Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Star, here's something your daughter might enjoy making, although you'd definitely have to help her -- doughnuts. You get canned biscuits, cut out a hole in the middle, and drop them in a fry-daddy or other manner of deep fryer. Then you scoop them out and shake them in a bag of sugar, or whatever coating you want. They're yummy, easy and kids could probably manage all of it except the boiling-oil bits.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    In fact, in the fantasy world within my head, I've always wanted a 20 seater restaraunt, done in classic 1940's diner style, that ONLY served soup, muffins and pies. It would be open from 10-3 pm, leaving me free for the rest of the day. A good bowl of soup and a nice slice of pie...oh my!
    OMG That sound's absolutely marvelous! Book me a standing reservation for a table for two in the corner by the victrola for me and my sweetie. Let me know when your opening night is!

Here's a quickie recipe that kids or adults can do. It simple and yummy.

Tuna Quesadillas
    ---------------------------------
    The following measurements are very general. Adjust to your liking.

Take 2 large soft tortillas. Heat one in a large frying pan on low while you mix the filling: Heat the second over the top of a smaller pan also.

1 can tuna
    1/3 C miracle whip
    2 TB chopped onions
    A few green onions, minced
    1 TB mustard, any flavor
    1/3 C shredded cheese, mozzerella, cheddar, I like marble.
    1/2 C chopped tomatoes
    fresh ground pepper

Mix it all in a bowl and spread over the top of the large tortilla. Then place the second warm tortilla over the top to make a filled pancake. Heat until crispy and melted and a bit brown on the bottom. Flip if you can with a large spatula thingy to warm the other side. (If you warm the second one though you can skip the flip part) Slide out of pan and cut into pieces on a bread board. Serve with fries, salad, fruit, salsa, sour cream, whatever you have.

Can add chopped water chestnuts, pineapple chunks, and soy sauce to make it Hawaiian-like. Omit the tomatoe then. It's flexible. Put in whatever is your favorite or whatever you have on hand.

It is a quick nutritious meal that I've come to adore. Particularly when I'm tired or sick or both. And don't forget to save the tuna juice from the can for your favorite kitties!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Wow! You sound like such an accomplished cook, myrosiedog! To recite a recipe from your head.....

It's nice, isn't it, when you have friends that value your cooking skills and actually request meals? Makes you feel all "Rachel Ray"!
    Well Lambi, it doesn't sound like you are too shabby in the recipe department yourself.
    I LOVE to make soup and I never use a recipe. I just start making it and put in stuff I know is good. I've been making the chicken one for years, so I have it down pretty good.
    I think with soups and stews and chili, you really don't need an exact recipe.
    Anyway, this is how my mom and grandmother cooked and I learned from the best, so that's how I cook too. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, taste it and add a pinch of this and a pinch of that, taste it again.

I love to cook and cooking soup is my favorite.
    I did take a base recipe for a soup my daughter wanted this week and made it. It was weak and blah, so I then started adding and it definetly improved on it.

My secret ingredient: dry mustard. That stuff can make ANYTHING have a rich taste. I use it in almost everything I cook. That and boullion cubes. I have to say that those are my 2 best secret ingredients. Even if I use chicken stock, I'll add a chicken bouillin cube to make it "richer".
    I also add beef boullion cubes to chili and to crockpot roasts. Just makes the flavor better.

I have other recipes I can type off the top of my head too. ONes I've made forever and don't need to look them up. I don't ever remember seeing my grandmother or mom use a recipe too often. Usually only for baked goods as those need to be exact. But for dinner, they just cooked and that's what I do too.

I wrote this in the perfect meal thread, but I have a friend with mouth cancer that is one of the greatest cooks in the world. I've eaten MANY a fine and wonderful meal at his table and always felt he could cook circles around me. Cruel as this world is, he had to have his tongue removed because of the cancer and the most flattering compliment I have EVER gotten was he asked me to cook one of his last meals before his surgery. I made him my grandmother's fried green tomatos with bacon cream gravy and a wonderful Lowcountry recipe called Shrimp and Grits at his request.

Nothing will ever be a better compliment than that was to me. Bittersweet to be sure, but I was touched by it all the same.

Anyway, this thread is one of my favorites here at the fort because I love reading recipes. I read cookbooks like others read bestselling fiction.
    I love to get new recipes, I love to talk to other cooks and get their ideas and then try them out and incorporate something they did into my cooking.
    Cooking is just plain fun and the end result is usually very satisfying!

Thanks again Lambi for the compliment. Hats off to you as well as it sounds like your friends benefit from your largesse in the kitchen as well.
    And I'd come to your soup restuarant any time. Soup and muffins. Not much of a pie girl unless its peanut butter pie or chocolate sillk pie. I am not a fruit pie eater for some reason. Funny you mention opening a restaurnat as I've always wanted to open one that I could make soup for. My husband wants to open a BBQ restaurant and goodness knows our town needs one. I've had enough bad BBQ to last me a lifetime.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-14-2006 at 09:51 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Ever tried getting a Jello no bake french silk pie, making it in a grahmn cracker crust with peanut butter added in and using the crust mix as a topper for )optional) whipped cream?
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    Ever tried getting a Jello no bake french silk pie, making it in a grahmn cracker crust with peanut butter added in and using the crust mix as a topper for )optional) whipped cream?

DO go on!!!! I need to know more!

I was goign to make a cake for Valentine's Day dinner tonight, but have no ambition or energy today. dh is making us these amazing quesedillas with grilled steak marinated in lime, garlic and olive oil, monterey jack cheese, portabello mushrooms and blue cheese, then grilled and cut into quarters. They are muy bueno!

Maybe I would have the energy to make a no bake french silk pie with peanute butter tho, after all, it IS Valentine's day

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Go to the grocery and pick up pie mix (super easy), grahmn cracker crust, peanut butter and if you like whipped cream. Make the fill for the pie but not crust. add PB to GC crust and chill. Then when you serve put WC on top and use crust mix (squished oreos) as the crumble topping. Hubby will think you slaved for days.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

MRD
    thanks. Headed out to the store right now!

Star, here is another GREAT cookbook for kids. Everything is very easy and healthy. We bought it for my son when he was three because he loved to help in the kitchen. Now both of my older kids like to use it.

It's called "PRETEND SOUP AND OTHER REAL RECIPES" by Mollie Katzen. She did the Moosewood Cookbooks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...lance&n=283155

I should add that there are a lot of reviews for this book on amazon which will give you a good idea of the recipes and skill level.

Also, my kids love to make their own guacamole. We have an old molcajete which they like to use to mash it all together but it's not necessary. Even my three year old makes her own.

Each child gets:

1 avacado sliced in half with the pit removed and a big spoon

salt - loose so they can pinch it in

pepper - loose so they can pinch it in

tomatoes or chunky salsa - I will chop up and put it in a bowl so they can spoon it in.

mild hot sauce - I usually just give them some that they can pour or spoon in

1/2 lemon to squeeze in (roll it around while applying pressure before slicing so its easy for kids to squeeze)

I will usually set it all out on taco or fajita night and while I cook the big stuff they just put all their ingredients in the bowl and mash it all together. They each have their own little way of doing it and make it to suit their taste. Then mom gets to dig in and test them both!

happy cooking!
    Last edited by applesauce; 02-14-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Star, here's something your daughter might enjoy making, although you'd definitely have to help her -- doughnuts. You get canned biscuits, cut out a hole in the middle, and drop them in a fry-daddy or other manner of deep fryer. Then you scoop them out and shake them in a bag of sugar, or whatever coating you want. They're yummy, easy and kids could probably manage all of it except the boiling-oil bits.
    Oh my goodness, Lucy, I had forgotten all about those! We used to make them quite often as kids. *sniff* Oh my, what memories.

I'm going to have to share that with my niece and nephews.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I made these for Valentine's Day. I substituted neufchâtel cheese, reduced fat cresecent rolls and reduced the amount of sugar for the topping.

Cream Cheese Cinnamon Crescents

2 (8 ounce) cans crescent roll dough
    2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup butter
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Roll out one can of crescent rolls in bottom of 9x13 pan.
    2. I sprayed pan with cooking spray.
    3. Cream together: 2 8oz. cream cheese.
    4. 1 cup sugar.
    5. 1 teaspoon vanilla.
    6. Spread this mixture over crescent rolls.
    7. Lay second tube of crescent rolls over mixture.
    8. Melt 1/2 cup butter, mix in 3/4 cup sugar,
    9. 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and pour over top.
    10. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/125633

Closed Thread