Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD

Scalloped Pineapple for Easter Ham

This is a GREAT sidedish for an Easter ham.

I got this recipe from a 95 year old delightful woman at our church who made it every week for the potluck at church AND still bowled in a league.

4 cups bread cubes (good old, squishy white bread, crusts removed)
    1 cup sugar
    3 whole eggs beaten with 1/2 cup cream or milk (use cream)
    1 large can chunk pineapple, drained but not too dry (you want some juice)
    1 can crushed pineapple, drained, but not too dry
    1/2 cup butter

Put bread, sugar, eggs and cream, pineapple in bowl and mix well. Put in buttered 13 x 9 casserole. Dot top with bits of the butter.

Bake 1 hour at 350.

I have never taken this anywhere that I didn't get several requests for the recipe.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    ....you're not a Gemini, are you, misskitty?
    No. Scorpio, through and through

myrosiedog: Your recipe sounds wonderful for Easter or anytime. Thanks!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I made this recipe tonight and it was very well received. Low in fat and high in taste!

There is only one little problem: I thought the white beans tasted a little bitter. Usually it's the broccoli rabe, but I like that taste. It was the white beans taste that bugged me a little. Is there anything I can add that would take out the taste? A little salt maybe? Would this recipe be also good with chick peas?

Ditalini with pesto, beans and broccoli rabe
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107143

8 ounces ditalini or other short tube-shaped pasta (about 2 cups)
    1 pound broccoli rabe, cut into 2-inch pieces
    1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained

1 7-ounce container purchased pesto
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water 3 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and boil until broccoli rabe is just crisp-tender and pasta is just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes longer. Drain pasta and broccoli rabe, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta and broccoli rabe to pot.

Meanwhile, bring vegetable broth and crushed red pepper to simmer in medium saucepan. Add beans and simmer until beans are heated through, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add bean mixture, pesto, and vinegar to pasta and broccoli rabe. Stir well, adding pasta cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in shallow bowls.
    Also:I added a thin drizzle of EVOO and some parmeggiano reggiano on top.
    Makes 4 servings.

Hey, I've got a crust question: I want to make a quiche, but I don't really want to fool with making a crust. Does the average grocery store sell a crust that's not a sweet pie crust? I looked in the cake aisle and found graham cracker pie crusts, and looked in the frozen food aisle and found regular pie shells. Is that what I'm supposed to use, or did I overlook some fabulous unflavored ready-made pie shell?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy, I can't remember the last time I made a quiche, but a friend of mine made one not that long ago, and I'm pretty sure she used a frozen regular pie shell from the market, and it was great. I don't recall thinking it was too sweet or anything. Perhaps Trader Joes has a shell that's better, but I think the market-kind is probably just fine.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Hey, I've got a crust question: I want to make a quiche, but I don't really want to fool with making a crust. Does the average grocery store sell a crust that's not a sweet pie crust? I looked in the cake aisle and found graham cracker pie crusts, and looked in the frozen food aisle and found regular pie shells. Is that what I'm supposed to use, or did I overlook some fabulous unflavored ready-made pie shell?
    When I've made a quiche before I've used just the regular frozen pie shells...taste alright to me!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Fort Member
    Its just my taste but I find the frozen pie shells to be too thick so i use the frozen puff pastry sheets (pampas lite puff pastry sheets) they are thinner and easy to just press into a pie plate. I just dont like alot of pastry with my quiche. You could use the shortcrust sheets if you prefer but I like the flakyness of puff think it goes better with Quiche. Like I said its just my taste.

MRD
    Pillsbury makes GREAT crusts that are in the refrigerated section where their biscuits are. Just unroll into a pie pan and use.
    I find these to be MUCH better than the frozen pie shells.

(pie crust typically doesn't have sugar in it. My MIL makes her with flour, butter and ice water and that's it)

LOOKING FOR RECIPES

I need some high protien, low carb (no bread, rice, pasta, beans, potatos or corn) recipes.

I am really having a hard time finding something appetizing to eat.
    Everything that tasted good before surgery doesn't taste good now.
    It is getting very, very frustrating.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog, a while back Lambi posted a recipe for spicy pork chops in the crock pot. If you leave out the corn and not serve it over rice or potatoes, it might suit you. It is very flavorful.

Recipes

eta: My sister sticks to a strict low-carb diet and swears that mashed cauliflower is an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes. Especially with gravy or a sauce.
    Last edited by veejer; 04-11-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post

Lucy: I know that this isn't the ready-made pie crust you were after, but it's one of those "pat into the pan" types that you don't have to roll out and fear tearing. Oddly enough, I got this via email yesterday, just in time for your question. And, I agree with myrosiedog: Pillsbury makes the BEST frozen pie crusts; they are thin as can be and neutral in taste, too.

EASY CHEESE AND BACON QUICHE

A press-in-the-pan Bisquick® crust? Serving quiche has just become extra easy.

1 1/4 cups Original Bisquick® mix
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 tablespoons boiling water
    1 package (6 oz) sliced Canadian bacon, chopped
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz)
    4 medium green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
    1 1/2 cups half-and-half
    3 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate with shortening. Stir Bisquick and butter until blended. Add boiling water; stir vigorously until soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom and up side of pie plate, forming edge on rim of plate.
    2. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onions over crust. In medium bowl, beat half-and-half, eggs, salt and red pepper with spoon until blended. Pour into crust.
    3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until edge is golden brown and center is set.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...?recipeId=6594

And here's one, where you pour the crust inside! Easy as can be!!

IMPOSSIBLY EASY HAM & SWISS QUICHE

It’s restaurant-style quiche at home! This easy ham and Swiss cheese pie is sure to be a family-pleasing entrée.

1 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked fully cooked smoked boneless ham
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
    1/4 cup chopped green onions or chopped onion
    1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
    1 cup milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt, if desired
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 eggs
    1 tomato, sliced
    1 green bell pepper, cut into rings

1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle ham, cheese and onions in pie plate.
    2. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, salt, pepper and eggs until blended. Pour into pie plate.
    3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Garnish with tomato and bell pepper.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34583
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread