Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Now that's a cake I want to try. Maybe some frosting will help cover up the mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    The burnt edges taste best, Amanda.
    I agree, AJane. They kind of get crispy and carmelized there. It's like getting a bonus cookie.

Anyway, Amanda, I like the shape of it. To me it looks more like a manatee. And me some manatees! What flavor did you make?

ETA: Roses, I just saw your Macaroni and Cheese recipe (or as I like to call it, Mac 'n' Chee ). It sounds tasty and I have everything on hand for it--think I'll make it tonight! I'm in the mood for comfort food over here, with the chilly weather. BTW, you are not the only family that loves broccoli. It's a Snowflake favorite too! You know what's weirder though? We love Brussels Sprouts! I found a great way to roast them in the oven--just toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest and thinly sliced garlic cloves. Really tasty, and goes along with homey comfort foods too (we just had it with meatloaf). Bonus: the garlic roasts up into crispy yummy little chips!
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 02-18-2006 at 09:12 PM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    This evening, in a fit of misplaced domesticity, I decided I'd bake a cake for the first time in my life. Yes, I'm 31. No, I've never done it before. Yes, it all went horribly awry. No, I won't be doing it again anytime soon. Did I take a picture to commemorate the event? You're damn right I did!

Mmm, burnt vaguely turtle-shaped cake.

If you think I'm not frosting and eating it, though, you're sorely mistaken.
    Amanda: I not only applaud your bravery in posting the photo of the christened "Manatee-Turtle" cake, but also for you seeing the humour in the entire episode.

Things that could possibly have gone wrong:

1) You used a thin, disposable cake pan. A hard-bodied cake pan would have held it's shape and retained the heat better. The disposable aluminum ones are tissue paper thin and do no more than hold the batter in place.

2) Too much batter. For that size pan, no more than 1/2 of the volume should have been filled. By filling it close to the top, there was no room for the batter to expand. Rather, it had a Mt. St. Helen's effect: cracked dome, molten filling spilling over, cascade effect.

3) Using a baking sheet under the cake pan. This slowed down the baking process, allowing the cake to rise too fast before setting. Cake pans need to be placed directly onto the middle rack in an oven, allowing the heat to circulate around the entire pan. (at least I think you used a pan, from the mark on the surface.)

That's pretty much the main reasons for the free-form cake that came out of the oven.

But, as you said, a little bit of frosting---especially chocolate---goes a long way to make accidents into successes!

You brought a big smile to my funny bone, tonight. I didn't bake my first cake until last year, at age 52. Over 40 cakes later, I over-came my Fear & Loathing of baking cakes and I have supreme confidence that YOU, too, can enter a Bake-Off contest (in the future) and win!

But your tummy's the winner, tonight! Bon Appetite!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Amanda! I'm sure it was great with frosting!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I actually prefer cakes without frosting!!! Or you could slap a little cool whip on a slice along with some peaches or strawberries and it will be quite yummy!

I loved the cake and the pic of it!!! for you trying to make a cake...I do an ok job of a one layer cake but really suck when I try to make a 2 layer cake!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Amanda that's just hilarious. I'm with whomever said it's just as good without the frosting. It looks like you just put a wee too much batter in the pan.

I've been baking cakes since I was 7 or 8 years old. I grew up on a farm and I have 5 siblings, and our grandmother lived with us too, so I come from a large family. We bought groceries once a month and nothing pre-processed, so I was in charge of baking. I've said all that to say baking is not cut and dried. I still have trouble with cakes sometimes. It depends on the temperature, humidity, and whether my husband clomps across the floor in his heavy boots.

My advice is to buy a cake from the bakery if you want something sweet. It's a hell of a lot less trouble, and you don't feel so bad about throwing half of it away when it gets stale.
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

Amanda, I knew I loved you, but your fabulous humor about your first cake makes me love you even more. I agree with Dinah that you probably just had a little too much batter in the pan, and I'm sure it tasted great anyway.

I hated cooking growing up, and would make deals with my mom to do everything BUT cook when I lived at home. Because of that I had never made a cake until I was in my own apartment. I was making a cake for a party, and my b/f at the time insisted that cakes from scratch were infinitely better than box mixes. I was nervous about making it myself, so I made a box mix, threw the evidence away and presented my homemade marvel later that night. After tasting my creation, he pronounced with great flair, "now that's a terrific homemade cake! A box mix would never be this delicious!" My g/f and I got a big kick out of it. He's also the same tool who once asked me to iron his permanent press pants because he didn't have time. I reminded him they're permanent press and don't need ironing, but he wouldn't let up. I got the ironing board out, plugged the iron in, but never turned it on and proceeded to iron them, then handed them off to him. He put them on declaring that now they looked great. I couldn't believe he didn't even notice they were stone cold. The following week I dumped him...with great flair, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    We love Brussels Sprouts! I found a great way to roast them in the oven--just toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest and thinly sliced garlic cloves. Really tasty, and goes along with homey comfort foods too (we just had it with meatloaf). Bonus: the garlic roasts up into crispy yummy little chips!
    Well, what do you know? I love Brussels Sprouts, too. Mr. Rose and Lil Rose, not so much, but maybe they'll like them cooked the Special Snowy Method, so I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Thanks for the tip. I hope you like the Mac 'N Cheese.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post

Mmm, burnt vaguely turtle-shaped cake.
    l
    Oh my god! See, I would have declared that I did it that way on purpose, frosted it up, and served it. Thanks for sharing that, Amanda. That's hilarious.

Roses, that mac and cheese sound SO yummy. My daughter and I are big mac&cheese fans. We'll be trying it tomorrow, I know that for sure. And if I'd have had your ex-boyfriend, he'd have been lucky not to have been wearing that cake. In fact, I'd probably have made one of Amanda's Manatee/Turtle cakes (would that be a Murtle cake?) just for the pleasure of dumping it on his head. I love the way you handled it, though.

I FINALLY got a chance to make Ajanes banana muffins. They were delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe. Little star loved helping out with them.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Aw hell Amanda, mistakes are part of learning! And that cake looks plenty edible to me. At least you didn't start a fire or hurt yourself in the process.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    We love Brussels Sprouts! I found a great way to roast them in the oven--just toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest and thinly sliced garlic cloves. Really tasty, and goes along with homey comfort foods too (we just had it with meatloaf). Bonus: the garlic roasts up into crispy yummy little chips!
    I love broccoli and brussel sprouts too!

Are the brussels you use fresh? Sorry to ask a dumb question like that but I'm usually a frozen veggie person for things like broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels. I buy canned a lot too for corn, green beans, and peas. I guess I really need to learn some fresh veggie recipes.

Oh, and how long do you cook them for and what temp? I like my cooked veggies more soft than crisp.

Closed Thread