Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Every year we have a Mardi Gras party with the usual Louisiana fare. I'd like to change up the menu a bit if anyone has some suggestions. Of course, we'll still have the usual jambalaya, red beans & rice, and meat pies. I'm short on desert ideas. We've got a king cake ordered and I'll probably do pecan pie squares. Any ideas?
    I fared miserably trying to make these myself so I didn't keep the recipe, by pralines are mmm mmm good, not to mention completely in keeping with a New Orleans theme.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    Every year we have a Mardi Gras party with the usual Louisiana fare. I'd like to change up the menu a bit if anyone has some suggestions. Of course, we'll still have the usual jambalaya, red beans & rice, and meat pies. I'm short on desert ideas. We've got a king cake ordered and I'll probably do pecan pie squares. Any ideas?

Beignets (did I spell that right?)

Wish I were sitting at the Cafe du Monde sipping chicory coffee eating some right this very minute! DIVINE.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Stones like cast iron have to be "seasoned" first. The first few times you use, it spray it with Pam. After using it a few times, it shouldnt' need Pam.
    NEVER use soap on it as it is porous and the soap soaks in and everything you cook from that point on will taste soapy. Scrap it and rinse with water. You can put it in the oven at 350 for 20 min. if you really feel the need to "sterilize" it. But its not necessary.
    I own 9 various stones from pizza to casseroles, etc. I use them for cookies, pizza, cakes, casseroles, meatloaf etc. I have gotten rid of all my glass and metal bakeware and will never use anything else ever again.
    My stones have gone from light tan to a very dark brown color, which is what they are supposed to do when you use them.

Cookies and biscuits never burn on the bottom of the stones. (if they burn, then it burns the entire way through because you left them in too long)

I can use my casserole size stone to make lasagna and then turn around the next day and make brownies and no, they don't taste like lasagna.

For those of you with round pizza stones, here is a great recipe

2 cans pillsbury cresent rolls
    1 pound ground beef
    1 package taco seasoning
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 small onion chopped
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    1 small can of corn drained
    Salsa and sour cream to garnish

Ok, this is hard to describe, but you lay out the cresent rolls on the stone with the points facing out, hanging off the stone, you will overlap the wide points of the cresent rolls and there will be a cirlce in the middle of the stone where there are no rolls. It will kind of look like a flower with petals when you are done. Now press the overlaping edges together.

Brown hamburger, onions and garlic until hamburger is cooked. Drain fat. In mixing bowl, mix hamburger, taco seasoning, corn and cheese.
    using a large spoon, mound mixture on the wide, pressed down part of the crescent rolls. Take the point and fold back over the top (it will not completely cover the meat mixture and that is ok)

Bake at 375 for 20-22 min. or until cresent rolls are nice and browned.

Viola! Taco ring. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

You can also make this with cooked, shredded chicken

And there is one using ham and broccali, but will have to look that recipe up.

If you do not have a round stone, you can make this on a rectangle one or cookie sheet by laying down 2 rows of cresents side by side with wide ends togther. Mound meat mixture down the center and then bring points over. You can cris cross them for a braid effect.

Thanks for the info. Mine has also gotten brown. I was afraid that I burned it. Should you use a metal scraper of baked on crumbs, or should baking it a 350 for 20 minutes make it easier to clean?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    HELP!
    I am making this today for a "thing" tonight.
    Do I drain the fruit cocktail?????
    I checked some of my old cookbooks, and all the different recipes that I found called for a can of undrained fruit cocktail. I'm assuming a can is about 2 cups. It also doesn't call for any other liquids or oils. Hope this helps until queenb can confirm.

MRD
    I have a plastic scrapper for my stones. You can also soak them in plain water to loosen stuff. Baking it just makes it harder to get off.
    If its hard to loosen, just soak it for a little while. My husband is a great fan of the soaking it method. He employes it for quite a LOT of the dishes.

The more brown the stones are the better they cook. So its good for them to turn brown. Means they are seasoned and well broken in.

I went with the undrained fruit cocktail Shrinking violet and it looks like it turned out ok. I bought cool whip and I plan on covering it with that if it turns out not to be great. I think it looks dry. I might have overbaked it.
    Thanks for the hint tho. I think it would have been a disaester if I had drained the can.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet View Post
    I checked some of my old cookbooks, and all the different recipes that I found called for a can of undrained fruit cocktail. I'm assuming a can is about 2 cups. It also doesn't call for any other liquids or oils. Hope this helps until queenb can confirm.
    Your cake is probably done by now, myrosiedog, but ShrinkingViolet is correct...it's an undrained fruit cocktail can that you use. I did a "search" for fruit cocktail cake and the first two pages had "undrained" as part of the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    My favourite Mardi Gras dessert usually consists of a double old fashioned glass, filled with bourbon, an orange slice, and a paper umbrella!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    lildago, I don't know where you are in the great state of Louisiana, but we've been getting some pretty awesome native strawberries here in the BR area. If I were sticking with the LA theme, I'd do shortcake or parfaits or maybe even mini tarts/pies.
    Thanks, PhoneGrrrl. Strawberry shortcake is a great idea and easy to do! I'm actually in Texas now but grew up in LA so I've got to have my Mardi Gras party. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to drink hurricanes!

Rattus, pralines will work but I think I'll buy them. I'm sure I'd fail miserably too!

myrosiedog, do you have a recipe for beignets?

ETA: lambi, I just saw your post. Bourbon is not my drink of choice but I'll stick an umbrella in my hurricane!
    Last edited by lildago; 02-16-2006 at 05:24 PM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD
    Thanks, PhoneGrrrl. Strawberry shortcake is a great idea and easy to do! I'm actually in Texas now but grew up in LA so I've got to have my Mardi Gras party. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to drink hurricanes!

Rattus, pralines will work but I think I'll buy them. I'm sure I'd fail miserably too!

myrosiedog, do you have a recipe for beignets?
    No, but you can buy the mix. Except I don't know where to buy it except the Cafe du Monde, but surely someone on the internet sells it? Try googling it.
    Your party sounds like fun. We did a 9 year old friends birthday last weekend with a mardi gras them and it was fun. I made a huge cake that was incredible considering I suck at decoreating cakes and we had beads and coins and all the works and the kids decorated masks and we did coin tosses and bead tosses. So much fun. I even baked a coin in the cake for some lucky guest to find.

Hey, lildago!

Paper 'brolly's in a Hurricane....sounds good to me!

Seriously, regarding additional desserts, although I've never had a King "Cake", it seems that the cake is more of a sweet bread, wouldn't you agree? That said, any other desserts should be less "bread-y", especially since so many other starches like beans and rice are also being served.

How about a Sweet Potato Pie with Rum-Flavoured Whipped Cream?

Or, Bananas Foster, in pre-made crepes, and served, warm from the oven with a Banana-flavoured whipped cream or creme fraiche with sprinkles of brown sugar on it. Or, if you wanted to pour brandy on them, you could serve them flambeed.

One last thing: WHY do they have a baby baked into a King Cake???? I can't find an answer to this, on line.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    One last thing: WHY do they have a baby baked into a King Cake???? I can't find an answer to this, on line.
    I don't know why it's a baby. Maybe someone else knows why. PhoneGrrrl? I do know that whoever finds it is supposed to host the next Mardi Gras party.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Closed Thread