Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

OMG, that pizza looks so good. I've got to get out of here before I blow the diet and call Pizza Hut.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Man that pizza picture looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    OMG, that pizza looks so good. I've got to get out of here before I blow the diet and call Pizza Hut.
    ..this subliminal message is brought to you by the Pizza Makers of America...SEE the pizza....SMELL the pizza...EAT THE PIZZA.....

Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Fort Member
    Whoops
    I had not checked here for a couple of days and Lambkins you are right my temps were way off
    I meant to type 400 and 350, I not sure where my head was
    Probably dreaming of baked potatoes

Quick question: I'm going to use my bread machine to make some multi-grain bread this weekend and would like to substitute honey for the sugar required in the recipe. Is this doable? And if so, what would the replacement quantity be? Thanks for any help.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Quick question: I'm going to use my bread machine to make some multi-grain bread this weekend and would like to substitute honey for the sugar required in the recipe. Is this doable? And if so, what would the replacement quantity be? Thanks for any help.
    Rattus: I'm sure others will reply, but here's my info. My friend, Claire, is Queen of the Bread machine, using it daily to make fresh bread for her 3 growing teenagers.

She did NOT have a Honey Conversion chart specific to bread or bread machines but she DID have this nice honey-whole wheat bread recipe that she faxed me. She makes this recipe every other day, so the girls don't get bored with the bread flavour. She's only used King Arthur Whole Wheat, not Multi-Grain, so she's not sure if it would turn out the same, but I'm guessing that it would.

HONEY-WHOLE WHEAT BREAD FOR BREAD MACHINE

Honey Wheat Bread

1 1/4 cups water
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 1/2 cups bread flour
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon yeast
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter

Place all ingredients in bread machine [follow directions for your machine regarding keeping yeast separate from water]. Works best if all ingredients are allowed to come to room temperature by setting timer for several hours longer than cooking time.

Now, THIS is what I found on a website: A honey conversion chart and a honey-cracked wheat recipe for bread machines. According to the chart, it doesn't matter what you're making, the conversions are the same. Neither Claire or I have done this recipe, but with your experience, I'm sure you can read through it and see if it sounds do-able.

Good luck! I'll PM you my address so you can send me a warm slice with jam!

http://www.pickenscountyscbeekeepers.com/recipes.html

Honey Substitution: You can substitute honey for equal
    amounts of sugar in most recipes. In baked goods, substitute
    honey for up to half of the sugar and make the following
    adjustments:
    * Reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup for
    each cup of honey used
    * Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey used
    * Reduce the oven temperature by 25'F

Note: Honey should not be fed to infants less than one
    year of age. Honey is a safe and wholesome food for
    older children and adults.

Cracked Wheat Bread - 2lb. loaf (this recipe
    works in bread makers too!)

1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
    1/4 cup honey (the darker the better)
    1 tablespoon dark molasses
    1 1/2 pkg dry yeast (or 3 1/2 teaspoons)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 cups bread flour
    1/2 cup cracked wheat (look in the natural food
    section of your store)
    2 tablespoon of whole flax seed (optional)

Now you can either follow the directions for loading
    your bread maker (use the whole wheat and medium
    brown settings for best results) or make it yourself.

1. Mix warm water, honey, molasses, and yeast
    together and let stand for 5 minutes.
    2. Stir in oil, salt, flour, cracked wheat, and flax
    seed and mix well.
    3. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead
    until smooth and satiny - about 10 minutes.
    4. Cover and let rise in warm place (on top of a
    heating pad on lowest setting works great) until
    double in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
    5. Punch down, fold and turn so smooth side is up
    and let rise again for about 45 minutes.
    6. Punch down and shape into loaf. Put in greased
    bread pan and let rise until doubled in bulk - 20-30
    minutes. Preheat your oven now to 350'F.
    7. Bake loaf 50 minutes, remove from oven and pan
    and cool on rack. Don't cut it for about 15 minutes.
    This makes one large loaf - 2 lb for a bread machine

