Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    lambi- Strawberries around here aren't very good most of the time. I was thinking of substituting some other fruit like maybe fresh peaches when they are in season or possibly a mix of fresh berries with some lemon zest instead of the orange. Do you think that would work?
    Marley, you may not have good strawberries but I bet the corn you get is mighty tasty around the 4th of July. mmm

Lambi, I am diabetic. I understand that some diabetics do eat sugar within reason, but I don't want to tempt fate, just my taste buds. Additionally, several other family members are diabetic and/or watching their weight, so if you've got some good recipes, please share!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann View Post
    Lambi, I am diabetic. I understand that some diabetics do eat sugar within reason, but I don't want to tempt fate, just my taste buds. Additionally, several other family members are diabetic and/or watching their weight, so if you've got some good recipes, please share!
    It seems that no matter where I go, people LOVE a well done fruit salad. Now that I know you can't have honey, I'll share a different one I make for my former MIL which is NO sugar except that from the fruit. There's no hard and fast rules: you can use whatever fruit is in season or whatever your group enjoys. I vary it with the season. I got the recipe from one of those free hand-outs at Whole Foods a couple of years ago. What I like about this dessert, aside from the taste is the ease of putting it together. I can buy EVERYTHING days in advance, without it spoiling, and I can toss it together in 1/2 an hour...tops! I use to bring baked goods to all my parties, but the prep time was so extensive that I had to cut back on the labor and find tasty things that wouldn't take away any of my precious free time. This recipe does the trick!

WHOLE FOOD'S FRUIT SALAD: NO SUGAR/NO FAT

1 (20 ounce) Can of Unsweetened Pineapple chunks, drained (you can actually use the drained juices, singularly or collectively, instead of the orange juice listed below.

1 (15 ounce) Can of Sliced Peaches in juice, drained

1 (11 ounce) Can of Mandarin Oranges, drained

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, seeded and diced

1 Handful of Green or Red Seedless Grapes

1 1/2 cups of Cold Skim Milk

1/3 cup of Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate or the reserved juices from drained fruit

1 (1 ounce) package of Sugar-Free Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix; I've also used Pistachio Pudding Mix but I don't think they make Sugar Free.

3/4 cup of Fat Free Sour Cream

1) In a large bowl, combine the fruit and set aside.

2) In another bowl, whisk together the milk, reserved juices OR the orange juice concentrate, and pudding mix for 2 minutes or until smooth.

3) Add the sour cream and mix well.

4) Fold mixture into fruit and cover and refrigerate until serving.

NOTE: Sometimes, depending on the crowd, I'll sprinkle chopped and toasted almonds over this at the very last minute. Also, I've added the zest of oranges or limes to the sour cream and that's also very, very good!!

I've also used red currants, and the berries: straw, blue and rasp when in season. I never take home the left overs as there aren't any remaining!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
    Marley, you may not have good strawberries but I bet the corn you get is mighty tasty around the 4th of July. mmm
    Damn right, sister. The highlight of the summer is when the sweet corn starts hitting the farmer's markets.

Thanks, lambi, the fruit salad sounds very good. Mmm, blueberries and almonds ... now I'm getting hungry.

Dinahann: This link is for a Foodie Friend of mine; she does a crackin' good job of indexing recipes. I've contributed a couple, but none of them sugar-free.

I think you'll find something here that meets your needs.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/sugar-fre...e-desserts.htm

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

lambi, that fruit salad sounds great! I think I'll give it a try.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Dinahann: This link is for a Foodie Friend of mine; she does a crackin' good job of indexing recipes. I've contributed a couple, but none of them sugar-free.

I think you'll find something here that meets your needs.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/sugar-fre...e-desserts.htm
    Oh my gosh, I'm in heaven. Thanks!

ETA The nutritional information is there too.

Oh my gosh, I'm in heaven. Thanks!

ETA The nutritional information is there too.
    Hey, you're so welcome, Dinahann. Glad I could help. With my passion for food, I've met some really nice friends on line and Mary Ellen is one of them. I didn't think of checking her site until after I posted the fruit salad recipe, hence the two posts. I'm hoping that between her site and the fruit salad, you'll come up with something with WOW!!! appeal.

Marleybone: My tastes have changed since I've gotten older and sweet-sweet-sweet no longer appeals to me. Although I don't have any food allergies or problems, if I can eat healthier (by default) I will. I like how you can vary the fruit salad radically and still it turns out well. I'm glad that I grab Whole Foods recipe cards throughout time; I've checked their site for several recipes that I cherish and they are no longer posted. This is one of them and another is for a cracking good root vegetable soup. Oh well, as long as I have them and share them, they won't get lost in time.

Dinahann, if you look on Splenda's website (think it's splenda.com) they have all kinds of dessert recipes. I know for a fact the apple pie is good, and not loaded with fat either. It's extra good with Granny Smith apples.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Closed Thread