Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

myrosiedog, you could use the tomatoes and chilies in Spanish rice, or an easy dip (Melt a package of Velveeta, add a can of diced tomatoes and one of chiles). You could make nachos and add the beans as well.

With the coconut milk and pineapples, make pina coladas and put the pineapples on toothpicks to garnish, after the weather warms up of course... or use the coconut milk in coconut shrimp and serve the pineapple chilled for dessert.

Coconut Shrimp
    ---
    1 pound fresh or frozen shrimp -- peeled and deveined
    3/4 cup canned sweetened coconut milk
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    12 ounces fresh bok choy trimmed, bias cut
    -- 1" pieces
    8 ounces fresh mushrooms -- quartered
    2 cups hot cooked rice
    2 tablespoons snipped cilantro or parsley
    cilantro or parsley sprigs -- optional

Preparation:
    Thaw shrimp if frozen. Set aside. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together coconut milk, fish sauce, and whit pepper. Set aside. Pour cooking oil into a wok or 12 inch skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add bok choy; stir fry for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from the wok. Add half of the shrimp to the hot wok. Stir-fry fro 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from the wok. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Return all shrimp to the wok. Push shrimp from center of wok. Stir sauce. Add sauce to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until bubbly. Return cooked vegetables to the wok. Stir all the ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir 1 minute more or until heated through. Toss together rice and snipped cilantro or parsley. Arrange rice mixture on a serving platter or 4 individual plates. Spoon shrimp mixture over rice mixture. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro or parsley sprigs, if desired.

You can use the fruit cocktail in this easy fruit cocktail cake; it's a lot better than it sounds!

2 cups unbleached flour
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 cups fruit cocktail
    2 tablespoons baking soda
    2 large eggs
    1 pinch salt

Preparation:
    Mixall ingredients in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Mix by hand. Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 40 minutes.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Anybody have a good "feel better" recipie to blast out a chest cold? I am a total wimp and my chest hurts. Jafo and my oldest boy are sick too. Only Napolean (3 year old dictator of the house) is well. Must be the meanness.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

One thing my boys love to make is their own mini pizzas.
    You can either use small pizza bases (that you make or buy) or slice open a few English muffins or pitas to act as the bases.
    Buying pre-made eliminates the often messy process of using flour anywhere near children.
    You can make or buy tomato pizza sauce (although my boys like to help me make pesto for their base) and choose a range of different toppings for each mini pizza.
    They love to eat their own little creations and because the muffin ones are so small they can each make and eat three or four different ones.
    You just need to decide on a range of toppings and get a little assembly line going.

The process has enough steps to keep them interested, but not so many that they lose focus and get bored.
    You can also control the quality of the ingredients.
    I have a friend whose sons and daughter do not eat vegetables, yet if they get to slice the mushrooms and open up the can of corn they'll have both since I introduced her to the joy of mini pizzas, they've even expanded their taste to include artichoke hearts
    Last edited by fluff; 02-13-2006 at 02:13 PM.

Hep and fluff have combined to help me figure out what to make for dinner tonight. I have English Muffins (which I NEVER would have thought to use for pizza crusts--great idea!), string cheese, and pizza sauce. I always have different kinds of fresh veggies laying around that I can cut up to put on them as well.

That Holly Hobby cookbook sounds great. Thanks for everyone's input. I didn't get up early enough to make muffins this morning (long night last night ) but its my plan to make them today so I can have them for tomorrow morning.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    One thing my boys love to make is their own mini pizzas.
    You can either use small pizza bases (that you make or buy) or slice open a few English muffins or pitas to act as the bases.
    Buying pre-made eliminates the often messy process of using flour anywhere near children.
    You can make or buy tomato pizza sauce (although my boys like to help me make pesto for their base) and choose a range of different toppings for each mini pizza.
    They love to eat their own little creations and because the muffin ones are so small they can each make and eat three or four different ones.
    You just need to decide on a range of toppings and get a little assembly line going.

The process has enough steps to keep them interested, but not so many that they lose focus and get bored.
    You can also control the quality of the ingredients.
    I have a friend whose sons and daughter do not eat vegetables, yet if they get to slice the mushrooms and open up the can of corn they'll have both since I introduced her to the joy of mini pizzas, they've even expanded their taste to include artichoke hearts
    We use teh small flour tortillas to make pizzas. Yummy and they get kind of crisp in the oven which I like.

Queenb the fruit cocktail cake sounds yummy and I'm making it to take to a "thing" on Thur.

I would LOVE the coconut shrimp, but the rest of the family would turn up nose at it. However, I'm keeping the recipe as I may have friends I could make it for.

And to everyone else that gave recipes. Thank you a bunch, I have printed them out and we are having applesauce cake for Valentine's day.

Isn't it amazing how we end up with a shelf full of odd, don't go together ingredients sometimes?

I wish Doorknock dinners was still on the Food network. I'd love for Gordon Elliott to knock on my door and have his chef prepare something from my pantry and fridge! It would be different.

Feel better chicken soup. (sorry, I just make this, I don't really have amounts, but I'm convinced you can't mess up soup)

I place one whole chicken in a large pot of water. Add salt, pepper, bay leave, coarsely chopped carrots, celery (with leaves on), onions, garlic. Cook until chicken is done. Remove chicken and let cool. Drain stock, but don't discard as this is the basis for your soup. You want to get rid of the boiled veggies tho.

In stock pan, heat 1 stick of butter. Add finely chopped 1 large carrot, 2 ribs celery, 1 med. onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic. Cook about 5 min. Add chicken stock to this mixture.
    I add salt and pepper to taste
    about 1-2 tsp. dry mustard
    1 bay leaf
    1-2 chicken boullin cubes for more chicken flavor
    some oregano, basil, parsley
    a splash of white wine

Meanwhile chicken has cooled, so debone and discard skin. I chop chicken coarsely and add back to soup.
    I also had a small bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
    simmer about 10 more min.

To this I add either 2 cups already cooked rice OR 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta.
    When pasta is done serve soup.

My family requests this soup all the time and I"ve taken it to so many sick friends that they have started asking me to bring it to them when they are sick. I don't know if it cures anything, but it sure is good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Cool, thanks. *sniff, cough*

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    Anybody have a good "feel better" recipie to blast out a chest cold? I am a total wimp and my chest hurts. Jafo and my oldest boy are sick too. Only Napolean (3 year old dictator of the house) is well. Must be the meanness.
    If you feel like crap you surely don't feel like cooking either. When I was sick with this crap I just popped those Campbell's Soup at Hand soups into the microwave. Chicken & Stars or Chicken Noodle. It was easy and good enough for when you don't feel like cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    We use teh small flour tortillas to make pizzas. Yummy and they get kind of crisp in the oven which I like.
    That's a good idea if you like a crispy base, which I do.
    We always slice the muffins in half and toast them first before putting on the toppings and baking them because we all like a crispier base to a pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    If you feel like crap you surely don't feel like cooking either. When I was sick with this crap I just popped those Campbell's Soup at Hand soups into the microwave. Chicken & Stars or Chicken Noodle. It was easy and good enough for when you don't feel like cooking.

Those are good. I will prolly just do that. Or I can lay on the couch and guide Jafo through grilled cheese and soup.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    My family requests this soup all the time and I"ve taken it to so many sick friends that they have started asking me to bring it to them when they are sick. I don't know if it cures anything, but it sure is good.
    Wow! You sound like such an accomplished cook, myrosiedog! To recite a recipe from your head.....

It's nice, isn't it, when you have friends that value your cooking skills and actually request meals? Makes you feel all "Rachel Ray"!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread