Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

My guess is that post is referring to this.

Even if it isn't, that still might be helpful for people.

MRD
    Is there a site where I can enter a recipe and get the nutrition info including calories?
    Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'd start with calorieking.com.

I just googled "recipe nutrition converter" and it looks like there are several freeware programs that you could download as well that might help.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    My guess is that post is referring to this.

Even if it isn't, that still might be helpful for people.
    Thanks for the link, Amanda. I couldn't figure out how to get from here to there, either. I've already bookmarked it; thanks!!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

This sounds really yummy Mango Chicken Quesadillas
    People seem generously ready to help Mexicans celebrate the holiday of Cinco de Mayo. Let's not overlook that this is also another great occasion to enjoy some of the favourite flavours of our times: those of Mexican cooking.
    Attachment 17141Attachment 17142
    Cinco de Mango Chicken Quesadillas, a festive dish for a holiday party or other occasion, as appetites dictate. These are quesadillas with a difference, full of colorful flavors, and including mango as an ingredient.

The holiday commemorates an important Mexican victory over French troops at Puebla, Mexico, on May 5, 1862, and the celebrations include parties and, most important, food. Here's an original recipe for quesadillas with a difference, full of colourful flavours, including mango - the tropical fruit that's a common ingredient in Mexico.

The quesadillas are filled with chicken coated with a chili pepper-based sauce and combined with sliced mangoes and Jack cheese.

Tips for managing your mangoes:
    -Mangoes are available year-round. They vary in size, shape and colour, but the flavours are fairly consistent.
    -Colour is not a determining factor of a mango's ripeness. The best way to determine if the fruit is ripe is to squeeze it gently. The mango should give slightly, but not be too soft.
    -To cut a mango, peel it first, using a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife. A mango has one seed in the centre of the fruit. To cut, place the mango with one of its narrower sides facing up. Starting 5 mm ( 1/4 inch) from the stem, slide along each side of the pit to cut off the "cheeks." Slide or dice as needed.

Mango Chicken Quesadillas
    2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 can (8 oz/250 g) tomato sauce
    1 dried ancho or pasilla chili pepper, stemmed and seeded
    Salt
    4 burrito-size (10-inch/25-cm) flour tortillas
    6 oz (175 g) thinly sliced Jack cheese
    1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup (50 ml) minced red bell pepper
    1/4 cup (50 ml) sliced green onions
    Mango Salsa (recipe follows)

Cook chicken on a lightly oiled grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and cooked through. Let cool slightly and cut into bite-size strips. (You may substitute leftover grilled chicken.)

In a blender or a food processor, puree tomato sauce and dried pepper. Transfer to a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add grilled chicken to pan and toss well to coat; season to taste with salt. Place flour tortillas on a flat surface. Top half of each tortilla with equal amounts of cheese, mango, bell pepper, green onion and chicken; fold over tortilla. Cook in a large skillet on both sides until cheese is melted and tortilla is crisp, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve with mango salsa.

Makes 4 entree servings, or 8 appetizer servings.

Nutrition information per entree serving: 560 calories, 30 g protein, 64 g carbohydrate, 19 g total fat (10 g saturated), 78 mg cholesterol, 1,380 mg sodium, 6 g fibre.

Mango Salsa
    1 large peeled, pitted and chopped mango
    1/3 cup (75 ml) chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 cup (50 ml) minced red onion
    1/2 tbsp (7 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 tbsp (7 ml) lime juice
    1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) salt

In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients. Serve with quesadillas.
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:28 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Here's the link to the recipe for Mango Chicken I posted below. Didn't realize we need to do that now.

http://channels.aol.ca/life/article....01110509990014

Who knew that I would need help "Managing" My Mangos!

Sally's mad for mangoes so she'll like all this information; thanks for passing it on, misskitty!!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Yum, sounds delicious. We love mangos here.

My husband works with a Mexican gentleman and he says that Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo more here than in Mexico. Sounds like we've taken another holiday like St. Patricks Day and turned it into a great eating and drinking holiday here.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like mangoes too but not papaya. It tastes like perfume to me.
    But if you like it here's a salsa from part of the Top Chef recipes for episode 9. Check the full recipe out on http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...64#post1891764 Actually this should taste great with mango instead

Fire roasted tomato and papaya salsa:
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    8 cloves of roasted garlic, sliced
    1 Maui onion, small dice
    One 32 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
    One papaya, sliced in half
    1 Tbsp. walnut oil
    2 Tbsp. chipotles with adobo
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp black pepper
    3/4 cup sugar

Method:
    Heat olive oil and add Maui onions and garlic and heat until caramelized, then add tomatoes. In a sauté pan, heat walnut oil and grill papaya with skin on and then remove papaya from the skin and add to the tomatoes. Then add all other ingredients and seasonings and reduce for 30 minutes on medium heat. During this process, use immersion blender to mix everything together into a slightly chunky salsa. Cool and re-season, as needed.

Herb-Roasted Chicken Breasts

3 large garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
    1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
    6 large chicken breast halves with skin and bones
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1/3 c. dry white wine

Preheat oven to 375°. Combine garlic, rosemary and thyme in small bowl. Arrange chicken in large roasting pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Rub with garlic mixture and drizzle with olive oil. Pour wine into bottom of pan. Bake chicken until just cooked through, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven.

Preheat broiler. Broil chicken until skin browns, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter and serve.

~~~~~~~~~
    I’m not sure where I originally got this recipe, but I cut it out of a magazine years ago. I forgot all about it until I went through some old recipes last weekend. I made this a few nights ago, and I used some hefty skinless, boneless chicken breasts and cooked them about 25 minutes, then broiled them just long enough to brown a little on the top. They were delicious, and if you like the smell of garlic and herbs, you’ll love the way the house smells. Last night we cut up some of the leftover chicken and put it cold on a large salad, and that was also delicious. I would think using the skinless chicken in a recipe like this would be diet-friendly, too.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Closed Thread