Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victrola View Post
    Our pizza stone works wonders at getting things crispy. We leave it in the oven so it's always there.
    I didn't know you could always leave it in the oven. I've had trouble cleaning mine. It says not to use soap, but there is some baked on bread crumbs that annoy me.

Oh cool! Someone that uses a pizza stone. Someone gave me one once and I've never used it. I've hauled this big stone thing around for about 8 years, I think, and I've never used it. It probably used to have directions, but I've long since lost them. Do you just put the dough right on the stone thingy? How do you clean it? Do you need to do anything special?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Oh cool! Someone that uses a pizza stone. Someone gave me one once and I've never used it. I've hauled this big stone thing around for about 8 years, I think, and I've never used it. It probably used to have directions, but I've long since lost them. Do you just put the dough right on the stone thingy? How do you clean it? Do you need to do anything special?
    I use hot water and a scraper to clean mine. No soap as it "soaks" into the stone. They are from pamered chef (at least mine is) so check their website for more info. I only use mine to bake cookies on.

I think mine came from Pampered Chef as well. The person that gave it to me used to sell their stuff. Thanks PGM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Do you just put the dough right on the stone thingy?
    I had problems with the dough sticking. Then I learned a bit of a trick--put down some corn meal first on the stone--just a dusting. Somehow or another the grainy-ness of the corn meal give enough of a lift to the pizza dough so that it doesn't stick so much. That, with 2 other recipes, are the only good things I ever learned from my sis's ex-boyfriend. (He made some killer margaritas and salsa. No wonder he became a drunk layabout. )

Someone gave me one once and I've never used it. I've hauled this big stone thing around for about 8 years, I think, and I've never used it. It probably used to have directions, but I've long since lost them.
    Mine is still in the box Star, and you just made me pull it out to check..but there's no directions in there either. Like you, I've been hauling it around for YEARS...I'm guessing 10 or more Y'all are making me want to pull it out and concoct something on it though just mentioning it.

MRD
    Stones like cast iron have to be "seasoned" first. The first few times you use, it spray it with Pam. After using it a few times, it shouldnt' need Pam.
    NEVER use soap on it as it is porous and the soap soaks in and everything you cook from that point on will taste soapy. Scrap it and rinse with water. You can put it in the oven at 350 for 20 min. if you really feel the need to "sterilize" it. But its not necessary.
    I own 9 various stones from pizza to casseroles, etc. I use them for cookies, pizza, cakes, casseroles, meatloaf etc. I have gotten rid of all my glass and metal bakeware and will never use anything else ever again.
    My stones have gone from light tan to a very dark brown color, which is what they are supposed to do when you use them.

Cookies and biscuits never burn on the bottom of the stones. (if they burn, then it burns the entire way through because you left them in too long)

I can use my casserole size stone to make lasagna and then turn around the next day and make brownies and no, they don't taste like lasagna.

Pampered Chef is great, that is where I have gotten all my stones from. I absolutely LOVE them.

For those of you with round pizza stones, here is a great recipe

2 cans pillsbury cresent rolls
    1 pound ground beef
    1 package taco seasoning
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 small onion chopped
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    1 small can of corn drained
    Salsa and sour cream to garnish

Ok, this is hard to describe, but you lay out the cresent rolls on the stone with the points facing out, hanging off the stone, you will overlap the wide points of the cresent rolls and there will be a cirlce in the middle of the stone where there are no rolls. It will kind of look like a flower with petals when you are done. Now press the overlaping edges together.

Brown hamburger, onions and garlic until hamburger is cooked. Drain fat. In mixing bowl, mix hamburger, taco seasoning, corn and cheese.
    using a large spoon, mound mixture on the wide, pressed down part of the crescent rolls. Take the point and fold back over the top (it will not completely cover the meat mixture and that is ok)

Bake at 375 for 20-22 min. or until cresent rolls are nice and browned.

Viola! Taco ring. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

You can also make this with cooked, shredded chicken

And there is one using ham and broccali, but will have to look that recipe up.

If you do not have a round stone, you can make this on a rectangle one or cookie sheet by laying down 2 rows of cresents side by side with wide ends togther. Mound meat mixture down the center and then bring points over. You can cris cross them for a braid effect.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-16-2006 at 09:07 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post

You can use the fruit cocktail in this easy fruit cocktail cake; it's a lot better than it sounds!

2 cups unbleached flour
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 cups fruit cocktail
    2 tablespoons baking soda
    2 large eggs
    1 pinch salt

Preparation:
    Mixall ingredients in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Mix by hand. Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 40 minutes.

HELP!
    I am making this today for a "thing" tonight.
    Do I drain the fruit cocktail?????
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Every year we have a Mardi Gras party with the usual Louisiana fare. I'd like to change up the menu a bit if anyone has some suggestions. Of course, we'll still have the usual jambalaya, red beans & rice, and meat pies. I'm short on desert ideas. We've got a king cake ordered and I'll probably do pecan pie squares. Any ideas?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Every year we have a Mardi Gras party with the usual Louisiana fare. I'd like to change up the menu a bit if anyone has some suggestions. Of course, we'll still have the usual jambalaya, red beans & rice, and meat pies. I'm short on desert ideas. We've got a king cake ordered and I'll probably do pecan pie squares. Any ideas?
    lildago, I don't know where you are in the great state of Louisiana, but we've been getting some pretty awesome native strawberries here in the BR area. If I were sticking with the LA theme, I'd do shortcake or parfaits or maybe even mini tarts/pies.

Closed Thread