Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    This evening, in a fit of misplaced domesticity, I decided I'd bake a cake for the first time in my life. Yes, I'm 31. No, I've never done it before. Yes, it all went horribly awry. No, I won't be doing it again anytime soon. Did I take a picture to commemorate the event? You're damn right I did!

Mmm, burnt vaguely turtle-shaped cake.

If you think I'm not frosting and eating it, though, you're sorely mistaken.
    I would definitely eat it. Just cut off the spilled over part and throw some frosting on it and it will look great. Throw some frosting on the part you cut off too. It's all good.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I would definitely eat it. Just cut off the spilled over part and throw some frosting on it and it will look great. Throw some frosting on the part you cut off too. It's all good.
    Frosting covers a multitude of sins. I'm a firm believer in frosting. Just frost it and no one knows any different.

I know Lambi will have something to say about my frosting addiction.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Frosting covers a multitude of sins. I'm a firm believer in frosting. Just frost it and no one knows any different.

I know Lambi will have something to say about my frosting addiction.
    myrosiedog: When you live with a person who eats marshmallows out of a bag like potato chips and thinks SUGAR is part of the U.S.D.A.'s Food Pyramid, you learn to say "nothing."
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    myrosiedog: When you live with a person who eats marshmallows out of a bag like potato chips and thinks SUGAR is part of the U.S.D.A.'s Food Pyramid, you learn to say "nothing."

You live with my daughter????

The best marshmallows I like to eat out of the bag, like chips, are the miniature multi-colored fruity flavored ones! Better than chips. And the kitties like them too!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Sorry to double-post. I thought some of you might like the recipe Rachel Ray did today on Oprah. Sounds yummo! I'm gonna try it out! Maybe I'll catch me a MAN! Well, MY man, anyway

"You Won't Be Single for Long" Vodka Cream Pasta
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
    Serves 4
    It's Rachael Ray's most romantic dish!

INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan in a slow stream
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 shallots, minced
    1 cup vodka
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
    Coarse salt and pepper
    16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
    Serve with:
    Crusty bread, for passing

Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic and shallots. Gently sauté shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan (3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup). Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.

While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it).

While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.

Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.

Serve with a nice glass of wine.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    I will be them in class how to do chicken in foil, (to eat as a dish on it's own with whatever veggies or salad)... [snip]
    ...not to steal your thunder, giz, but when we read about chicken in foil, doxie and I were reminded of a recipe passed along by doxie's great-aunt, who hand-wrote her favorite recipes, bound them and sent the book to us as a Christmas gift.

It was one of our favorite Christmas gifts, and we've done the chicken in foil recipe at least once a week since then. It's become one of my favorites! Easy and tasty.

CHICKEN IN FOIL

2 6 oz. chicken breasts
    1/2 cup onion (sliced)
    1/2 tomato (sliced)
    1 medium potato (sliced)
    1 small carrot (sliced)
    1 stalk celery (sliced)
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. tarragon
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. salt

Cut 2 pieces of heavy aluminum foil.

Place a chicken breast in center of each. Top with remaining ingredients. Add seasonings.

Wrap well. Place onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

(NOTES: We often leave out the tomato and double the lemon juice.)

...tapenade (basically you just cut olives up really fine and cook them briefly with anchovies, capers and garlice - it's not difficult).
    (P.S. doxie is too shy to ask, giz, but she'd like your tapenade recipe. Would it be forward of me to ask for it? )
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Sorry to double-post. I thought some of you might like the recipe Rachel Ray did today on Oprah. Sounds yummo! I'm gonna try it out! Maybe I'll catch me a MAN! Well, MY man, anyway

"You Won't Be Single for Long" Vodka Cream Pasta
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
    Serves 4
    It's Rachael Ray's most romantic dish!

INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan in a slow stream
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 shallots, minced
    1 cup vodka
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
    Coarse salt and pepper
    16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
    Serve with:
    Crusty bread, for passing

Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic and shallots. Gently sauté shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan (3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup). Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.

While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it).

While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.

Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.

Serve with a nice glass of wine.
    I LOVE the jar stuff I buy in the store. This has to be even better. Yum, thanks for posting.

MRD
    Lildago

How was the Mardi Gras party and what did you end up serving???

Enquiring minds want to know

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post

Thanks for posting this, misskitty!!! I never watch Oprah but somehow didn't have the energy to turn the channel yesterday and went WOW!, when I saw Rachel preparing this and Oprah's reaction! I've done online searches for a recipe like this ever since we were talking about 'store bought' vodka sauces, so I'm so glad that YOU posted it. Being new to Oprah, I didn't know if they post recipes on her web site but again, didn't have the energy to slog through her site, looking for it.

And I hope that it's as good at catching and keeping a (wo)-MAN as a XY man!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread