Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Thanks lambikins. That helps. I'm going to make up the recipe. Freeze 1/2 before it's baked. And then bake the other half. Then, if there's any left, I'll try and freeze a piece to see if it turns out ok afterwards. The only way to find out. If its good, I'll post it on the recipes page. OK? Yum-yum. Love black plums when they're in season!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I want to try a new recipe: Plum Almond Phyllo Tart. It's simple. BUT,,

Does anyone know if I can freeze phyllo pastry AFTER it's been cooked? Will it go all soggy when I defrost it later?

In the alternative, can I assemble the dessert with the pastry, and then freeze it again. So I can bake it later, as if it were fresh?

Couldn't find this information anywhere I looked.

My experience is that it does get soggy after freezing it and thawing out.

But you could make it, freeze it before baking. I've done that before and it worked out really well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
    This is a bit late to post for ideas but thought I'd give it a try. I'm having some friends over for brunch tomorrow and want to make some hash browns...not from a bag. Any good recipes or ideas for things to throw in with the taters? I've never made them from scratch before so any ideas would be appreciated!

I know this is too late, but....

I buy the already peeled and diced potatos in a can. Yes, can.
    I drain them really, really, really well.

I fry several slices of bacon in a skillet and then remove. I then saute some chopped onion and garlic in the bacon grease, add the canned potatos and stir until they are heated through.
    Drain them and serve with the crumbled bacon mixed in.

I'm sure you could add green pepper with the onion. But I don't like green pepper so I don't add it.

Brunch went well. I used the recipe that Mariner posted. I added in some red and yellow peppers. I diced up the potatoes because our grater is still in a moving box somewhere. The hash browns tasted great.

Lucy, that casserole recipe looks good. I think I may have to try that next time we have guests.

myrosiedog, Bacon. mmmmm my weekness. I didn't know that potatoes came in cans. Is this common? I'll have to check that out at the market.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I always get the best recipe ideas here at FORT!

misskitty, I too have made large batches spanikopita then frozen it BEFORE baking. They tasted great. I think freezing phyllo before baking is the key. Good Luck.

Cool! Glad that worked out applesauce. Now, I'll have to try it. Lucy's recipe with the breadcrumbs instead of cornflakes and extra cheese does sound really good. I'm definitely going to try that too.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Thanks lambikins. That helps. I'm going to make up the recipe. Freeze 1/2 before it's baked. And then bake the other half. Then, if there's any left, I'll try and freeze a piece to see if it turns out ok afterwards. The only way to find out. If its good, I'll post it on the recipes page. OK? Yum-yum. Love black plums when they're in season!
    I'm mad for anything made from plums, so I'd that recipe, once you've tested it out!

Because each layer of phyllo is buttered, the solidified butter (when chilled or frozen) seals the dough and protects it. It's great as a make ahead and freeze pastry. But, this is for stuff that I've not baked; just assembled and frozen, to be used later.

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    myrosiedog, Bacon. mmmmm my weekness. I didn't know that potatoes came in cans. Is this common? I'll have to check that out at the market.
    Who knew?! I've never in my life heard of "canned potatoes" either, applesauce! Weird, you take it for granted that certain things are canned and then it's weird when you find out that other things are also canned. I'm certainly going to have to look for them when I head to the grocery store tomorrow.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I'm mad for anything made from plums, so I'd that recipe, once you've tested it out!

Because each layer of phyllo is buttered, the solidified butter (when chilled or frozen) seals the dough and protects it. It's great as a make ahead and freeze pastry. But, this is for stuff that I've not baked; just assembled and frozen, to be used later.

Who knew?! I've never in my life heard of "canned potatoes" either, applesauce! Weird, you take it for granted that certain things are canned and then it's weird when you find out that other things are also canned. I'm certainly going to have to look for them when I head to the grocery store tomorrow.
    You guys crack me up. I LOVE canned potatos. My guilty pleasure. No one else in this house likes them. They come whole, sliced and diced. I often make hash browns or something similar with them. They are already cooked, so its just a matter of heating them through with enough bacon grease to disguise the "can" taste.

I keep a couple cans on the shelf, just in case. And they are great to use with leftover meat to make a "hash".

My favorite way is with the bacon tho. Like frosting lambi, bacon also adds flavor to just about EVERYTHING. Like Emeril says: It don't get any better than pork fat!

Hey all - I have a "potato" question . . .but not the canned variety!

A friend is bringing steaks over to cook out Saturday evening . . . he's buying THICK ones and marinating them in something that sounds incredible (of course I'll share the recipe when he gives it to me on Saturday if it's as good as he says it is!), and the only thing he wants us to provide (besides the grill) are twice-baked potatoes, which I have never made.

He is not looking for anything fancy or different, just good ol' fashioned twice-baked potatoes.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this? If so, I would SO very much appreciate it!

Thanks!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey View Post
    Hey all - I have a "potato" question . . .but not the canned variety!

A friend is bringing steaks over to cook out Saturday evening . . . he's buying THICK ones and marinating them in something that sounds incredible (of course I'll share the recipe when he gives it to me on Saturday if it's as good as he says it is!), and the only thing he wants us to provide (besides the grill) are twice-baked potatoes, which I have never made.

He is not looking for anything fancy or different, just good ol' fashioned twice-baked potatoes.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this? If so, I would SO very much appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Oh, how I love Twice-Baked Potatoes! I've been eating them and making them since I had my first one at a truck stop in Kansas City. This is an old dog-eared recipe that I've changed throughout the years:

TWICE BAKED POTATOES

4 large baking potatoes, NOT Yukon Gold ( use the brown skinned variety)

1-2 minced garlic cloves per potato, sauteed in butter, drained or not (your choice)

1/4 cup milk or half & half

2 tablespoons sour cream

1 1/2 cup shredded cheese: a mixture of cheddar, asiago, romano, blue, parmesan or whichever combination you like; or just one type, like cheddar.

4 slices bacon, crispy and crumbled

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Clean and scrub baking potatoes. Poke the skin with a fork once or twice for steam to escape.

3) Bake potoatoes at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Check by sticking steak knife into them; if easily penetrated, they are done.

4) Remove potatoes from oven, let cool enough to touch.

5) Cut baked potatoes in half , lengthwise, and scoop out the baked insides, within 1/4 inch of edge, and place in a wide, deep bowl.

6) Mash potato meal with garlic, sour cream, milk, 3/4's cup of the cheese mixture and butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make sure mixture is mashed enough to easily be piped or spooned back into potatoes.

7) Either carefully spoon potato mixture back into hollowed out shells or use a Ziplock bag, with corner removed, to pipe the potato mixture back into shells.

8) Sprinkle tops of potatoes with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese and bacon bits. (you can also sprinkle paprika on top, for looks)

9) Place potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes or until cheese is melted, potato filling is hot, and they are beginning to brown, on top.

10) Serve with additional cups of crispy bacon, chives, cheeses, and green onion pieces to add to finished potatoes.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

chrelsey, I'm not sure where I got this recipe but it's one of my hubby's favorites. We're not crazy about green onions so I leave them out. He doesn't like sour cream but I do. Luckily, he doesn't even know it's in there!

4 large baking potatoes
    8 slices bacon
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup milk
    4 tablespoons butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    8 sliced green onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Bake potatoes for 1 hour.
    Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
    When potatoes are done allow them to cool. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; save skins. To the potato flesh add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 the green onions. Mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Top with remaining cheese, remaining green onions and the bacon.
    Bake for another 15 minutes.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Closed Thread