Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD
    Hubby made this for dinner the other night and it was absolutely fabulous!

Baked Shrimp with Tomatos and Feta

2 tbsp olive oil
    4 green onions thinly sliced
    4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    1 pint cherry tomatos halved
    salt and pepper
    1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen shimp, peeled and deviened, with tails removed
    2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
    4 oz feta cheese

Preheat oven to 475 and place rack on upper third of oven.
    Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and add green onions, garlic and oregano, cook stirring, 1 min. Add tomatos, cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until no liquid remains in skillet, about 10 min. season with salt and pepper.

Add shrimp and min to skillet, stir to combine and place all ingredients in a shallow 2 quart baking dish. Crumble feta over top.

Bake until liquid is bubbling and cheese is beginning to brown. About 15-20 min.

Great with rice or orzo pasta.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That sounds absolutely delicious, myrosiedog! I love shrimp, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese, so I'll definitely try this.

I'm a newbie when it comes to cooking (my boyfriend is the chef in our household), so I have no idea what orzo pasta is. A bit surprising, really, since I adore every shape, colour and variety of pasta known to man.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Orzo is this tiny pasta that looks like rice, Geek.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Marleybone and Roseskid: It's such a comfort to have two other "Foodies" at FoRT to rely on for questions, comments and help.

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and this list couldn't be more easy-peasy to do. However, I already know that I'm going to add fresh apples AND use cardamom instead of the cinnamon, since my Scandihoovian taste buds prefer that spice instead. Plus, Sally huffs that "American's and their love of cheese and cinnamon....", so I'll make my girl happier if I use cardamom.

Thanks so much for the help and reviews, Grrrls; I just wish I had time before Sunday to make this....you never know...with all the commercials on American Idol, I can probably make this in one show!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    I made this cake yesterday for Mother's Day. It's scrumptious and it couldn't be easier to make.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/images/beautyshots/r36243fp.jpg

WHAT? You were cooking on Mother's Day? That recipe does look really good and easy to make. I'm going to make that for my father, as he loves applesauce cake. He has a sweet tooth and will probably complain that it doesn't have frosting.

Roses, that cake looks awesome. I am going to have to give it a try sometime. I love cinnamon so that looks right up my alley!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Marley, I didn't notice that the apples sunk to the bottom of the pan, so I don't think that was a problem. We put a little whipped cream on top, sprinkled with cinnamon, and it wasn't too sweet even with the topping.
    Yeah, I just meant if lambi used raw apples because I was thinking of how chocolate chips tend to sink to the bottom if you don't just sprinkle them on top and I didn't know if the raw apples would do that too. I personally think the cake sounds perfect as is.

I tried this last night for my sweetie.

Instead of coating it and baking it in the oven, I put the chicken on the BBQ. And coated it with lemon pepper. It was great! It was too hot to put on the oven. The goat cheese and prosciutto are yummy! We had the chicken on a cold bed of spinach with red onions, and mushrooms. Then I made a summer tapenade as a side dish. It got rave reviews.

I got this off of AOL but don't have the link anymore.

Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Cooking Time: 30 minutes (Serves 4)

Ingredients:
    2 large eggs
    1 B/c cups panko (see Note)
    4 boneless, skinless chicken half breasts, about 6 ounces each
    4 large slices prosciutto (about 4 ounces)
    3 ounces herbed fresh goat cheese
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    20 ounces pre-washed spinach
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and lemon wedges for serving (about 1 lemon total)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Whisk the eggs lightly in a shallow bowl. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl or on a plate.

With a sharp knife, carefully cut horizontally about halfway into one breast to create a large pocket about the length and width of the breast. If possible, try to leave the ends uncut so the stuffing doesn't fall out.

Layer a folded piece of prosciutto along the insides of the pocket, then spread one quarter of the goat cheese over the prosciutto. Carefully close the opening and seal with a toothpick, if desired.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining breasts. Dip each breast completelyinto the egg, allow the excess egg to drip off, then dip into the bread crumbs. Pack the bread crumbs on to cover completely, then shake off any excess. Heat the oil in a large frying pan (or use more oil and two pans) over medium-high heat, until very hot.

Carefully place the chicken in the oil and fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

While the chicken is baking, remove and discard all but about 1 tablespoon of the oil from the frying pan used for the chicken, leaving the brown crispy bits in the pan. Return the pan to medium heat and add the garlic. Sautee briefly, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the spinach, a little at a time, stirring until it wilts. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the lemon juice. Divide the spinach mixture among 4 serving plates.

Arrange the breasts over the spinach, garnish with the lemon wedges, and serve.

NOTE: Panko, or Japanese bread crumbs, is available in the Asian food sections in some grocery stores and in Asian markets. You can substitute regular packaged or fresh bread crumbs.

My Summer Tapenade:
    Put a mixture of olives into the food processor and chop. I used pimento stuffed green olives (large), black olives, kalamato olives, calebrezie olives, roasted red peppers, and a jar of hot picked vegetables (including cauliflower and carrots). Add some fresh red peppers, garlic, onion, and EVOO. I could have added artichoke hearts as well but forgot. Chop finely. Keep cold as a side dish or use as a topping on the spinach salad. Or, put into a foil packet and heat up on the BBQ and serve.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Strawberry Shortcake

Although our nice warm weather has taken a dive into chilly and wet, I have no fear that the strawberry season is almost upon us. Here's a recipe that I've been making since I was a young married gal; I was reminded of it today when I got my weekly Bisquick mailing and they had this recipe featured. It has 17 reviews on the site: all are 4 and some of the bakers have been using this as long as I have...close to 30 years. Found out that Bisquick no longer has this printed on the side of their box. Pity, because there's a load of granny's that don't have the internet!

NOTE: I like to add the zest of one orange to the dough; it's delicious with the strawberries!

Classic Strawberry Shortcakes
    Shortcakes are the sweet sister to biscuits, and they make an awesome dessert when topped and filled with strawberries and whipped cream.

2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick® mix
    1/2 cup milk
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    Sweetened sliced strawberries
    Whipped topping or whipped cream

1. Heat oven to 425ºF.
    2. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, sugar and butter until soft dough forms. Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
    3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped topping. (Sweeten strawberries before making shortcakes so sugar has time to dissolve; for each quart of sliced strawberries, stir in 1/2 cup sugar.)

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft)
    Heat oven to 450ºF. Decrease sugar to 1 tablespoon.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=35769
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

You know how some recipes sound so horrible because of a weird mix of ingredients, but when you try them, they end up tasting great? I enjoy trying these strange-sounding recipes, and when the subject of chili powder recently came up, I thought of this one.

Festive Raspberry Mold

1 20-oz can pineapple chunks, undrained
    2 10-oz packages frozen raspberries, thawed
    2 6-oz packages raspberry gelatin
    3 ½ cups boiling water
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 tsp. Tabasco sauce (hot sauce)
    ½ tsp. salt
    1 cup chopped pecans

Drain pineapple chunks and raspberries, reserving liquid; set aside. Press raspberries through sieve. Set puree aside and discard seeds. Dissolve gelatin in 3 ½ cups boiling water. Stir in pineapple juice, raspberry juice, lemon juice, Tabasco sauce, and salt. Chill until the consistency of unbeaten egg white. Fold in pineapple, raspberry puree, celery, and nuts. Pour gelatin mixture into lightly-oiled 10-cup ring mold. Chill until firm.

Do they still make gelatin molds/rings? If not, any large bowl would work; it just won't be as decorative-looking.

Closed Thread