Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Lucy, I'll join those that have suggested Pillsbury's pie crusts. They're thin and easy to roll out and press into a pie plate.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD
    lambi said frozen pillsbury crusts, but I get mine in the refrigerated section where the biscuits are. they are rolled and you just unroll them.
    They are in a red box.

I prefer these. They come 2 to a package, but if you only use 1, you can freeze the other for later.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks, you guys, I'll check out the Pillsbury ones.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    lambi said frozen pillsbury crusts, but I get mine in the refrigerated section where the biscuits are. they are rolled and you just unroll them.
    They are in a red box.

I prefer these. They come 2 to a package, but if you only use 1, you can freeze the other for later.
    At my Jewel, the crusts are stored in the freezer; I've never seen them any other way. I only use them when I'm pressed for extreme time, so I buy them about 1 or 2 times a year. Maybe it's a space issue at my super market....
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

There should really be a thread for people who don't like to cook and who take as many short-cuts as possible! I'm currently addicted to Mayacamas Skillet Tosses:

You just saute whatever you want - meat, veggies, etc. in olive oil, add cooked pasta and then sprinkle on these mixes. They have a bunch of them but I love the spicy one and the pestos - green olive and black olive. I had a bag of those dried tortellini from Trader Joe's and when prepared like regular fresh pasta, they're horrid (either with butter and Parmesan or with red sauce). I sauteed some up with some olive oil and one of these spice mixes and

You can find them at larger supermarkets (Raleys/Bel Air in NorCal has them) or health food stores (because they're gluten free). I have nothing else to add to the Recipe thread because I don't cook from recipes, but I thought I'd share. Super easy dinner, especially when you've got no clue what to cook and you're out of pasta sauce. Oh, and no, I don't work for them or anything. My brother used to work for a company that distributed herbs and spices to various food companies and Mayacamas was one of them. I ended up with tons of samples from them.

Anyway, back to the actual cooking discussion.

There are actually pie crusts in the refrigerated section now, lambi. We used them last Thanksgiving. Much better than the frozen, imho, and I like that they're rolled instead of folded.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wow...my mouth is watering after reading this page. Sorry if this has been posted before, but this is a very useful page that I have bookmarked. It has conversions for just about everything!!:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Aaaaand I'm back! Here I am trying to come up with something for (late) dinner. I have chicken breasts, mushroom soup and pasta. I also have a can of artichoke hearts. Here's my problem: I've never used the canned artichoke hearts, so I don't know if this is normal. When I opened the can, it hissed like a can of soda. They smell okay, but I'm no expert. Can artichoke hearts go bad? The can seemed okay, although the top wasn't super flat.

Now I'm paranoid...... and hungry
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

MRD
    I wouldn't eat them. If the top isn't flat, then that's a bad sign and I've never had a can of them hiss at me before and I use them a LOT.

I would err on the side of caution and throw them out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I wouldn't eat them. If the top isn't flat, then that's a bad sign and I've never had a can of them hiss at me before and I use them a LOT.

I would err on the side of caution and throw them out.
    Yeah, I'm kind of leaning that way too....even though I really want to eat them. I'm dying for some veggies and I can't afford to go to the store. The longer they sit in the collander in the sink though, the more I think they smell funny too. This could just be my paranoia at work, but I don't think I'm going to take a chance, darn it.

Thanks for the input, MRD!

LOOKING FOR RECIPES

I need some high protien, low carb (no bread, rice, pasta, beans, potatos or corn) recipes.

I am really having a hard time finding something appetizing to eat.
    Everything that tasted good before surgery doesn't taste good now.
    It is getting very, very frustrating.
    Need something simple? I've made this WW recipe several times and really like it. FYI... if you want to cook it faster, it cooks just as well on high for 4-5 hours.

Crockpot: BBQ pulled pork

1 boneless pork tenderloin or boneless pork loin
    1 can Diet Coke or other zero-calorie dark cola
    1 c ketchup
    1 chopped onion
    1 tsp garlic powder
    Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients but the pork. Place the pork in the crockpot and cover with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 10-11 hours. Shred the pork and enjoy.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Closed Thread