Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Critical that cake sounds awesome! I can't wait for something to come up and I can give it a try.

Just stopping in to say I got a crock pot and toaster oven for Christmas in my new apartment. So when I actually have the internet up there I am so going to be printing out and trying some of these reciepies.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ITA, the grape jelly sounds awful, Roses
    I promise it's really good, I wouldn't post something icky in here.

Mantenna - yours with the mustard sounds good too. I put blackberry jam in my shrimp cocktail sauce but hadn't thought of using it with the smokies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I promise it's really good, I wouldn't post something icky in here.
    I totally trust you, Marleybone, and I'm sure Critical does too. It just sounds awful.
    Mantenna - yours with the mustard sounds good too. I put blackberry jam in my shrimp cocktail sauce but hadn't thought of using it with the smokies.
    Yes, Manny's sounds good, too. You can bet I'll be making these variations.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

OK. Since we're sharing...Here's mine for Fruity Glazed Meatballs. It's great. It uses red currant jelly and soy sauce.

FRUITY GLAZED MEATBALLS
    Excellent - can do in slow cooker - freezes well - can do sauce alone and use on other things.

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. (450 g) lean ground beef
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup (125 mL) dry bread crumbs
    3 Tbsp. (45 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup (25 mL) sliced green onions
    1 tsp. (5 mL) soy sauce
    1 cup (250 mL) chili sauce
    1 cup (250 mL) redcurrant jelly
    1 Tbsp. (15 mL) soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
    Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste

METHOD

In a medium-sized glass bowl, combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, green onions, soy sauce, salt and pepper

Mix well and shape into 1-inch (2.5 cm) meatballs.

Preheat the oven to 400 F (205 C).

Arrange meatballs on lightly oiled foil-lined baking tray, and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until thermometer inserted into several meatballs reads at least 160F (71C).

Meanwhile, combine redcurrant jelly, chili sauce, remaining soy sauce, lemon juice and meatballs in 3 to 4-quart (3 to 4 L) slow cooker.

Cook, covered, on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until sauce is bubbly and meatballs
    are hot.

NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING-- 208 Calories, 6 g Fat, 9 g Protein,
    29 g Carbohydrates, A source of Iron (10 % RDI) and a good source of Zinc (21 % RDI)

TIP
    If you are short of time, you can make the meatballs ahead, bake and freeze for up to 3 months. Or use pre-made purchased ones. Before adding to slow cooker, allow meatballs to defrost for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    OK. Since we're sharing...Here's mine for Fruity Glazed Meatballs. It's great. It uses red currant jelly and soy sauce. FRUITY GLAZED MEATBALLS

*does a double take* whew ...for minute there I thought she was typing something about me.... "fruity....."
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    OK. Since we're sharing...Here's mine for Fruity Glazed Meatballs. It's great. It uses red currant jelly and soy sauce.

FRUITY GLAZED MEATBALLS
    Excellent - can do in slow cooker - freezes well - can do sauce alone and use on other things.

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. (450 g) lean ground beef
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup (125 mL) dry bread crumbs
    3 Tbsp. (45 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup (25 mL) sliced green onions
    1 tsp. (5 mL) soy sauce
    1 cup (250 mL) chili sauce
    1 cup (250 mL) redcurrant jelly
    1 Tbsp. (15 mL) soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
    Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste

METHOD

In a medium-sized glass bowl, combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, green onions, soy sauce, salt and pepper

Mix well and shape into 1-inch (2.5 cm) meatballs.

Preheat the oven to 400 F (205 C).

Arrange meatballs on lightly oiled foil-lined baking tray, and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until thermometer inserted into several meatballs reads at least 160F (71C).

Meanwhile, combine redcurrant jelly, chili sauce, remaining soy sauce, lemon juice and meatballs in 3 to 4-quart (3 to 4 L) slow cooker.

Cook, covered, on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until sauce is bubbly and meatballs
    are hot.

NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING-- 208 Calories, 6 g Fat, 9 g Protein,
    29 g Carbohydrates, A source of Iron (10 % RDI) and a good source of Zinc (21 % RDI)

TIP
    If you are short of time, you can make the meatballs ahead, bake and freeze for up to 3 months. Or use pre-made purchased ones. Before adding to slow cooker, allow meatballs to defrost for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
    misskitty: I red currant jelly and I really like the recipe you have for meatballs; I think that I have to give this a try for New Year's Day, since I just want things to snack on throughout the day.

P.S. I adore your signature!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks for all the suggestions for snacks. They all sound yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    *does a double take* whew ...for minute there I thought she was typing something about me.... "fruity....."
    Aw, Gabriel, I like you too much to say something like that!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    I tried to make pralines last week. They came out totally disgusting.
    There are many ways to make pralines, but this is the only one that's ever worked for me--and it's kind of unorthodox. I'm no candy maestro, but the best advice I can give you is to either get someone to teach you visually what the difference between hard ball & soft ball stage is, or get yourself a very good candy thermometer. That, and be patient and don't get distracted...keep an eye on the cooking.

Like I said, I've made these several times, and they always came out perfect:

Microwave Pralines

1 stick butter (must use real butter or it won't work)
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons of white Karo syrup
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups of pecans--kind of chopped, but more like broken up a bit
    2 teaspoons vanilla

In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.

Add everything but the pecans and vanilla and bring to a boil in the microwave. (Time depends on your microwave. Watch it carefully.)

Remove the bowl after the mixture starts to boil, and stir it. Then put it back in the microwave and cook on high, stopping it to stir occasionally. Keep going on high until you get to soft ball stage (a soft ball is formed when dropped into cool water). The recipe I have says 10-12 minutes, but it can take up to 20, depending on your microwave. You've just got to be vigilant. You'll notice that the mixture becomes more opaque and thickens as time goes on. That's when it's getting to the soft ball stage.

Once you're at soft ball, add the vanilla and pecans and stir until thickened.

Drop tablespoons full onto waxed paper that's on top of newspaper.

Good luck!

Closed Thread