Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

I want to make a chicken pot pie tomorrow but my usual recipe has a biscuit-like crust on top. Does anyone have a recipe for a crust that would be a little lighter and flakier?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I want to make a chicken pot pie tomorrow but my usual recipe has a biscuit-like crust on top. Does anyone have a recipe for a crust that would be a little lighter and flakier?
    lildago: I'm not sure if your biscuit topping is drop biscuits, which can be heavy. In my chicken pot pie recipe pages back, I used Pillsbury Flaky Biscuits to top the pie and they were exceedingly light and fluffy.

Otherwise, I guess you could go the 1950's route and use crushed cornflakes or crushed potato chips for a crunchy crust.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Yes, mine is like drop biscuits. I tried one in a restaurant last week that was really flaky and very light. It reminded me of a croissant almost.

MRD
    I use the Pillsbury already made pie crust to top my pot pie. It's great especially bathed in an eggwash before baking.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I thought of that myrosiedog. That's probably my best option at this point. Thanks.

lildago, one of my favorite ever chicken pot pies was made with phyllo dough laid across the top. Several layers of it. It was so tasty when it broke as you ate it and mixed it in with the chicken and goodness inside.

My mom used to make a thin pie crust that she would lay over the top and use her fork to poke a bunch of holes.

I'm craving chicken pot pie now but my husband won't eat it. I should just make a few small ones, freeze them and eat them myself.

MRD

NEED recipe help

Lambi or anyone else:

I made a huge pot of no bean turkey chili as that seems to be the one thing I can consistantly eat since my stomach surgery. Well I got this batch way too spicy and let's just say it didn't sit well in my tummy. AND I even put sour cream in my serving it to cut the spiciness.

Needless to say I can't eat this again at this level of spicy.

Is there anyway to "fix" it and make it less spicy???

My husband says put in lemon juice or vinegar as the acid will help cut the spiciness, but I'm afraid to do it if it will affect the flavor negatively.

HELP!

I have a huge pot that I don't want to throw out.

Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Lambi or anyone else:

I made a huge pot of no bean turkey chili as that seems to be the one thing I can consistantly eat since my stomach surgery. Well I got this batch way too spicy and let's just say it didn't sit well in my tummy. AND I even put sour cream in my serving it to cut the spiciness.

Needless to say I can't eat this again at this level of spicy.

Is there anyway to "fix" it and make it less spicy???

My husband says put in lemon juice or vinegar as the acid will help cut the spiciness, but I'm afraid to do it if it will affect the flavor negatively.

HELP!

I have a huge pot that I don't want to throw out.

Thanks
    Good thing you didn't listen to your husband, myrosiedog!!! All you would have been doing is substituting one over dose for another!

An old-old fashioned remedy for excessive spice in a dish is to throw in a couple of cut up potatoes, either cooked or raw. They act as sponges and the flavourings get sucked up into the potato. This also helps with over-salting, too. Mind you, it only works so much; if it's still too spicy for your delicate stomach then I'd recommend making another batch of turkey chili with NO spices and combine the two of them, which will result in the spices cut in half...and a hellofalota turkey chili!! However, you won't lose any of your hard earned time or money by adding new chili to the mix you have now.

But, I'd try the potato first, see if it helps after sitting in the chili over night. You toss the potato, afterwards. Or, I guess you could use it in something else that you wanted chili flavoured.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

rosie, I often make chili and at the end will use honey to tone down the spice.

Help Needed

I burned a bag of microwave popcorn badly last night (see How Stupid Are You thread). I poured water in it to stop it from burning but it made it smoke worse. So I threw it back into the microwave until it cooled down and stopped smoldering.

Problem: The water ran out onto the microwave botton and sides (inside). It was all icky yellow black like an ashtray full of tar from cigars I've tried dishsoap, vinegar and Bon Ami (Dutch cleanser) to no avail. It's stained and looks terribly dirty when it's not. Does anyone have any ideas of what will take off the stain without ruining the plastic interior? I need to be able to use it still.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Closed Thread