Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD

Carl's Potato Salad

My friend that passed away recently used to make the best potato salad recipe in the world and I was thinking about it today and thought I'd post it.
    It makes a lot, so its best to make it for a party or potluck.

5 pounds of potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into chunks. Cut some really small because you want them to cook really well because they will "mash" up when you stir everything together and add to the "dressing".
    1 dozen eggs boiled, peeled and chopped
    3 green onions chopped with greens attached
    1 jar of Hellman's mayo (has to be Hellman's. Kraft isn't as good. Best Foods is equivilant to Hellman's)
    celery seed
    celery salt

combine mayo, onions, eggs and about a teaspoon of celery seed and salt. Add potatos and mix well. Taste. If not tasty enough, add more celery seed and celery salt.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I just bought a crepe pan and would like to make some to freeze; either for dessert or for a main meal. Does anyone have a good recipe? Is one normally sweeter than the other? I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.
    misskitty: I guess I'm an old pro at crepes; I was around during their Hey Days in the 1970's, when Crepe Makers and Crock Pots, with an occasional Wok, was given at every wedding reception.

I've made thousands of crepes in the past 36 years and still have my original two pans! One is an upside down one, and the other, you poured the batter inside, like a wee frying pan. I liked them equally and can't figure out which I like better, after all these decades.

I'm in the city right now, and my cookbooks are back in the country. My old stand-by, which has the BEST recipes....HANDS DOWN is oddly enough, by Consumer Reports, from the early 70's. When I go back home, I can post recipe after recipe for you and also do a check on ebay to see if someone's selling the book. I've gotten, as gifts, updated crepe books, but the recipes are far more complex, complicated AND expensive then the original book I got.

One thing you should know, though: the batter of ANY recipe must "sit" and rest for several hours, before you use it. It allows the flour the chance to be completely hydrated and smooth. You also pour the batter through a fine sieve, to remove air bubbles and particles.

I make big batches of crepes, use a couple and freeze the remaining ones. I use savoury recipes for main dishes and sweet ones for dessert. That Company's Coming Chicken Pot Pie recipe that I posted a ways back, I made last week with crepes and it turned out divine! I used a Rice-a Roni dish with it with green beans and almonds; with the crepes it looked way more exotic than it was.

Good luck on the crepe making; I have had a load of fun with it these past 3 decades!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks lambikins! I knew I could count on you before I made a mess and got frustrated trying. My pan is the small crepe type. Not the upside down kind. I couldn't find that one.

I never knew that batter had to REST.

I'll await your Grande Master recipes. And then, hopefully, wow my sweetie and family once I've gotten somewhat proficient. Thank you
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks lambikins! I knew I could count on you before I made a mess and got frustrated trying. My pan is the small crepe type. Not the upside down kind. I couldn't find that one.

I never knew that batter had to REST.

I'll await your Grande Master recipes. And then, hopefully, wow my sweetie and family once I've gotten somewhat proficient. Thank you
    I have the crepe book by my computer at home, that's how much I use it! I've tried buying the ready made crepes that Jewel is now selling; man, you could shoe a horse with them! They're HUGE, tough, and resemble giant tortillas, rather than crepes! Ugh....

Like anything that's out of the ordinary, from making a cake to hand-made lasagna, any of it can be seen as a "pain"...or a joy...if that's your particular spin. Because I'll make a months worth of crepes at a time, the pain of it is only once every 30 days. Sally likes to eat them with butter, sugar and a squeeze of lemon over them; it was a snack item she learned to love when she was living in Paris with her parents. Then, when we have left over sauces, I'll just pull out some frozen crepes, zap them, and we've got a nice, light dinner. Many times, I'll buy those South Beach frozen meals, that have no pasta or rice, thaw them, and stick them in a crepe. It adds substance and just makes the meal taste better.

To freeze them, misskitty: have waxed paper at the ready. I cut pieces to fit a Ziplock gallon-sized bag. When each crepe comes off of the pan, I place it on a dinner plate to cool and then put it between two squares of wax paper. You just keep layering them up until they all fit inside of the freezer bag. Then, when you want one, just pull out however many you need and Bingo-Bango...instant dinner!

You should make the chicken pot pie filling that I posted and then freeze it. It was lush, in the crepes!

And when I go back home, I'll post some sweet and savoury recipes for the crepes for you.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I went over to a friend's house this weekend and she made this amazing pasta recipe. I don't have the quantities, but it is not necessary.

Pasta with cherry tomatoes and feta
    DesertRose, I tried this tonight minus the evil mushrooms and loved it! I used fresh Romano cheese instead of Feta because that's what I had on hand. I think next time, I'll throw in a few veggies.

roseskid, I've made the zucchini bread twice now! It's a hit! Even my picky non-vegetable eating 4yo loves it. Today, I made her a special loaf in a small heart shaped cake pan.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    ... Bingo-Bango...instant dinner!...
    I love the sound of that! I wait with bated breath. Just thinking those crepes would taste might good with a hot fresh cup of Flavia coffee .
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I love the sound of that! I wait with bated breath. Just thinking those crepes would taste might good with a hot fresh cup of Flavia coffee .
    misskitty: I just PM'd you some crepe information. Lambi

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    This isn't a recipe question, but it does fall in the realm of "food" so I'll ask here.

My girlfriend bought me some groceries, which included some frozen dinners (Lean Cuisine) and gave her husband the bag'o'goods to drop off to me this morning on his way to work. Well, either he didn't realize there was frozen food in the bag or he forgot, but he *just* dropped it off - 10 hours later.

The packages are still cool to the touch, but I'm sure they've defrosted by now. My question is: Will I get sick if I eat them? I'm pretty sure frozen dinners like this have already been cooked, and you're basically just warming them up when you nuke them, but I'm not sure if I'll get food poisoning or what not if I eat them.

Anybody know?
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post
    This isn't a recipe question, but it does fall in the realm of "food" so I'll ask here.

My girlfriend bought me some groceries, which included some frozen dinners (Lean Cuisine) and gave her husband the bag'o'goods to drop off to me this morning on his way to work. Well, either he didn't realize there was frozen food in the bag or he forgot, but he *just* dropped it off - 10 hours later.

The packages are still cool to the touch, but I'm sure they've defrosted by now. My question is: Will I get sick if I eat them? I'm pretty sure frozen dinners like this have already been cooked, and you're basically just warming them up when you nuke them, but I'm not sure if I'll get food poisoning or what not if I eat them.

Anybody know?
    THROW THEM OUT IMMEDIATELY!!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

Yes, the food is "cooked" but cooked does NOT equal "sterilized". I spent Christmas Night in the ER for food poisoning and it took 3 weeks for my body to return to normal. I had had my cooked food in the back of my car, where it was very cool, but not cold. Two hours after eating it, my friend had to drive me to the hospital, I was too sick to drive myself.

The cost of the food isn't worth the risk to your health!

I'm with lambi on this one, Jewels! It's not worth the risk!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Closed Thread