Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Request: Does anyone have a recipe for no-cook noodle lasagna? Thanks!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

You should really dip no boil lasagna noodles in hot water for 2 minutes otherwise it stays kind of chewy after the recommended 30 minute bake time. My only other tip for this dish is NO COTTAGE CHEESE!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I don't know if they sell Delverde pasta in the States, but they make excellent no-cook lasagna sheets. They come in their own aluminum pan and you just do your regular lasagna recipe, but substitute the cook-noodles with no-cook ones. If you make sure your sauce is liquid enough, it'll be perfect. It always turns out great at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Lildago

How was the Mardi Gras party and what did you end up serving???

Enquiring minds want to know
    Sorry, I should have updated all of you sooner but I'm still recovering from the party!

As they say in New Orleans, we passed a good time! I made shrimp jambalaya and red beans and rice w/andouille sausage. With that, I put out meat pies(that I ordered), cheese and deli meat trays and veggie/fruit trays w/dips. I got off easy with desserts since I bought the King Cake and pralines. I put out the cakes, strawberries, and whipped cream and everyone made their own strawberry shortcake.

My husband played bartender and served Hurricane Punch that I'd mixed up beforehand.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Sorry, I should have updated all of you sooner but I'm still recovering from the party!

As they say in New Orleans, we passed a good time! I made shrimp jambalaya and red beans and rice w/andouille sausage. With that, I put out meat pies(that I ordered), cheese and deli meat trays and veggie/fruit trays w/dips. I got off easy with desserts since I bought the King Cake and pralines. I put out the cakes, strawberries, and whipped cream and everyone made their own strawberry shortcake.

My husband played bartender and served Hurricane Punch that I'd mixed up beforehand.
    Sounds like a good time, Chere. Now am off to sing Jambalaya and a crawfish pie, me oh my oh....
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

This is a bit late to post for ideas but thought I'd give it a try. I'm having some friends over for brunch tomorrow and want to make some hash browns...not from a bag. Any good recipes or ideas for things to throw in with the taters? I've never made them from scratch before so any ideas would be appreciated!

applesauce,

I looked at my grandmother's brunch recipe collection and there were no hash browns. I just googled this sucker up, but it looks pretty good. The only other thing I might consider adding is some finely diced red, green, and/or yellow peppers to give 'em a little color.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/has...r/bl50809f.htm

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups cold cooked potatoes, chopped
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    3 tablespoons butter
    PREPARATION:

Combine the potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, and milk. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Do not let burn. When butter is hot, add potato mixture. Press down firmly. Reduce heat and fry slowly until bottom is golden brown.
    Do not stir. Turn carefully or put under broiler to brown the other side.
    Serves 4.
    ETA: My instinct would be to grate the potatoes not chop them or if you chop them it's got to be really finely.
    Last edited by Mariner; 03-04-2006 at 11:37 PM.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Applesauce, I make hashbrown casserole sometimes. I DO get the hashbrowns from a bag -- who wants to shred all those potatoes?
    Mine is essentially like this:

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE

2 lbs. frozen hashbrowns, thawed
    1 stick melted butter
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 (8 oz.) sour cream
    10 oz. grated sharp cheese
    2 c. crushed corn flakes

Mix all ingredients (except butter and crushed corn flakes) in a greased casserole dish (9x13 size). Mix 2 cups crushed corn flakes with melted butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1650,...249197,00.html

Except I put in more onions, as well as some green peppers, I use a different soup (cream of celery, I think; I just don't like mushrooms) and instead of corn flakes, I use bread crumbs. I also don't think I use quite two pounds of hashbrowns, but probably did use more cheese. It's a pretty versatile dish, you can change it up quite a bit and still have it come out yummy.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I want to try a new recipe: Plum Almond Phyllo Tart. It's simple. BUT,,

Does anyone know if I can freeze phyllo pastry AFTER it's been cooked? Will it go all soggy when I defrost it later?

In the alternative, can I assemble the dessert with the pastry, and then freeze it again. So I can bake it later, as if it were fresh?

Couldn't find this information anywhere I looked.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I want to try a new recipe: Plum Almond Phyllo Tart. It's simple. BUT,,

Does anyone know if I can freeze phyllo pastry AFTER it's been cooked? Will it go all soggy when I defrost it later?

In the alternative, can I assemble the dessert with the pastry, and then freeze it again. So I can bake it later, as if it were fresh?

Couldn't find this information anywhere I looked.
    Hey, misskitty: I've never frozen phyllo dough after making a dish with it, but, I've made spanakopita, frozen it, and then baked it in the oven with GREAT success.

But, phyllo dough is as airy as croissants, and I've frozen baked ones, toastedt them up, and not noticed a difference.

I don't know if any of this helps.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread