Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD
    Lambi,
    Thanks so much. I will try to get hubby to go to Walmart and see if they have it.

I can't do salads, but the frittatas and the salmon with dill and wine sound divine. I love fritatas anyway.
    And the creamed chicken with mushrooms sounds good too.

And thanks for the well wishes, I am feeling better every day.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosie, since the sweet in the popsicles appeals to you, do you think you could bake some chicken glazed with some of that all fruit preserves (like Polaner's or Smuckers 100% fruit spread) in apricot or peach melted with a little butter?
    Or, do you remember ever eating "polynesian chicken" in the 60's?
    The recipes I see now aren't like what I remember...Mom says just put your chicken pieces in a cassarole dish, cover with a 16 oz can of pineapple chunks, reserving the juice. add soy sauce to taste to the juice and pour it over the chicken and fruit, plus a little hot sauce if you like, and bake it at 375 F for an hour.
    Is the real fruit too much carb for you, or is it mostly pure sugar and starches you shouldn't eat?
    Maybe some milkshakes made with Splenda, or sugar free Instant Breakfast, to keep the nutrients going?
    And yes, I discovered Everglades while picking up some stuff to cook fish in Steinhatchee; now I grab a few every time I'm down that way. I did see it in one Publix here in GA recently, though!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Rosie, since the sweet in the popsicles appeals to you, do you think you could bake some chicken glazed with some of that all fruit preserves (like Polaner's or Smuckers 100% fruit spread) in apricot or peach melted with a little butter?
    Or, do you remember ever eating "polynesian chicken" in the 60's?
    The recipes I see now aren't like what I remember...Mom says just put your chicken pieces in a cassarole dish, cover with a 16 oz can of pineapple chunks, reserving the juice. add soy sauce to taste to the juice and pour it over the chicken and fruit, plus a little hot sauce if you like, and bake it at 375 F for an hour.
    Is the real fruit too much carb for you, or is it mostly pure sugar and starches you shouldn't eat?
    Maybe some milkshakes made with Splenda, or sugar free Instant Breakfast, to keep the nutrients going?
    And yes, I discovered Everglades while picking up some stuff to cook fish in Steinhatchee; now I grab a few every time I'm down that way. I did see it in one Publix here in GA recently, though!
    I could probably use the sugar free preserves. I can have fruit, but not refined sugar or starches. I can't eat pineapple or celery yet as its too fiberous for me to digest. But that chicken sounds WONDERFUL.

I had a smoothie this morning made with low fat plain yogurt, milk, frozen strawberries, splenda and some unflavored protein powder. It tasted nasty, but I managed to get it down. I don't know why my tastes are off. Hubby made a chicken parmesan out of South Beach tonight that was good.
    I am drinking a protien drink called protien ice everyday. it's like gatoraid and its sweet too, but it has artificial sweetner in it. I guess its more like koolaid than gatoraid. It's funny but meat is really turning me off. All kinds of meat. I can eat cheese with no problem.

I think I will try the chicken with the sugar free preserves.

I've lost 31 pounds as of today, so I'm happy about that!

As for the Everglades, I run a blackmarket distribution company for Everglades, so if you ever run out, let me know. I have a couple people I ship it too that can't get it where they live.

myrosiedog: Congrats on the weight loss!

The only suggestion I have is to replace plain yogurt with vanilla flavored. It's not as sour. More sweet and tends to mix better with other flavors I find.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    myrosiedog: Congrats on the weight loss!

The only suggestion I have is to replace plain yogurt with vanilla flavored. It's not as sour. More sweet and tends to mix better with other flavors I find.
    Can't have vanilla yogurt, only plain. I am on a VERY restrictive diet at the moment and that is part of the problem. In a couple weeks, some of these restrictions will be lifted and I will be able to eat semi-normally.

MRD
    Sorry for the double post, but too late to edit.

I am putting together a memorial cookbook for my friend that died of cancer 2 weeks ago. We got in touch with some of the fundraising cookbook publishing companies and we are going to have sections of his recipes (he was a wonderful cook with a wide variety of good recipes), recipes from his friends and family and then recipes from co-workers and customers. He was the seafood manager at a large grocery store and many customers used to trade recipes with him and he even made friends out of customers and had them over at his house for dinner.

When we get it published, we are going to sell them and donate the money to the American Cancer Society and Hospice in his name.

I've never put a cookbook together before, so anyone with any hints or ideas or if you want to buy a finished one when we get them published, let me know.

This is going to be a great tribute and lasting legacy to a great man and even greater cook.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but too late to edit.

I am putting together a memorial cookbook for my friend that died of cancer 2 weeks ago. We got in touch with some of the fundraising cookbook publishing companies and we are going to have sections of his recipes (he was a wonderful cook with a wide variety of good recipes), recipes from his friends and family and then recipes from co-workers and customers. He was the seafood manager at a large grocery store and many customers used to trade recipes with him and he even made friends out of customers and had them over at his house for dinner.

When we get it published, we are going to sell them and donate the money to the American Cancer Society and Hospice in his name.

I've never put a cookbook together before, so anyone with any hints or ideas or if you want to buy a finished one when we get them published, let me know.

This is going to be a great tribute and lasting legacy to a great man and even greater cook.
    myrosiedog: With everything else you have on your plate right now, I take my hat off to you that you'll also be adding this noble cause to your To Do List.

A friend of mine, Michele, works at a bar in Michigan that serves lots of local favourites of customers. It's a "townies" place, so they have Sam's Fried Catfish, Steve's Rib's, Patty's Western Omelette, etc. They finally put together a cookbook that they sell there, and Michele used THIS service to do the stuff on her home computer.

Hope this link helps you: http://www.cookspalate.com/how-to-pu...a-cookbook.htm
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Myrosiedog, that's a lovely idea. You might contact a local church for advice -- I say that only because I know churches often put together cookbooks of members' recipes (my mother's church did) and so they might have suggestions of how to do it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Along Lucy's suggestions: you could also visit a Public Library and look at their local cookbook collections. Often, the publisher will be listed in the front or back and you could compare several styles and be ahead of the game when you call the publisher, if you decide to go that route.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Thanks guys, I actually googled cookbook fundraising publishers and there are a bunch, and many of them had free kits to send, so I have ordered several free kits and we will see from there. Most advertised that you can email them the recipes and they catorgorize them, etc. HOpefully the kits start arriving soon as I am already getting tons of recipes emailed to me. I set up a separate email account just for the recipes.

I figure I am feeling much better, can't drive yet, so am bored to tears and now that I feel better and am not at the hospital or hospice all the time, I have more free time to put this together. Besides I was needing a project. I told my husband I was ready to go out and volunteer somewhere again.

I appreciate the advice. I'll keep you all posted how its going.

Closed Thread