Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Star, this is a super-easy muffin recipe I've been making with my oldest daughter since she was 4.

1/2 cup oil (or applesauce)
    1 cup shredded carrots, OR two medium mashed bananas
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon

Mix sugar & oil. Add beaten eggs. Stir in shredded carrots (or bananas).
    Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinammon. Add small amounts to sugar mixture alternating with milk.
    Bake approx. 20 minutes in preheated 375 oven, in greased or nonstick muffin tins (12 regular-size or 6 jumbo).

If you're making banana muffins, you can toss in some chocolate chips, or add sprinkles.

The best thing about this recipe is that the ingredients are all common things that are always on hand in the cupboards, so if you've got a bored little one, you can suggest making these on the spur of the moment. A kid can also easily mix the wet ingredients and mash the bananas, and pour the milk in while you're mixing (since you shouldn't over-stir muffin batter, I do that part myself).

My oldest just loves making these with me. Her sister is almost old enough to help, too.

Another thing they both like to help with is pancake-making. Their dad is usually on pancake duty here, and he lets the girls break the eggs in the bowl and do the mixing.

Baking is easiest to do with kids, I find, because you don't have to worry as much about bacteria (like you do when handling raw meat). Veggie duty, like Hep suggested, is a good idea too.

That book lildago suggested sounds great, too.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I need help.

I have a pantry full of random ingredients and need some recipes to use them.
    Here are a few things I have. Anyone have suggestions

1 can coconut milk-Tom Kah Kai, a wonderous coconut-chicken soup!

1 can applesauce (yes a can, don't know where that came from, was thinking about making a cake because I know you can use applesauce in them, but have never done so) How about an Applesauce Cake, not just using the applesauce to replace the fat in a recipe! Add raisins...yummy!

1 can of pears Pear-Apple Crisp! With gingersnap crust and whipped cream!

1 can of pineapple chunks Add it to the Fruit cocktail...

4 cans tuna. Need a GREAT receipe for that as we only ever eat tuna noodle casserole and now daughter will NOT eat it at all. food!

Regarding all the chilis and tomatoes and beans, you can always make a chili recipe.

Of course, considering all the ingredients that you have to buy to make the dishes, it might be more cost effective to just donate the cans to a food pantry. That way, they don't go to waste and you're doing some good for people. That's what I do when I've got cans or boxes of stuff that I just lost the taste for, I bring them to a Domestic Abuse Shelter that I do volunteer work at. They always accept them willingly.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I need help.

I have a pantry full of random ingredients and need some recipes to use them.
    I don't know where this stuff came from (I must have bought it for some reason) and now am stuck and need to move this stuff off the shelf and find some new yummy recipe to try.

Here are a few things I have. Anyone have suggestions

2 cans fruit cocktail (please do not suggest jello, we all hate it)
    1 can of pears
    1 can of pineapple chunks
    Easy fruit salad recipe that my daughter loves. Buy a big tub of Cool Whip, a pint of cottage cheese and jello powder just for taste (we usually use strawberry) drain the juice off the fruit and mix it all together. Don't prepare the jello (not that you would since you don't like it ), just mix in enough for taste and color. We call it fruit mash. My daughter just loves it. You can do it without the jello, too. I haven't but heck, it has cool whip, it has to be yummy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    Easy fruit salad recipe that my daughter loves. Buy a big tub of Cool Whip, a pint of cottage cheese and jello powder just for taste (we usually use strawberry) drain the juice off the fruit and mix it all together. Don't prepare the jello (not that you would since you don't like it ), just mix in enough for taste and color. We call it fruit mash. My daughter just loves it. You can do it without the jello, too. I haven't but heck, it has cool whip, it has to be yummy, too.
    If you didn't have JELLO but KOOL-AID packages, do you think that would work, dagwood? The Fruit Mash sounds like something that my girlfriend and kids would like but they never have JELLO on hand.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    I don't think you could substitute Kool-Aid for Jello, I make a similar recipe and the gelatin helps set up the salad so it's not soupy. My recipe uses the whole box of Jello though. I can't hurt if you want to try it but you would have to use presweetened Kool-Aid.

Gosh, thanks for the responses, guys. I really appreciate everyone taking a moment to give me a few new ideas. Anya loves muffins, so it might be something we'll try first thing tomorrow. You're all always such a big help to me. Thank you.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Fort Member
    myrosiedog,
    I love tuna, try these two, they should use up three of the ingredients

I have never seen chillies in a can so i can only guess what they are and asume you drain and dice them? Then add them to the puree tomatoes. Make or buy a pizza base. Spread tomato mix over base top with a couple of cans of the tuna. Blanch some snow peas add to top of pizza place in oven until all is heated through top with sour cream just before serving. You could also add some garlic to the tomato puree and olives to the topping.

Cook some pasta, mix tuna with can of diced tomatoes and some of the chillis stir through hot pasta add olives, black pepper and parmesan cheese

AJane, those muffins sound great...and easy to make! I think we'll try those tomorrow!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Star, I've got a recipe around here somewhere for some really yummy muffins that you can cook in the microwave. You can make the batter up ahead of time and keep it refrigerated for several days and just make the muffins a few at a time, whenever you want one. The recipe was really easy too. I'll take a look around and see if I can find the recipe. I remember loving them as a kid.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Stargazer, I went to Amazon to see if my favorite kids cookbook (i.e. the one I grew up with and still use) is available. Sadly it's only in the Marketplace sellers, and used. But if you ever run across a copy of Holly Hobbie's cookbook--circa '79--there are some great recipes in there that are kid-friendly as well as stand the test of time.
    It's also available on ebay. Here's a link to it to buy (not bid) on it. Good Cooking Karma, Stargazer! http://search.stores.ebay.com/Harves...708891QQsofpZ0

Closed Thread