Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

misskitty,

Here's a link with several suggestions. If nothing else, you'll feel a little less "stupid." Apparently it is a pretty common mistake.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf477356.tip.html

Hope this helps.

MRD
    Almost Pizza (this is great for atkins or South Beach dieters).

1 pound of turkey italian sausage, casings removed, browned, crumbled and drained
    1 cup of low sugar spagetti sauce like Emerils
    1 tsp. of Italian seasoning
    10 pepperoni slices quarterd
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
    1/2 cup skim mozzerella cheese shredded

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a small casserole dish.
    layer the sausage, pepperoni, sauce, seasoning, parmesan and mozzerella cheeses and bake for about 20-30 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly.

You can add your other favorite toppings like black olives, mushrooms, onions, etc.

THis is low carb, low fat and really, really, really good crustless pizza.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you anemone! I got some vanilla in the microwave as I type. The smell in my house is awful and I've got the family coming over on Sunday for Mother's Day BBQ.

I'm going to try the nail polish remover...the one I have doesn't have acetone so I'll pop out and get some. Thanks for the link to the site. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

If I put some vanilla into my washing machine water will that take the smokey smell out of my clothes now?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Thank you anemone! I got some vanilla in the microwave as I type. The smell in my house is awful and I've got the family coming over on Sunday for Mother's Day BBQ.

I'm going to try the nail polish remover...the one I have doesn't have acetone so I'll pop out and get some. Thanks for the link to the site. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

If I put some vanilla into my washing machine water will that take the smokey smell out of my clothes now?
    Try putting baking soda in the washing machine. Or adding fabreeze to the rinse cycle. That should take the smell out of the clothes.

Put cups of white vinegar around your house and that will also help draw out the smell in the house.

And while you have the fabreeze, squirt it on the furniture, carpet, etc.

And then on Sunday, create a lovely Mother's Day ambience by lighting several scented candles and placing them around your house and as a centerpiece at your table. That also helps the smell. Then if anyone says anything about a burnt smell you can say: must be the candles.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks myrosiedog for that info. The house is smelling better today.

anemone: I bought some nail polish remover with acetone and it works! . Most of the yellow is out; it's not quite as white but 80% better. I actually poured it onto the inside of the microwave and then washed it with soap and water. What a difference! I still can't believe what a mess that burnt popcorn made. Makes me want to use my air popper once again!
    ------------------------------

If anyone saw Oprah yesterday, Rachel Ray had some great summertime recipes. Here's the link. There's quite a few and they sound YUMMO!

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows...060512_b.jhtml
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'm glad the tips anemone found worked...that was such a great thing for you to do to find that site, anemone.

I made this cake yesterday for Mother's Day. It's scrumptious and it couldn't be easier to make.

Apple-Cinnamon Cake
    Spice cake and apple pie filling combine to make one delicious cake!

1 package Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® spice cake mix
    1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Whipped topping

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease (or lightly spray with cooking spray) bottom only of 13x9-inch rectangular pan.
    2. Beat cake mix (dry), pie filling and eggs in large bowl on low speed 2 minutes. Spread half of the batter in pan. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half of the mixture over batter in pan. Spread remaining batter in pan; sprinkle with remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture.
    3. Bake 32 to 36 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; cool. Serve with whipped topping.
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=36243
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Roseskid: I usually avoid canned pie fillings (for pie) because I find them much too sweet for my taste buds. However, did mixing it into the dry cake mix mitigate the sweetness? Also, if you had a fresh apple, do you think that adding either slices or chunks of it to the batter would enhance it's appeal??? This looks so simple and exactly the type of thing I could whip up after dinner to have with a steaming cuppa tea.

Eagerly awaiting your response!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    lambi - I know what you mean about the canned fillings being too sweet. I have a recipe where you mix a can of cherry pie filling in with a box of chocolate cake mix, and I don't think the extra sweetness of the pie filling comes through as much when it's mixed in with something else. I wouldn't think that the apple filling would be as icky-sweet as cherry so it should be fine. I see no reason why you couldn't throw in some chopped apples into your cake mix though, maybe toss them in some apple pie spices and place them on top of the batter after you have poured it into the pan so they don't all sink to the bottom during the baking.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Roseskid: I usually avoid canned pie fillings (for pie) because I find them much too sweet for my taste buds. However, did mixing it into the dry cake mix mitigate the sweetness? Also, if you had a fresh apple, do you think that adding either slices or chunks of it to the batter would enhance it's appeal??? This looks so simple and exactly the type of thing I could whip up after dinner to have with a steaming cuppa tea.

Eagerly awaiting your response!
    Lambi, I really can't stress how great this cake is, especially if you like cinnamon and apples, as we do. I considered fooling around with it, but I was extremely busy Sunday, so I simply left it as is, and it was still fabulous. However, next time I'm going to add pecans and probably some nutmeg. You could easily add fresh apples, too. I pulled it out of the oven at the precise moment (just luck), and it was perfectly moist. I wish we had leftovers, yummo.

Marley, I didn't notice that the apples sunk to the bottom of the pan, so I don't think that was a problem. We put a little whipped cream on top, sprinkled with cinnamon, and it wasn't too sweet even with the topping.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    I'm glad the tips anemone found worked...that was such a great thing for you to do to find that site, anemone.

I made this cake yesterday for Mother's Day. It's scrumptious and it couldn't be easier to make.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=36243
    Yum, roses, this sounds delicious. I am supposed to bring the "goodies" to Bible study on Friday morning and I'm going to try this.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Closed Thread