Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Yeah, 10 hours is a pretty long time for ANY kind of cooked food to be left out, Jewls. If there's meat in them, I wouldn't chance it, but maybe a vegetarian one would be OK?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

For the crepe-cookers around here, I saw an article in the paper today that might be interesting, as it contained a neat little bit of information...

Q: Where can I buy Wondra or Pillsbury Shake & Blend flour? Could you please point me in the right direction?

A: Those quick-mixing flours are great for making crepes because there's no need to let the batter rest before cooking. And they also turn out lump-free gravies and sauces. While I couldn't find either brand at the grocery stores in your immediate neighborhood, I did find Wondra flour for $2.79 for a 2-pound box at Kroger,
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    roseskid, I've made the zucchini bread twice now! It's a hit! Even my picky non-vegetable eating 4yo loves it. Today, I made her a special loaf in a small heart shaped cake pan.
    I'm glad the kids approve...it's great to sneak veggies in them when they're not looking.

Jewelsy, what a shame about your food, but I hope you took everyones' advice and tossed it.

Queenb, that's interesting about the quick-mix flours.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    I'm glad the kids approve...it's great to sneak veggies in them when they're not looking.

Jewelsy, what a shame about your food, but I hope you took everyones' advice and tossed it.

Queenb, that's interesting about the quick-mix flours.

I used to grate zucchini and carrots into my meatloaft. Made it very moist and my kid got veggies. The zucchini kind of disappears, but you can see the carrot. I got away with this for a long time until she got smart and realized the orange was carrot. But I kept doing the zucchini.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I used to grate zucchini and carrots into my meatloaft. Made it very moist and my kid got veggies. The zucchini kind of disappears, but you can see the carrot. I got away with this for a long time until she got smart and realized the orange was carrot. But I kept doing the zucchini.
    MRD, that is so smart. We moms need to be creative at times, don't we? When I was little I remember my mom mashing turnips, and telling us they were a new kind of potato. I didn't buy it for a minute. :nono She also tried to pass off spinach as mashed broccoli (which I loved). I didn't buy that either...I think she gave up after that.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MRD
    Ok, here's a real challenge for you guys.

Since my surgery, I have to eat mainly protien and then a few veggies and fruit. I am not restricted to which protiens except for things like pork and steak or roasts right now. I can have any veggies, but I cannot have carbs such as bread, rice, pasta, cereal, flour, etc.

My tastes have also changed, so its been a challenge to find something good to eat.

I can also have yogurt plain and vanilla flavored. I can have spices and condiments.

My husband has been cooking and to tell you the truth, part of it is that he is just cooking without adding anything but salt and pepper. Like the fish we had last night. It was ugh. He baked it with salt and pepper. It was blah.

I need some ideas for fish, seafood, poulty that is flavorful, soft and easy to digest.
    I'm sick of plain steamed veggies too. He really has no imagination in the kitchen right now and I'm not able to stand at the stove for long periods.

I can have small amounts of butter, low fat mayo, all herbs and spices, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and even a little low fat sour cream.

I am supposed to eat 4 meals a day and I'm having a hard time getting them in because one, I am not hungry at all and 2 what I am getting doesn't taste good, so I don't want to eat it.

HELP!!!!!

Lambi, I need you!!!!!
    And everyone else too!

Thanks

Fort Member
    Myrosiedog, try this one
    Mix 1tbs olive oil, 1tbs french mustard,1/2 cup lemon juice and black pepper
    Pour over some chicken fillets that have been butterflied or even sliced
    Chop up some pumpkin or butternut squash into bite size pieces, microwave until just soft but still very firm
    Heat fry pan
    Cook chicken fillets remove from pan and keep warm
    Toss pumpkin into fry pan with some corn kernals (fresh or tinned) stir until brown add some baby spinach leaves to the fry pan stir until they wilt.
    Place vegetables on a plate and top with chicken
    Its one of my favourite low carb, high protein, low fat meals
    Also low in mess, very quick and full of flavour and even my husband can cook it.
    Oh, and if you dont have baby spinach leaves you can use english spinach or silverbeet, we dont have pumpkin in a can here so I dont know if it would work as I imagine that pumpkin in a can is always pureed? One day I am going to have to get someone to send me a can as it just fasinates me
    Last edited by Lucynda; 03-27-2006 at 02:23 AM.

Rosie, why don't you make some good chicken stew with a bunch of garlic, onions, red bells, celery and whatever else you want to add...easy, and won't require you standing over the stove.
    Or, boil some shrimp with Old Bay and lemon--5 minutes!
    If your husband bakes fish again, tell him to add a little chili powder or cajun spice, or Everglade seasoning, and drizzle it with a little olive oil...don't
    overbake!
    How about a big omelet with mushrooms, onions, peppers and so forth? (can ya have cheese?)
    If I was a wee bit further South, I'd make you some meals that just needed to be heated up....I'll post something else if I think of it.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Those sound good. I'd have to serve my stew without the liquid as I cannot have solids and liquids at the same time.

As for pumpkin, we only get the canned purreed stuff. It's actually very good and I use it in a variety of recipes in the fall, but only once have I used a real pumpkin to make something and what a pain in the butt. So I prefer the puree.

And Queenb, you know about Everglades seasoning? I LOVE Everglades. It is my favorite in the whole world and we use it often. And if you lived closer, I'd take you up on that offer.

My husband's birthday is this weekend and he wants BBQ ribs and swamp cabbage (heart of palm). I can't make teh swamp cabbage without Everglades seasoning. That is the most important seasoning besides bacon in the recipe.

Well we dug out my South beach diet cookbook last night and a lot of the recipes are actually on my eating plan as far as ingredients. So last night he made Balsamic salmon which was pretty good. It wasn't great because my tastes have changed so much. That is the problem. Things I liked before don't taste good to me now. It's very weird, but apparantly common according to the dr. The only thing I am really loving right now is sugar free popsicles, but those have no nutrional value except to get liquids in me.

And nothing sounds real good either. Hubby has made suggestions and most of it makes my stomach turn. I just don't want to eat and when I do, I have to force myself to eat it as it doesn't taste good.

NEVER thought I'd being saying THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    HELP!!!!!

Lambi, I need you!!!!!
    And everyone else too!

Thanks
    myrosiedog: I'm SO glad that you got out of surgury and are on mend! And oddly enough, I brought into the city this weekend, my Dr. Atkins Quick & Easy New Diet Cookbook, to make some healthier stuff for Sally and me.

You MUST get this cookbook, for your recovery. I picked it up at Walmart for $12.60; it retails for $14.00. I don't know if you can drive or get out with your recovery time, but call Walmart first, see if they have it, and if not, get it from amazon.

Recipes include such wonderful sounding things such as:

Oven-Poached Salmon with Dill and Wine
    Sauted Cod with Lemon-Parsley Sauce
    Tarragon Shrimp Salad
    Ricotta and Leek Frittata
    Smoked Salmon Frittata
    Baked Eggs with Swiss Cheese and Cream
    Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and Pine Nuts
    Red Cabbage Salad with Feta and Dill
    Chicken with Coconut-Plum Sauce
    Chicken with Cucumber
    Creamed Chicken with Mushrooms
    Chicken Salad with Pesto...............etc, etc, etc.

From your dietary restrictions, it sounds like this cookbook nails it! Also, the ingredient list is VERY short AND cheap, so your husband isn't spending hours cooking, and the limited time that you can cook will allow you to make these dishes, too.

If any of the above (which is just the tip of the recipe's iceberg) sound good, let me know and I'll post them for you!

You are loved and I wish you a very, very speedy recovery! Eat your way back into GOOD health, dear.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread