Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Thanks for the phyllo advice everyone. I didn't get a chance to make it yet. Spent the weekend with my Baba, and celebrated my aunt and uncles 75 birthdays. Then the Academy Awards blew another night. I did manage to make some cookies today. Burnt a pan though. . Will do the plums this week. They're still not too ripe.

Those potatoes sound yummy. Anything with bacon and sour cream is super in my book. Except for maybe, cereal.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Fort Member
    I cant believe it
    I have been America several times and have heard mention of twice baked potatoes on numerous occassions but I have never really seen them or known exactly what they were, just asumed that they were really crispy baked potatoes that you baked twice for some reason.
    Now thanks to you guys I discover that Twice Baked Potatoes are actually stuffed potatoes.
    Would never have guessed in a million years

I was going to just post my recipe for Baked Potatoes thinking it would help, I was so wrong
    LOL
    Posting it anyway because they are nice

Place big pot of water on stove and bring to boil
    Because a watched pot will not boil, occupy yourself by washing, peeling and cutting potatoes in quarters
    Turn oven on 200c (about 480f) place a baking dish in oven place potatoes into boiling water
    Take some garlic cloves and a couple of springs of rosemary (dip in the boiling water first), place in a morter and pestle (or a heavy based bowl and end of rolling pin) and pound the life out of them, take out all the days frustrations and pound those cloves to mush, excellent therapy, add some olive oil and stir to combine.
    Check potatoes, you want them to be soft but firm, if they are drain, let sit for 2 - 3 minutes to dry a little
    Now you can skip this and just microwave them but its harder to judge when they are ready and you have to wait for the oven to heat anyway.
    Take baking dish from oven, pour oil mix into baking dish, add potatoes, toss around until potatoes are lightly coated, sprinkle with salt. Place in oven for 15 minutes then lower oven temp to 180c (450f) for another 10 to 15 minutes or until brown and crispy
    With the oil mix, you dont want too much, they dont want to be swimming in the oil, you just want enough to lightly coat them.
    Dipping the rosemary in boiling water makes it stronger in smell and easier to pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    I cant believe it
    I have been America several times and have heard mention of twice baked potatoes on numerous occassions but I have never really seen them or known exactly what they were, just asumed that they were really crispy baked potatoes that you baked twice for some reason.
    Now thanks to you guys I discover that Twice Baked Potatoes are actually stuffed potatoes.
    Would never have guessed in a million years

I was going to just post my recipe for Baked Potatoes thinking it would help, I was so wrong
    LOL
    Posting it anyway because they are nice

Place big pot of water on stove and bring to boil
    Because a watched pot will not boil, occupy yourself by washing, peeling and cutting potatoes in quarters
    Turn oven on 200c (about 480f) place a baking dish in oven place potatoes into boiling water
    Take some garlic cloves and a couple of springs of rosemary (dip in the boiling water first), place in a morter and pestle (or a heavy based bowl and end of rolling pin) and pound the life out of them, take out all the days frustrations and pound those cloves to mush, excellent therapy, add some olive oil and stir to combine.
    Check potatoes, you want them to be soft but firm, if they are drain, let sit for 2 - 3 minutes to dry a little
    Now you can skip this and just microwave them but its harder to judge when they are ready and you have to wait for the oven to heat anyway.
    Take baking dish from oven, pour oil mix into baking dish, add potatoes, toss around until potatoes are lightly coated, sprinkle with salt. Place in oven for 15 minutes then lower oven temp to 180c (450f) for another 10 to 15 minutes or until brown and crispy
    With the oil mix, you dont want too much, they dont want to be swimming in the oil, you just want enough to lightly coat them.
    Dipping the rosemary in boiling water makes it stronger in smell and easier to pound.
    Lucynda: Wow! This sounds like a great recipe! Garlic! and Rosemary!...oh my!

Twice baked potatoes "used to be" luxury items, or at least they were when I was a kid growing up in the 60's. Expensive steak houses would have them and if your hostess (at a party) was particularly energetic, she might make them. But now, places like Jewel Foods and Whole Foods sell them every day, and also I've seen frozen ones for sale, too. I only bought the frozen ones once, though, as the potatoes were microscopic!

I highlighted the temps that you posted, because according to my gas mark conversion table, they're off by at least 50 degrees, and 480 degrees seemed awfully hot! But, now I don't know: you might really need the oven that hot.

Here's the conversion table-
    Oven Temperatures:
    Heat Fahrenheit Celsius Gas Mark

Very slow 250F 120C Gas Mark 1

Slow 300F 150C Gas Mark 2

Moderate slow 325F 160C Gas Mark 3

Moderate 350-375F 180-190C Gas Mark 4

Moderate hot 400-425F 200-210C Gas Mark 5

Hot 450-475F 220-230C Gas Mark 6

Very Hot 500-525F 240-250C Gas Mark 7

http://www.recipesmania.com/conversioncharts.html

Here's a picture of a nicely prepared twice baked:

Also, when googling the photos, I found a good looking recipe at Kraft:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/Sa...nPotatoes.html

Prep Time: 20 min
    Total Time: 2 hr 35 min
    Makes: 6 servings, 1 stuffed potato half each

3 large baking potatoes

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

2 Tbsp. margarine or butter

3 Tbsp. GREY POUPON Dijon Mustard

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided

1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

PREHEAT oven to 400F. Bake potatoes 1 hour 15 minutes or until tender. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out inside of each potato half, leaving thin shell. Place potato flesh in medium bowl; mash with electric mixer or hand masher until smooth. Set aside.

COOK and stir onion in margarine in small skillet until tender; stir in mustard. Add to potatoes along with 1/2 cup of the cheese and the pepper. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Pipe or spoon potato mixture into potato shells; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

BAKE an additional 20 minutes or until potato filling is heated through and cheese is melted.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks, Lambikins and Lildago for the recipes! I'll have to let y'all know how they turn out after this weekend!

Lucynda, your recipe sounds great, too! I especially like the "therapy" that's involved . . . I might just try it so that I can pound the dickens out of the garlic and rosemary!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Twice Baked Potatoes. I may need to make those this weekend.

Does anyone else have a problem when they spell potato(e)? I think of Dan Quayle every time I have to spell the word.

Anyone have a good recipe for pizza dough? Im making one this weekend, and want a good homemade recipe. Thanks!
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:OrQtbgzcQ1pbXM:a1 564.g.akamaitech.net
    Anyone have a good recipe for pizza dough? Im making one this weekend, and want a good homemade recipe. Thanks!
    angelic one: This is a recipe that I use constantly; it got 41 rave reviews from this site, which makes it in pretty good standing!

PIZZA DOUGH

Pizza Dough #43740
    recipe by podapo

Try it you'll like it... easily makes 2 crusts or one very thick large pizza. Great for calzones or breadsticks for dipping.
    8-12 servings
    1 hour 5 minutes 45 mins prep
    2 1/4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
    1 1/2 cups warm water
    3 1/2 cups flour

In large bowl, dissolve yeast and brown sugar in the water.
    Let sit for 10 minutes.
    Stir the salt, oil and italian seasoning into the yeast mixture.
    Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
    Turn dough out onto a clean, dry surface and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky.
    Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth.
    Let the dough double in size.
    Should take about 1/2 hour if in warm spot.
    Punch down and let rest a minute.
    Roll out, and prepare your favorite pizza.
    I use a pizza stone sprinkled with a bit of corn meal.
    Once I have the dough shaped I bake it plain for about 5-10 minutes, then pull out of oven and add toppings, just seems to work better every time.
    Bake in preheated oven 425 degrees until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 20 minutes.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/get...0&format=print

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks, lambikins! Will try the recipe. Sounds like a good mixture of ingredients.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Thanks, lambikins! Will try the recipe. Sounds like a good mixture of ingredients.
    Doesn't it though?! I really like the addition of the brown sugar; it just seems to make the tomato more tomato-y. I spent a good couple of hours looking for a pizza crust recipe that was consistently GOOD and this one has never disappointed me.

Hope that you find the same success that I have, Sweetie.

Man that pizza picture looks good. I wanted to make my plum tarts this afternoon but forgot to defrost the phyllo pastry. .
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Closed Thread