Shop" for such creative success in your life!
    I'm sorry that I gave you that mistaken impression. Yes, I've gotten some great recipes from here that I've made repeatedly, but I've also made some that are one-timers. People have different tastes, after all. And I get recipes from other sources too.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Question -- what can I substitute for vinegar in a recipe? I'm going to make shrimp, and the recipe calls for vinegar but I'm not a big vinegar fan. What I really want is for someone to tell me it's ok to use wine instead. IS there something else I can use?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy you can use wine...in fact any acidic liquid, like lime or lemon, can be substituted.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Thanks, Texie!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Make sure it's fortified wine, chica!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Dinahann: This link is for a Foodie Friend of mine; she does a crackin' good job of indexing recipes. I've contributed a couple, but none of them sugar-free.

I think you'll find something here that meets your needs.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/sugar-fre...e-desserts.htm
    Yummmy... I recognize quite a few of those from the WW boards, too. The butterscotch and pumpkin pudding is a staple that we call Pumpkin Fluff and it is to die for!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Wheat and Sugar Free Pie:

Well there is no ADDED sugar - just natural fruit sugar in the fruit.

I can't find an exact recipe and have only seen it in one book, not online. So you may need to experiment a bit!

2 cups walnuts or other nuts that will chop well/ fourth cup raisins/ fourth cup apple juice

Mix to firm consistency in food processor. (Chop gently - just not at TOO low a setting cos I broke my Cuisinart that way, Lol - add raisins/juice a bit at a time til it seems right - test a bit of it in the glass pie plate if you wish). Should stick together (that's what the raisins are for) and press easily into glass pie plate. Cover bottom and sides of 9" glass pie plate (can use smaller plate if you wish!) evenly with mixture. This is your no bake "crust".

Get a quart of strawberries, at least several kiwi fruit, and at least 6 bananas. I can't recall just how many the recipe called for but even then I always used more. So to be on the safe side, come home with a passel (a LOT) of all the fruit... it sure can't hurt! Also one lemon or some bottled lemon juice if possible.

Slice bananas into a bowl. Lightly sprinkle about a spoonful or two of the lemon juice (fresh or bottled) over the sliced bananas. This will help prevent them turning brown before you can serve the pie.

Wash and slice the strawberries. Put those in a separate dish or bowl. Peel and slice the kiwi fruit. (I find it easiest to slice them right through the rind, and then chop and peel at the rind.) Put those in a separate container also (without the rind - I also sometimes remove that hard white center).

Now simply take the pie plate with the nut "crust" already in it, and layer the fruit one by one. (One layer of bananas; one layer of strawberries; one layer of kiwi; repeat.) You should have enough fruit to layer each fruit twice total for a total of 6 layers (2 of each three fruits) but it depends on the pie plate.

Now, just cover, and chill the pie in the refrigerator, until you are ready to serve it. Whipped cream is optional.

This really is delicious and it goes like hotcakes. Make sure to bring a sharp thing to cut the crust with like a pizza cutter, and a wedge shaped server to serve the pie with.

I'm sorry the amounts are not exact. Just buy extra! You can use other nuts or mixed nuts if you wish but don't make it all peanuts, it will be too peanut buttery tasting and they will crumble too much. Have extra of everything on hand, and just check for consistency. The nut crust has to be fairly smooth but stick, not too small of nut pieces, but not too large either, or the person could break a tooth/choke biting down on it. The apple juice makes it smoother and thinner and the raisins stick it together.

If you get the recipe down though it really does come out well. Sorry I could not be more exact. This is also a good one for people allergic to wheat or gluten though! PS it doesn't HAVE to be a glass pie plate but that one is best because it will not add a tinny flavor like a pie tin might.
    Last edited by Brandy; 05-22-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    I'm so glad everyone liked it, and if you leave out the sugar-cinnamon in the middle, it will be that much easier, right?
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Closed Thread