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks, lambikins, that is great to know and I'm definitely going to give that Honey-Whole Wheat bread a whirl. And you are vastly superior to me in the looking-up-things-on-the-net department . If you're a regular baker of bread, I have a great hearty and wholesome Red River bread recipe that makes four loaves that freeze really well, if you want it. Unfortunately, until I get a new stove (the one I have now has a really unreliable temperature gauge) I have to use the bread machine. Still, fresh bread is fresh bread.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Thanks, lambikins, that is great to know and I'm definitely going to give that Honey-Whole Wheat bread a whirl. And you are vastly superior to me in the looking-up-things-on-the-net department . If you're a regular baker of bread, I have a great hearty and wholesome Red River bread recipe that makes four loaves that freeze really well, if you want it. Unfortunately, until I get a new stove (the one I have now has a really unreliable temperature gauge) I have to use the bread machine. Still, fresh bread is fresh bread.
    I would the recipe, Rattus, when you have the time to post it! I'm really curious: WHAT is Red River? I ask because the Red River Valley is a famous wheat producing region in Minnesota, where I grew up. Is the wheat used harvested from Red River, or the flour used called Red River, or something else? Just curious, that's all, especially for a Home Town recipe.

And you're right: Fresh bread is Fresh bread and I've never had anyone turn up their nose at freshly steaming bread-machine loaves!

Red River cereal is a whole grain (wheat, rye and flax) cereal that is of approximately a cream of wheat texture. It's not something I would generally have for breakfast, delicious and nutritious though it may be, because it takes far too long to deal with before I have to get to my cubicle.

Actually, though, I just realized that it may not be available at stores in the States as it originated in Western Canada, though I think you can buy it through Amazon (geez, they're amazing). If not, there should be a comparable whole grain cereal of the same sort available south of the border.

RED RIVER BREAD

2 tbsp yeast
    2/3 cup warm water
    2 tsp sugar
    1 cup Red River cereal (uncooked)
    3 cups boiling water
    1 tbsp salt
    3 tbsp maple syrup
    3 tbsp molasses
    6 tbsp butter
    2 cups scalded milk
    3 cups whole wheat flour
    8 cups bread flour

Add salt to boiling water, add cereal in a stream and cook till wooden spoon makes a track across it, stirring constantly .

Add butter, syrup, molasses and scalded milk to cereal, stir well, let stand till lukewarm.

Add yeast, then whole wheat flour, beat well. Add bread flour mixing until it comes away from sides of bowl.

Knead 10 minutes, let rise twice. Punch down and make into loaves, bake at 375 for 35 min.
    Last edited by Rattus; 03-09-2006 at 11:40 AM.

I love Red River cereal with rice krispies mixed in and brown sugar. Yum Yum.

Well I made my almond plum phyllo tarts. I changed a few things around in the ingredients and they tasted great. They just don't look great.

They were supposed to be made in a rectangle pan with removeable sides, which I didn't have. I thought I would be smart and make individual ones like little mini spanikopitas; filled with plums. That worked but a little slow and messy to do. If I do it that way again, I will mush up the plums rather than use pieces.

For the remainder, I put down the phyllo sheets as instructed on a cookie sheet and followed the recipe. It's kind burned around the edges. I don't think I would do it this way again. I dont' think the phyllo base works well. I would try to incorporate another kind of a shortbread type of base with the plums on the top of that. .

Back to the drawing board!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I bumped this recipe as requested by lildago in the gardening thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This cake is not terribly sweet, more like a bread. It is REALLY good (I never tell *new* people that it contains zucchini until AFTER they've eaten it ) I never sprinkle on the powered sugar either, because we like it just the way it is.

Zucchini Cake

3 c. flour
    2 c. sugar
    3 eggs
    1 c. oil
    1 tsp. baking soda
    ¼ tsp. baking power
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 c. shredded zucchini (do not pack)

Mix all with a spoon. Bake at 350 in Pam’d (or greased) bundt pan for 50 min. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, Remove from pan, and cool on rack. Once cooled, sprinkle with powered sugar is desired.

---------------------

ETA: Btw, it occurred to me to add: because I hate to use more utensils than necessary, I've always added the vanilla to the oil in the measuring cup. Lil Rose told me recently one of her favorite memories is helping me make this cake and watching the vanilla float lava-lamp-like in the oil.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Closed Thread