Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I love broccoli and brussel sprouts too!

Are the brussels you use fresh? Sorry to ask a dumb question like that but I'm usually a frozen veggie person for things like broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels. I buy canned a lot too for corn, green beans, and peas. I guess I really need to learn some fresh veggie recipes.

Oh, and how long do you cook them for and what temp? I like my cooked
    veggies more soft than crisp.
    Snowflake Girl & ArchieComic Fan: I can't believe that there's two other broccoli and brussels sprout fans here!

Here's the BEST recipe that I've ever eaten in my life, for brussels sprouts. For Thanksgiving this year, when I was putting together the menu, I desperately wanted brussels as one of the veggies and found out that one of our friends also like them; that's ALL the encouragement that I needed to find a recipe beyond "boil and coat with butter", which is the only way I've ever had them.

If I were locked in a kitchen for a 1000 years, I could not have created the following recipe. This person is a genius and got rave reviews for her creation; I couldn't agree more. Plus, the title, a riff on Kevin Costner's Field of Dreams movie, is down right cute, too.

Note: the recipe "claims" that it serves 8. Ha. Ha. Ha. ONLY if the 8 people hate brussels sprouts and two are served per plate. I initially made the recipe as called for, and it served two of us, with seconds. So, for Christmas, I doubled the recipe and then it did serve more, but I ate them as leftovers, daily. I've since made this several times more.

And "Yes", Archie, for this recipe you use FRESH brussels. My Jewel sells them, at Christmas, on a stalk, so you know their Uber fresh, but the rest of the year, they're just Free Range Brussels and are in a bin, like other veggies.

Last note: I despise soggy bacon! So, I reserved the bacon bits until it was time to serve this dish, and added them at the very end. I provided a link to the original recipe, which has you adding the bacon all at once. But I find that doing this sogs up the bacon, so why make it crispy to begin with? But, if you make this, do whatever sequence of steps makes sense to you.

THEY WILL EAT THEM: BACON-PARMESAN BRUSSELS SPROUTS

recipe by ~Leslie~

I love Brussels Sprouts, and these are a really nice change of pace with a great flavour. Try them...you'll like them!
    8 servings
    25 minutes 10 mins prep
    25-30 fresh Brussels sprouts
    8 slices of crisp cooked crumbled bacon
    5 tablespoons sour cream
    5 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 clove freshed minced garlic
    fresh ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese (extra)

1)Cut ends off Brussels Sprouts and remove yellow or spotted leaves.
    Score an"X" on the bottom of each sprout to allow the bitterness to escape.

2)Steam Cook or boil sprouts until tender crisp.

3)Heat the next 4 ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot. (Reserve bacon to be added later, to retain crispness)

4)Combine all in casserole dish, including the bacon, and toss to coat.

5)Grate fresh ground black pepper over top, and sprinkle with extra cheese and serve.

http://www.recipezaar.com/102677
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Snowflake Girl & ArchieComic Fan: I can't believe that there's two other broccoli and brussels sprout fans here!

http://www.recipezaar.com/102677

Count me as a broccoli and brussels sprout fan as well! That recipe sounds awesome! I'm definitely trying that one!

Sounds good to me too - I'm printing it out right now!

FORT Fan
    I love broccoli and brussel sprouts too!
    My 8 year old daughter will eat broccoli- frozen, right out of the bag. Maybe I should buy a frozen bag of brussel sprouts for her.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    they're just Free Range Brussels and are in a bin, like other veggies.
    You crack me up...
    The only way I'd eat brussel sprouts was covered in gravy, but I'm certainly game to try them THIS way! Sounds yummo! I love broccoli too
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    You crack me up...
    The only way I'd eat brussel sprouts was covered in gravy, but I'm certainly game to try them THIS way! Sounds yummo! I love broccoli too
    "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

Well, misskittykat, I sure do get plenty of laughter off of your posts, too!

When I initially served that brussels recipe, my friend, Katie, just looked at me and we both had the same thought, "HOW do I hide these so that I'm the only one that gets to eat them all!?" It was the first dish for Thanksgiving that was gone, leaving an empty bowl.

