Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Hey, lildago!

Paper 'brolly's in a Hurricane....sounds good to me!

Seriously, regarding additional desserts, although I've never had a King "Cake", it seems that the cake is more of a sweet bread, wouldn't you agree? That said, any other desserts should be less "bread-y", especially since so many other starches like beans and rice are also being served.

How about a Sweet Potato Pie with Rum-Flavoured Whipped Cream?

Or, Bananas Foster, in pre-made crepes, and served, warm from the oven with a Banana-flavoured whipped cream or creme fraiche with sprinkles of brown sugar on it. Or, if you wanted to pour brandy on them, you could serve them flambeed.

One last thing: WHY do they have a baby baked into a King Cake???? I can't find an answer to this, on line.

Oh I'd go with the Bananas Foster! Sounds yummy!

I heard that about hosting the next party, but you are also supposed to have good luck throughout the year as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I don't know why it's a baby. Maybe someone else knows why. PhoneGrrrl? I do know that whoever finds it is supposed to host the next Mardi Gras party.

Isn't the baby suppose to be the Baby Jesus? And who ever finds it is suppose to have good luck for the rest of the year?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I don't know why it's a baby. Maybe someone else knows why. PhoneGrrrl? I do know that whoever finds it is supposed to host the next Mardi Gras party.
    Check out this link: http://www.nola.com/mardigras/food/?kingcake.html

And this one: http://mardigrasstore.com/histories/kc_history.html

Yes, lambikins, the king cake is pretty much a bready pastry. But, if you're REALLY lucky and go to a good party, you'll also have a Zulu king cake which is a lot closer to an eclair (chocolate frosting on a bavarian cream filled pastry) with toasted coconut sprinkled on top.

ETA: Cafe du Monde sells beignet mix in grocery stores along the gulf coast (I know they had it in Mobile when I lived there) and I've seen it at the odd specialty store in CA and NYC, so it's got to be around somewhere. If not, I'm sure someone on the 'net sells it.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    No, but you can buy the mix. Except I don't know where to buy it except the Cafe du Monde, but surely someone on the internet sells it? Try googling it.
    Thanks for the pizza stone help.

You can buy the from the Cafe Du Monde Website, plus I was shocked to see the official Cafe Du Monde box mix in the International/Regional flavors aisle of my local super market. Don't forget to serve it with coffee or hot chocolate!

New Orleans Beignets Recipe #56209
    This recipe was posted in response to a recipe request. It is from the Cookin' New Orleans Style cookbook. The prep and cook times are estimates. They are cooked when brown on both sides.
    1/2 cup butter
    1 pinch salt
    1 cup hot water
    1 cup sifted flour
    4 eggs
    powdered sugar

1. Drop 1/2 cup butter and a pinch of salt into a pan containing 1 cup of hot water.
    2. Bring to a boil and add 1 cup of sifted flour.
    3. Stir and cook thoroughly until it comes together and pulls away from the pan.
    4. Turn off heat and add 4 eggs, beating after each egg you put in.
    5. Gently flatten the dough and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares (cutting very gently and quickly).
    6. Drop squares into 375 degree deep fat.
    7. As the beignets brown, they will turn over by themselves.
    8. Lay out some heavy brown paper and drain the beignets well on this paper as you remove them from the fat.
    9. Immediately sprinkle with a generous amount of powdered sugar and serve right away while still hot.
    10. Great with cafe au lait.
    11. Be sure to set a castor of powdered sugar on the table so more can be added if needed.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/56209

Here is a link to some Hurricane drink recipes, like those at Pat O'Briens.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=hurricane/ls=h

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Oh cool! Someone that uses a pizza stone. Someone gave me one once and I've never used it. I've hauled this big stone thing around for about 8 years, I think, and I've never used it. It probably used to have directions, but I've long since lost them. Do you just put the dough right on the stone thingy? How do you clean it? Do you need to do anything special?
    I used to be a Pampered Chef consultant so I have a lot of the stones. The only thing you have to do is the first time you use it bake something on it with a high fat content. An easy thing to do is roll out a tube of Pillsbury cookie dough or pizza dough, something like that. After that, you just scrape the junk off with the plastic pan scraper that comes with it and scrub it off with plain warm water. Everyone who said no soap is right, it will absorb and the next thing you make on it will taste like soap. It will turn dark brown over time, but that's ok. Once you have baked something on it like I said you won't ever have to do anything to it again and it will be mostly non-stick.

I did kitchen shows in 1997-98 and just the other day I dropped and broke my original stone from back then. It was a lovely shade of dark, dark brown and I made everything on it. Now I have to start over with a new one.

When they first made the 9 x 13 baker I made lasagne in it and the next day made a cake. It was wonderful and the flavors didn't mix.. so it's interesting that it would absorb soap but not onions and garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Oh I'd go with the Bananas Foster! Sounds yummy!

I heard that about hosting the next party, but you are also supposed to have good luck throughout the year as well.
    I Banana Foster! I use it in crepes, over ice cream, over flan...over (well, you don't want to know about that )

Here's a recipe I've been using since the 60's, from a cookbook so old the pages have turned yellow. Blame it on cheap newsprint, the choice of the Eco-Friendly 60's-70's.

BANANA FOSTER

1/4 Cup of Unsalted Butter

1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar

1 teaspoon of Grated Lemon Peel

12 Small crepes (if used)

4 bananas, peeled and sliced

1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice

1 Tablespoon of Butter

1/4-1/2 Cup of Brandy (sometimes I've seen Banana liqueur used but it's too sweet for me.)

Stir the butter, brown sugar and lemon peel together until well blended. Spread about 2 teaspoons over each crepe and fold into quarters. Slice the bananas and sprinkle with lemon juice. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the crepes, and then top with the bananas. Heat over medium heat until hot throughout. Heat brandy, pour over crepes and ignite. Serve when flames die out. Serves 4
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I have never been to a Mardi Gras party or heard of some of the things you have been discussing....but MAN, they sound GOOOD However, this baby in a King cake sounds mighty strange to my ears!

I just so happened to make Bananas Foster over fresh made waffles for brekky for my sweetie at New Years! It was delish! I used rum instead of brandy and topped it with whip cream, which of course was great for later
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I hope myrosiedog's cake turns out...I'm too late here! It really shouldn't turn out dry though! .
    However, I do have an answer to the other burning question of the day...
    The "baby" in the King cake is the King baby Jesus... for some odd reason I already knew this, but here's a better explanation than I could give, courtesy of good old Jeeves!

The King Cake tradition is believed to have begun with French settlers around 1870, who were themselves continuing a custom which dated back to Twelfth Century France, when a similar cake was used to celebrate the coming of the Magi twelve days after Christmas bearing gifts for the Christ Child. This celebration was also once known as King's Day. As a symbol of this Holy Day, a tiny plastic baby (symbolic of the baby Jesus) is placed inside each King Cake but in times gone past, the hidden items were usually coins, beans, pecans or peas.

Today, the cakes are baked in many shapes but originally, they were round to portray the circular route take by the Magi in order to confuse King Herod, whose army was attempting to follow the Wise Men so that the Christ Child could be killed. The origin of the modern King Cake can be traced back to the Middle Ages, when popular devotion during Christmas turned to the Three Wise Men. In 1871, the tradition of choosing the Queen of Mardi Gras was determined by who drew the prize within the cake. Today, such a find is still deemed to be a sign of good luck and it customary for the person who discovers the hidden plastic baby to host the next King Cake Party.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Carl's Amazing Quesadilla's

Got this recipe from my friend and fantastic chef, Carl.

My husband made them the other night and we've been enjoying the leftovers for lunch.

3/4 c. olive oil
    6 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
    1 lime zested and coarsely chopped
    1 pound flank steak (or you can use 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    12 6 inch flour tortillas
    1 pound montery jack cheese, grated
    grilled onions (recipe follows)
    8 oz. blue cheese crumbled (optional. I don't like blue cheese, so I don't put it on mine. My husband loves blue cheese, so he puts it on his)
    Portabello mushrooms chopped (don't have a quantity, it was left off his recipe he gave me)

Combine oil, garlic, lime zest, chopped lime in a ziplock bag. Add flank steak or chicken and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Turn bag a few times during this time.

Preheat grill (we did these on teh stove top too in a cast iron skillet, but they do taste better on the outdoor grill).
    Remove steak from marinade and salt and pepper both sides. Grill until golden brown and medium rare. Let rest 5 min. and then slice into 1/2 thick pieces.

Preheat oven to 425. Place 6 tortillas on a flat work surface. Top each one with 2 oz of the monterey jack cheese, divide onions, mushrooms and steak over cheese. Crumble 1 oz. blue cheese over each tortilla. Brush the tops of each tortilla with olive oil, place on baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown and the cheese is melted. About 3-5 min. Watch to make sure they don't burn.

Grilled onions
    Olive oil
    2 onions peeled and thinly sliced
    salt and pepper
    1 tbsp. sugar

Heat oil in large skillet over med. heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper and sugar and cook 25-30 min. until carmelized and soft and brown.

This recipe sounds harder than it is and its definetly worth it. These are the BEST quesedillas in the world!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks, mrd, I've been waiting for you to post this!

Closed Thread