Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD
    [QUOTE=lambikins;1787608]

It's the cheese and sour cream that make this so out-of-the-ordinary...and the doesn't hurt, either!

[QUOTE]

Well, yeah, cover a rock in cheese, sour cream and bacon and I could eat it.

HOWEVER, I LOVE brussel sprouts and broccali.

Can't wait to try the brussel sprouts recipe.
    I tend to steam mine and serve with butter.
    But these sound good too so I will definetly try them out.

I didn't know about the x either. Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

Well, yeah, cover a rock in cheese, sour cream and bacon and I could eat it.
    myrosiedog: Aren't you also known as "Frosting Grrrl"?! There must be a deficit of rocks in your garden, all lovingly covered with frosting, cheese, sour cream and bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I didn't know about the x either. Thanks
    No problem! That's what's so nice about this thread; we learn so much through what we share. Many recipes ask you to "trim the stem", but with every brussels that I've purchased lately, there's been NO stem! So, if you cut the bottom, you'll end up cutting too much off and all the wee leaves will come tumbling apart.

Snowflake Girl:You continually surprise and delight me! From your earlier "I don't know how to bake. ", from years ago, to what I see you create and post NOW....I'm just SO proud of you! I feel like I'm reading a Food Blog when I read your recipes, with colourful photos and descriptions of the process. Those Cranberry Kisses look and "smell" delightful; I only wish I had eggs on hand so I could make them today. And I loved your description of Amanda's "Murtle" cake; great use of manatee and turtle!

I give you a and 4 's for what you've been creating! You continually "up" the ante and it's so much fun to read what you're making in your kitchen, each time you post.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

For DesertRose ...

TACO CASSEROLE
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 envelope taco seasoning
    1/4 bag tortilla chips broken into small pieces
    shredded cheese
    shredded lettuce
    diced tomatoes
    sliced black olives
    salsa
    sour cream

Heat oven to 350.
    Brown beef in skillet, drain, and then stir in taco seasoning according to package directions. Put meat mixture into a baking pan and mix in the tortilla chips. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until hot and cheese is melted.
    Remove from the oven and top with remaining ingredients.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Thanks Lildago, it sounds yummy. Can't wait to try it.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    myrosiedog: Aren't you also known as "Frosting Grrrl"?! There must be a deficit of rocks in your garden, all lovingly covered with frosting, cheese, sour cream and bacon!

Yep that's me. When in doubt: Frost!

Or, Icing always goes with EVERYTHING!

Well I am being nice on the fort and saying rocks, but in my home, I substitute something else.

Chocolate frosting, cheese, sour cream and bacon. What doesn't taste good without having one or a combo of any on it?

I don't eat eggplant, but cover it in cheese, sour cream and bacon and I probably would!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Bear with me as I have to plug my wonderful city: Gourmet Magazine has a special March issue all about the culinary and ethnic joys of Montreal. I strongly suggest it. I guarantee you'll want to come visit us if you read it.

Sounds lovely, DesertRose! I've never been to Montreal, but would like to go some time. Plus, I love to visit great culinary destinations. For example, we're going to go to San Francisco later this year, and we're already setting aside a "food fund" for the restaurants we want to visit.

Thanks for the compliments, Lambi. I'm still nowhere near your level--like that meal you make that takes a full week to prepare would probably take me 3 months!!! I can't even make Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals in 30 minutes!

But I owe the progress I've made to everybody here in the Recipes thread! Thank you all! The knowledge I've culled from here has been invaluable. I'm even (gasp--are you sitting down?) starting to improvise or tweak and adapt recipes. And nothing I've made has poisoned anyone yet! (At least not until I make that Blowfish Casserole.)
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

DesertRose I've been wanting to get to Montreal for a very long time, not only for the food, wine and culture, but for your annual ComedyFest! I love Just For Laughs and recently saw it live here before Xmas. I'll look for the magazine!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Question about Flour

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Amanda: ....I didn't bake my first cake until last year, at age 52. Over 40 cakes later, I over-came my Fear & Loathing of baking cakes and....
    Hi, I'm confessing here. At my age, I want to start baking more things from scratch, but I can't remember what the guidelines are about sifting the flour, and what the best kind of flour is to use for cakes and cookies.

Do you sift the flour first and then measure it, or do you measure it first and then sift it with the other dry ingredients? I made some Christmas cookies and they turned out way too flour-y, if that's a word?

Also, what kind of flour does one use for cakes and cookies? I was in the flour aisle and was totally lost looking at the various kinds. Who knew there were so many? There is all-purpose, bleached, unbleached, enriched (is there un-enriched?), pre-sifted, cake, bread, etc., etc...

Thanks in advance!

Amanda, thanks for posting the picture of your cake, I love it! I would eat it with frosting, and/or with ice cream. Who am I kidding, I would eat it plain, just as, too!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Bucky, sift THEN measure, or your cake will come out too heavy. If you're making a cake that calls for cake flour, use it--it usually comes in boxes, and one brand is SoftAsSilk. There's another one that's good--something Swan, maybe--but I'm drawing a blank. If you go back to old Betty Crocker cookbooks, they recommend cake flour. The newer ones say you can use all-purpose flour, but the measurements are different. Make sure you follow what the recipe says. If you're unsure, and want an easy way out, just use a mix and get one of the several Cake Doctor cookbooks. You can make the cakes taste homemade, and jazz them up a bit, without worrying that it's going to come out like lead.

All-purpose flour is good for cookies, in my experience. I use unbleached, as I don't like the idea of ozone bleaching flour. Don't use bread flour for cookies--only bread recipes that call for bread flour. Of course, I say that, and there's likely some freaky cookie recipe out there that calls for bread flour. It'll say if it needs bread flour, though.

I'm sure others can add to this discussion, but that's what I've experienced in my baking.

Closed Thread