Note about Brussels sprouts: by cutting the X in the bottom of the lil' suckers, it helps them to cook more thoroughly AND helps reduce the "bitterness" (which is a sometimes complaint among peeps who don't like brussels.) I used a big 12" Texas skillet, filled it with 2" of water and boiled them in there; for some reason, it seemed that they cooked waaay faster than in a deep kettle.

It's the cheese and sour cream that make this so out-of-the-ordinary...and the doesn't hurt, either!

I'd love to hear feedback on this to compare thoughts and notes, especially among the Brussels Sprout-Challenged!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    The other day I got a container of roasted brussels sprouts with pecans at Whole Foods. It was yummy.

Wow, I'm so jazzed to see so many fellow Brussels lovers. Those poor little crucifers are much maligned, it's rather nice to see we're not the only ones who love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Well, what do you know? I love Brussels Sprouts, too. Mr. Rose and Lil Rose, not so much, but maybe they'll like them cooked the Special Snowy Method, so I'm going to give it a try this weekend.
    Roses, good news for Mr. Rose & Pretty Lil Rose--the "Special Snowy Method" for brussels sprouts was something I actually got from a Cooking Light recipe for broccoli! So you could just do the same thing, swapping broc for the brussels.

If you like garlic, slice up several cloves because the crispy little chips are almost as good as the brussels themselves. We love garlic so I usually triple the amount in any given recipe anyway.
    Are the brussels you use fresh? Sorry to ask a dumb question like that but I'm usually a frozen veggie person for things like broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels. I buy canned a lot too for corn, green beans, and peas. I guess I really need to learn some fresh veggie recipes.

Oh, and how long do you cook them for and what temp? I like my cooked veggies more soft than crisp.
    ArchieComic Fan, the brussels I use are fresh. I think the original recipe has them roasting for 15 minutes in a 425 degree oven (with a toss about halfway through) although I usually throw them in with whatever else is baking at different temperatures for different times and they still magically come out fine. Experiment with the time though if you like them softer.

If you like using frozen veggies, I saw in the Rachael Ray 365 book a couple of yummy ways to cook brussels--one was sauteed with cranberries. I could look it up if you're interested. I myself haven't tried them yet because the fresh ones have looked so good in the market. I don't know if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if I could use the same method to cook the fresh brussels as the frozen? Or would it take longer or not come out the same? I have no idea. I didn't even know I had to cut an X at the bottom (I do now, though, thanks to Lambi).
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

This recipe's for Miss Kitty. I made these meringue cookies intending to give to a friend tomorrow and--they're disappearing fast, I have to make sure there will be some left to give!

It was my first time making them, and I wish I had piped them out with a pastry bag or something, because dropping them by spoon made them come out in all different, crazy sizes and shapes. I mean, they looked like the pale cookie cousins of Amanda's Murtle cake.

But they taste fabulous, and can you believe it's a Weight Watcher's recipe? Next time, I'm thinking of making these with a mocha flavor (Mr. SnowMan suggested with an espresso bean on top--cute idea, eh?).

Cranberry Cookie Kisses

Servings | 20
    Preparation Time | 10 min
    Cooking Time | 120 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

These bite-size sweet morsels are sure to please all of your guests.

Ingredients:
    3 large egg white(s), at room temperature
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup canned cranberry sauce, whole berry
    1/3 cup dried cranberries, about 80 cranberries

Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Coat 2 large sheet pans with cooking spray or cover with parchment paper.

2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in sugar until mixture is very stiff and shiny. Gradually fold in cranberry sauce (you can add a few drops of red food colouring at this point, if desired) while beating for 1 minute.

3. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto prepared sheet pans; press 1 dried cranberry into the top of each cookie.

4. Bake for 2 hours. Cool completely before removing from pans. Store in airtight containers. Yields about 4 cookies per serving.

From: http://holidays.sympatico.msn.ca/Rec...kie+Kisses.htm
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Thank You SnowflakeGirl! They look and smell marvelous!
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-20-2006 at 04:13 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Closed Thread