Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

As Easter is fast approaching I thought of my fellow forters with children or those have a love of baking. I saw this in a kitchen catalogue from Canada. It's from AshtonGreen.com. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to make, but these cake-eggs sure look yummy. And they would be really pretty if you put fancy colored icing on them as well. Yum!

Attachment 16878Attachment 16877Attachment 16876
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:24 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    As Easter is fast approaching I thought of my fellow forters with children or those have a love of baking. I saw this in a kitchen catalogue from Canada. It's from AshtonGreen.com. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to make, but these cake-eggs sure look yummy. And they would be really pretty if you put fancy colored icing on them as well. Yum!

Attachment 16878Attachment 16877Attachment 16876
    Those cakes are "a piece of cake" to make, misskitty. Only one thumbprint would enlarge (the first one) but it looks like they relied on the pan to do all the decorating and simply glazed them with a powdered sugar glaze. I've got similar pans for Christmas, where they are wreaths and ornaments; I use a very light-coloured batter and when they pop out, with all the intact decorations, I frost them with a pastal-coloured glaze and stick a couple of sprinkles on them. Very simple but high in the "Ooooooo" factor.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anemone View Post
    Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.
    Anemone, your cake sounds really great. I think I may try it for Easter. What size pan do you recommend? It seems like you only need one from the instructions, so I was wondering if it was a single round layer or a sheet or something I haven't considered. Thanks!

giz
    For Easter I always make hot cross buns. Is that an Anglo-English thing or do you Americans eat them too? I also make cookies out of coconut and chocolate and other stuff, bake them round and depress a little hole in the centre. Then when they're done I put in a little candy egg. They are like birds nests. Very cute.

giz
    I'm thinking of teaching a course on how to hide fruit and vegetables from your children (smoothies, chocolate beet cake that sort of thing). Does anyone have a favourite sneaky way of getting the good stuff into them?

No ideas, but if I were closer I would take the class. I can't get any veggies but carrots into my daughter.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    I'm thinking of teaching a course on how to hide fruit and vegetables from your children (smoothies, chocolate beet cake that sort of thing). Does anyone have a favourite sneaky way of getting the good stuff into them?
    Is zucchini, carrot or banana cake healthy?
    I know you can substitute applesauce for oil in some recipes.
    And my son loves my homemade banana bread but I wonder if he is getting any nutrients from it? Also-egg rolls-but I think the deep frying probably cancels out the goodness from the cabbage and carrots. What I need is a sneaky way that also disguises the flavors and textures.

I think it's a losing proposition...you get a lot of vitamins from baking with veggies, but you also get an awful lot of sugar and fat. Seems to me, any kind of cake that's any good is really bad for you! I don't care for the no fat/applesauce ones.
    And oh yeah, I'll be baking a totally bad for you coconut cake tomorrow : for L's birthday. Since he's close enough for an Easter baby, I'm sticking jelly beans all over it too.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

giz
    Oh, I don't know what a dietician would say, but personally for me, if it's homemade and not full of preservatives I say go for it. We need some oil in our diet, and I think sugar's okay in moderation. I think you've got to think about the nutrients they are getting from the vegetables and fruit (vitamin A in carrot cake, potassium in bananas for example), and say that better they get it there than not get it. Also, you can then begin to point out to them that if they like fruit and veg in cake they might like it elsewhere.

I bake everyday, and me and the kids eat it. My blood pressure's really low, my cholesterol is fine (there's a lot of heart disease in my family and stoutness, but not in me), and I'm a size 6 (and the kids are slim). It's all about moderation, and balance. I eat fairly small portions, I don't eat meat (ethical pesco-veg), and I eat quite a lot of vegetables. Homemade chocolate chip cookies, brownies, banana loaf etc. don't seem to be doing me much harm.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Anemone, your cake sounds really great. I think I may try it for Easter. What size pan do you recommend? It seems like you only need one from the instructions, so I was wondering if it was a single round layer or a sheet or something I haven't considered. Thanks!
    Either two 9 inch rounds or one 9 X 12 rectangle will work.
    Hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    Does anyone have a favourite sneaky way of getting the good stuff into them?
    This is hardly original, but I used to puree veggies to put into spaghetti sauce. I tried it with spinach once. My daughter, then 4, tasted the difference right away and didn't like it. Still, she tried to be diplomatic by saying, "Mom, this spaghetti sauce is not my favorite."

Closed Thread