Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

giz
    I think spinach is maybe too strong a flavour to sneak into stuff. They might eat it raw with a dip, but cooked it's a little bitter for most young tastebuds. I've had success with putting broccoli and zuchinni into pasta sauce. Your daughter sounds lovely, very tactful. Is she year of the rabbit by any chance? (1999)

Thank you, giz. My daughter is actually pure cat. Year of the tiger and Leo!

She eventually learned to love veggies, spinach salad became of her actual favorites.

giz
    Is she very larger than life? That's how I picture tigers, very dramatic and fascinating. My best friend and my daughter are both Leos and they are very shy, so not typical at all. I'm a rabbit, and we live for tact (fine food and pampering).

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    I'm thinking of teaching a course on how to hide fruit and vegetables from your children (smoothies, chocolate beet cake that sort of thing). Does anyone have a favourite sneaky way of getting the good stuff into them?
    I used to grate zucchini and carrot in meatloaf. The zucchini kind of "disappears", but you can see the orange carrot. This made it really moist as well, but eventually she caught on to the carrot. But never the zucchini tho.

For Easter I make easter basket cakes. I bake cupcakes in flat bottomed ice cream cones. Frost them white, put dyed green coconut on the icing and then jelly beans. We use a pipe cleaner to make a handle. Have made these for YEARS!

I also make a divine scalloped pineapple recipe that a 95 year old friend gave me, she made it once a week for church suppers at 95. IT goes GREAT with Ham on Easter too.
    I'll have to dig it out and post it later.
    It's really easy, but I can't remember the exact proportions.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    Is she very larger than life? That's how I picture tigers, very dramatic and fascinating. My best friend and my daughter are both Leos and they are very shy, so not typical at all. I'm a rabbit, and we live for tact (fine food and pampering).
    Yes, giz, she is rather larger than life - determined, focused, outspoken, opinionated, a leader. All this wrapped around a community/civic minded, generous heart. She is now in college and studying nutrition and bio-chemistry, among other things, with an eye toward early childhood nutrition/world hunger. Sorry for the thread jack.

For DesertRose : I got this recipe for banana pancakes from my aunt a few months ago and my family asks for them all the time!

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2 Tbs sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1-1/3 cups milk
    3 Tbs vegetable oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 banana, mashed (I usually use 2)
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips, if desired

Sift first 4 ingredients together in a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in another bowl. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Stir in walnuts or chocolate chips if desired. Cook as usual.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Wow lildago. I didnt' know banana pancakes have CHOCOLATE CHIPS in them! Now that sounds like a winning recipe! Thanks.

I just thought I'd update lambikins and everyone about my first attempt at making crepes. The batter mixed up very well and I let is set for just over 1/2 an hour. I couldn't wait any longer. I didn't read the part about measuring when you pour, so one of them turned out too thin and one too thick. I think it's a matter of practice too.

Then I made up some scrambled eggs with flakes of ham, green onion, shredded marble cheese, parsley, chives, salt, pepper, and used that as a filling as I didn't have ingredients for fancier ones.

Was it ever good! So light and easy to make. I didn't realize that you can bake them in the oven with sauce so they are better, but I was so hungry by that time, I just had to pour some ketchup over them and eat 'em up quick! (sorry lambikins, I realize that ketchup and crepes don't really go together) If I was making more than one, I would do the baking thing for sure.

For just me, this turned out ok and I'm game to try more difficult ones in the future.

Thanks again lambikins for your recipes and culinary expertise!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

giz
    I bought myself a panini machine yesterday ($35 at the Superstore). I am so thrilled with it. It is the yummiest thing ever. I've got a great book out of the library on panini and have two more I"m waiting for. I've got some chocolate cinniamon bread in the bread machine and tomorrow morning for the kids' breakfast I"m going to try sweet panini. I thought it might be yummy to use the chocolate bread and put in nutella and fresh raspberries. It sounds gorgeous, I'll let you all know if it is as good as it sounds tomorrow.

Right after that I have to go and clean a client's house. After a breakfast like that I should go back to bed and have my feet massaged by a band of trained eunuchs.

Thanks Lildago, I'm sure my son will love them

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I just thought I'd update lambikins and everyone about my first attempt at making crepes. The batter mixed up very well and I let is set for just over 1/2 an hour. I couldn't wait any longer. I didn't read the part about measuring when you pour, so one of them turned out too thin and one too thick. I think it's a matter of practice too.

Then I made up some scrambled eggs with flakes of ham, green onion, shredded marble cheese, parsley, chives, salt, pepper, and used that as a filling as I didn't have ingredients for fancier ones.

Was it ever good! So light and easy to make. I didn't realize that you can bake them in the oven with sauce so they are better, but I was so hungry by that time, I just had to pour some ketchup over them and eat 'em up quick! (sorry lambikins, I realize that ketchup and crepes don't really go together) If I was making more than one, I would do the baking thing for sure.

For just me, this turned out ok and I'm game to try more difficult ones in the future.

Thanks again lambikins for your recipes and culinary expertise!
    Since there's currently a slight astrology theme in this thread, you're not a Gemini, are you, misskitty? I laughed my head off when I read about your impatience; it reminds me of Sally! When she's hungry, that girl can EAT, and I've seen her rip the top off of packages and boxes with her bare teeth, just to get at the food! You'd think the poor thing never ate but she has a metabolism like a hummingbird and has to devour food every waking moment to sustain her 102 pounds.

That's GREAT about the crepe success, misskitty! Since they were your very first ones, the "too thin/too thickness" of them can be off. I made chocolate crepes this weekend with strawberry ice cream inside and diced bananas; rather like a crepe-y banana split. They were so good and so well received, we're having them again for dessert this Easter! I can't wait to hear what else is cookin' and I'm glad that the recipes I sent you were such a hit.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread