Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

I did my Valentine's dinner last night, and it came out real well...appetizer of garlic bagel chips with cream cheese and home smoked salmon, main dish was Pecan Crusted Grouper, Savory Wild and Long Grain Rice, and buttered and steamed carrots (L can't have green stuff due to his medication)

I made this for dessert , only I made it as cupcakes...bake for 22 minutes, not the listed time. I added pink cream cheese icing, heart shaped sprinkles and a chocolate kiss or heart on each for decoration.

**CC members, don't worry...I sent all the leftover home with my sweetie!**

Extra Easy chocolate Cake

3/4 cup cocoa
    3/4 cup plain flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teasp;poon salt
    3/4 cup unsalted butter
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    8 oz. sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare an 8 inch cake pan.
    Sift together alldry ingredients and sret aside.
    Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
    Add eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping bowl after each. Add the vanilla extract.
    Add 1/2 the dry mixture at low speed, then the sour cream.
    Add the remaining dry ingredients.Blend well and scrape the bowl.
    Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30 minutes or until done--the center won't spring back. Do not overbake. Remove from the oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan. Frost or decorate as desired.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Hey Girls! And gabriel too!

Do you know how to properly replace one vanilla bean, in a recipe, with pure vanilla extract? I don't have beans, don't know where to get them and don't know if I substitute, what the comparative measurement would be per bean. .

Any ideas?

Hey queenB I didn't know you had a sweetie! Do tell!
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-14-2006 at 11:14 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

According the the substitution guide in my cookbook, its one tablespoon extract for every half a bean called for in the recipe. If you do decide to get the beans, they are in the spice section of most Walmarts/Grocery Stores. Just look where they have all the little glass jars of McCormicks and they usually come two to a jar.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    We use teh small flour tortillas to make pizzas. Yummy and they get kind of crisp in the oven which I lik

d.
    I am always trying to make cheese crisps and pizza using tortillas, but I can never get them crispy (like the restaraunts do). What is the secret?

I'm not sure, but it might help to raise the temperature a little bit, or put the oven shelf in a lower position. (works on frozen pizzas!!)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I'm not sure, but it might help to raise the temperature a little bit, or put the oven shelf in a lower position. (works on frozen pizzas!!)
    I know that I have baked them, broiled them, used a pizza pan, used a pizza pan with holes, used no pan, used a lot of cheese, used a little cheese, baked first, then added cheese, raised the temp., lowered the temp- everything I can think of! I would love for a cheese crisp, just once, to turn out like they do at the mexican restaurants- crispy and hard so they don't flop over.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I am always trying to make cheese crisps and pizza using tortillas, but I can never get them crispy (like the restaraunts do). What is the secret?
    I use a toaster oven and I know that makes a huge difference than the big oven.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know that I have baked them, broiled them, used a pizza pan, used a pizza pan with holes, used no pan, used a lot of cheese, used a little cheese, baked first, then added cheese, raised the temp., lowered the temp- everything I can think of! I would love for a cheese crisp, just once, to turn out like they do at the mexican restaurants- crispy and hard so they don't flop over.
    You could try removing them from the pan as soon as they come out of the oven and place them on a rack of some sort. I know that when I leave pizza, biscuits, etc. on the pan condensation from the cooling often makes the bottoms soggy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    ...its one tablespoon extract for every half a bean called for in the recipe. If you do decide to get the beans, they are in the spice section of most Walmarts/Grocery Stores.
    Thank you so VERY much. I couldn't find that information anywhere!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Our pizza stone works wonders at getting things crispy. We leave it in the oven so it's always there.

Closed Thread