Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

  1. #2351
    Just Forting Around roseskid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anticipating roses and broken hearts
    Posts
    7,271
    That sounds strangely wonderful SV, and reminds me of Critical's bizarre-sounding-but-excellent-tasting Apricot Chicken. I'm definitely going to give this a try.

    Here in So. Cal. we indeed have plenty of gorgeous strawberries already, and I like to use lemon zest and fresh blueberries in my recipes with them.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

  2. #2352
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,826
    lambi- Strawberries around here aren't very good most of the time. I was thinking of substituting some other fruit like maybe fresh peaches when they are in season or possibly a mix of fresh berries with some lemon zest instead of the orange. Do you think that would work?

  3. #2353
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978
    Anybody got a clue what to do with strawberry tomatoes? I'm housesitting at my parents, and I've got a pile of strawberry tomatoes and grape tomatoes I need to use up this weekend. I made a great tomato reduction with grape tomatoes a while back, and I'll do that again. But I've no idea about the strawberry ones, since I've never heard of them, and they're supposed to be really sweet. (There are too many to eat plain/in salads before they spoil.)

  4. #2354
    clap clap clap sleepysluggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    in oblivion
    Posts
    1,402
    I tried this corn chowder that I saw on Paula's Home Cooking. It was easy to make and delicious, but I made several changes to it:

    - I omitted the carrots and garlic, and used garlic powder instead
    - I left out the second stick of butter, which is used to top the soup near the end. That seemed like overkill.
    - I used fat-free half and half and yellow corn (but that's because mr. sleepy doesn't like white corn).
    - I added packaged, pre-cooked red potatoes after adding the half and half. I don't think I could ever make a chowder without potatoes. It also helps in thickening the soup.

    This recipe can easily be adapted in many different ways. I definitely recommend this one.

  5. #2355
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    lambi- Strawberries around here aren't very good most of the time. I was thinking of substituting some other fruit like maybe fresh peaches when they are in season or possibly a mix of fresh berries with some lemon zest instead of the orange. Do you think that would work?
    I don't know where you live, Marleybone but aren't the strawberries even good from a Farmer's Market? I've heard, but not had it established, that southern strawberries aren't very tasty because of the heat; they really need a cool spring to give them their zing which is why the Pacific Northwest and Michigan have such amazing berries. Maybe that's the problem.

    If you were going to have Peach Shortcake, I'd use almond extract in the dough recipe and and then take some almond slivers that have been crushed and place the top of the biscuits in that before I baked them. Peach is such a very delicate taste that I'd be afraid that using lemon zest in the dough would make it bitter and destroy the ephemeral nature of the peaches. I know that lemon juice is used in peach pie, but that's to prevent the fruit from turning brown and with the peach juices baking in the pie, it offsets the lemon's tang. You might also want to use the lightest of touches of nutmeg to the dough; that's a nice flavour with peach. But amonds and peaches...a blend made in Heaven!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

  6. #2356
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,826
    Farmer's markets here don't typcally have strawberries. There is a berry farm about 50 miles away where you can go pick your own, but that's too much work for me. I did get some decent ones today at the store but most of the time they aren't that good, it seems like they are picked when they are only half ripe.
    I meant that I would like to try lemon zest with fresh berries. Interesting about the almond extract with peaches, I have always used almond extract to enhance the flavor of cherries.

  7. #2357
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Farmer's markets here don't typcally have strawberries. There is a berry farm about 50 miles away where you can go pick your own, but that's too much work for me. I did get some decent ones today at the store but most of the time they aren't that good, it seems like they are picked when they are only half ripe.
    I meant that I would like to try lemon zest with fresh berries. Interesting about the almond extract with peaches, I have always used almond extract to enhance the flavor of cherries.
    Botanically, peaches and almonds are so closely related (Genus Prunus) that they can actually be grafted onto each other. That's akin to tissue typing for organ donors, so that's a close match! If you crack a peach's pit and eat the seed, it tastes identical to an almond, which...basically it is, only with a tasty fruit (exocarp) covering!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

  8. #2358
    Livin' the life Dinahann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Small Town USA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I've heard, but not had it established, that southern strawberries aren't very tasty because of the heat; they really need a cool spring to give them their zing which is why the Pacific Northwest and Michigan have such amazing berries. Maybe that's the problem.
    I live in Texas and our family just picked strawberries on my parent's farm last weekend. They were amazingly sweet and juicy. Yum! So I doubt if it's a southern thing, more likely a picked-them-before-they-were-ready thing.

    Peach is such a very delicate taste that I'd be afraid that using lemon zest in the dough would make it bitter and destroy the ephemeral nature of the peaches.
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. I've not found that the taste of peaches is short-lived at all. As a matter of fact, I find that peach cobbler is better the second or third day because the flavor is more pronounced. I do think almond would be a great addition to the flavor of the peaches, however.

    And now for my question. I went to a buffet last weekend and had a small slice of sugar free cakes that was delicious! Since I can't eat sugar I'm looking for sugar-free recipes for a dessert I can take to my parent's house for Memorial Day. Does anyone have a recipe that tastes great but, in addition to being sugar free, doesn't load up with 25 grams of fat for one little serving? I know that's asking for a lot, but I'm sure one of my FoRT friends can come through for me!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

  9. #2359
    Rude and Abrasive Texicana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in the kitchen, darling!
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,842
    Strawberries from Poteet Texas are so good they are celebrated in an annual festival and ice cream companies feature them in limited edition flavors.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

  10. #2360
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann View Post
    I live in Texas and our family just picked strawberries on my parent's farm last weekend. They were amazingly sweet and juicy. Yum! So I doubt if it's a southern thing, more likely a picked-them-before-they-were-ready thing.
    Well, I'm glad that strawberries are alive & kickin' down in Dixie! I'm basing my tiny Southern knowledge on Plant Forums, where people write in, bemoaning the fact that they can't have "...rhubarb and strawberries like I did back in (insert Northern State HERE). The answer from the expert is always the same, "These plants need a cool winter period and it's too hot in your zone." Maybe there's been strawberry cultivars developed that don't need a cold winter to do well.



    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. I've not found that the taste of peaches is short-lived at all. As a matter of fact, I find that peach cobbler is better the second or third day because the flavor is more pronounced. I do think almond would be a great addition to the flavor of the peaches, however.
    What I was trying to convey was that peach pies and cobblers that I've baked have a much lighter taste than the strong winey taste of strawberries or raspberries. I've never baked anything with peaches that lasted beyond the initial serving so I have no experience with 2 or 3 day old flavours becoming stronger. Even with peach wine vs. other fruit wines, the peach flavour is so subtle that you have to be careful to not mask it with stronger additives. I hope I'm clearer this time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    And now for my question. I went to a buffet last weekend and had a small slice of sugar free cakes that was delicious! Since I can't eat sugar I'm looking for sugar-free recipes for a dessert I can take to my parent's house for Memorial Day. Does anyone have a recipe that tastes great but, in addition to being sugar free, doesn't load up with 25 grams of fat for one little serving? I know that's asking for a lot, but I'm sure one of my FoRT friends can come through for me!
    Dinahann: Are you diabetic? Or can you use honey, sucrose or Sucrat(?) that natural sugar thing? My mother in law is diabetic and I've made several nice desserts for her, and I've also made some great desserts with honey and alternative sweetners for friends of mine allergic to corn syrup or sugar cane.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.