Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    ok I got a package from a fancy italian resteraunt from my aunt. There is fetuccini noodles, rigoti, marinara ssauce?? and spagetti sauce. what do I do with the marinara????????? ( Oh, and chianti and extra virgin garlic olive oil

You can serve the marinara on pasta as it is, or add meat to it for a pasta sauce. It's the same as the sauce for chicken cacciatore and stuff like that too.

Easy Chicken Cacciatore

1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
    1 (15-ounce) container Marinara Sauce
    1/2 cup water
    2 cups hot cooked rice
    HEAT oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned.
    ADD sauce and water to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in cooked rice.
    Makes 4 servings.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Oh, my gosh. Thanks, Queen b! I felt like such a dummy! I was thinking of making some of the fettucini with filleted pork chops tonight for dinner and maybe putting the marinera on the pasta but wasn't sure if that was right.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    It's on post #452 in this thread.
    Thanks you so much Queenb! I love this thread. Everyone has such wonderful ideas and recipes.

Did anyone ever put a FORT recipe book together?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fan
    Tomorrow I am putting a roast in the crockpot to make french dips in the evening. Should I braise the meat first, or just throw it in there? I will be adding broth, onion soup and consomme as well.
    Tonight I am going to try my hand at toffee...wish me luck...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Tomorrow I am putting a roast in the crockpot to make french dips in the evening. Should I braise the meat first, or just throw it in there? I will be adding broth, onion soup and consommé as well.
    Tonight I am going to try my hand at toffee...wish me luck...
    Most definitely, braise the meat first, stinkerbell. Brown it in butter with some chopped onions or garlic, or both, and after it's nicely brown, transfer the entire mixture to the crock pot and add your other bits & bobs to make the French Dip.

Good Luck! It sounds yummy and I'm already salivating over your dinner!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Most definitely, braise the meat first, stinkerbell. Brown it in butter with some chopped onions or garlic, or both, and after it's nicely brown, transfer the entire mixture to the crock pot and add your other bits & bobs to make the French Dip.

Good Luck! It sounds yummy and I'm already salivating over your dinner!
    Thank you! Thank you! I got the recipe from way back at the beginning of this thread, but it didn't say to do it.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I'm making Toll House Cookie Pie for my hubby for Christmas Day - thought I would share. It's SIMPLE and delicious warm with ice cream.

2 eggs
    1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
    3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
    1 c. walnuts, chopped
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 c.) Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1 (9-inch) pie shell (unbaked)
    Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large mixer bowl, beat eggs at high speed until foamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in flour, sugar and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in softened butter. Stir in walnuts and Nestle Toll House semi- sweet chocolate morsels. Pour into pie shell.
    Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean, and top is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

If using frozen pie shell, use deep-dish style, thaw completely. Place on cookie sheet; increase baking time by 10 minutes.

I saw that someone was looking for a Spinach Dip a few pages back and I've got one that's a little different from the ones already posted, so here goes--

SPINACH DIP

1 8 OZ. package of cream cheese-room temperature
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    A pinch of dry dill
    salt to taste
    1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry

Combine cream cheese and sour cream, and blend well. Stir in mayonnaise and soup mix. Add seasonings, then stir in spinach. Then cut a round loaf of whatever kind of bread you like in half, scoop out the bread of the bottom half, butter it, and use as a shell for the dip.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    I've been doing the recipe you find on the Knorr Vegetable Soup box. I googled it, and someone wrote up the recipe :

I've always made it with light mayonaise and light sour cream, and it's delicious. I've also used a sourdough round loaf because we get the killer ones out here (San Francisco Bay Area).

Also, meant to say - that salsa recipe looks fabulous, PhoneGrrl! I lived in Mexico for a semester and we made salsa every day. All we did was de-seed the peppers (whatever variety we had around), boil them, then blend them up with a little of the liquid. Now that was some spankin' hot salsa. Beware, though - we had a blender dedicated to salsa making. You can't wash the spice completely out so it's ruined for any other use.
    When I went on vacation to Mexico, we went to some real 3rd world hole in the wall restaurants in Playa del Carmen and what I noticed was that no matter where we went, the salsa was like Phonegrrl's recipe, not like the salsa that I buy at the supermarket.

And Hepcat, OMG, you just reminded me how amazing and incredible the sourdough bread is in San Francisco and it's been so many years since I've had it. I managed to find a place near home that has pretty decent sourdough bread, but nothing, I mean NOTHING, compares to San Francisco sourdough bread and now I HAVE TO HAVE SOME. It's been too many years as it is, and I can't go through life anymore without San Francisco sourdough bread. Is there any way that I can order some from somewhere? And could you maybe find me a place? Pretty please?!??!!??

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Sweet Baked Snowflake

Ingredients:
    Tortillas
    Canola or vegetable oil for baking
    Confectioners' sugar
    Edible glitter (optional)

Description:
    Step 1: Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Warm the tortillas (about 15 seconds) in the microwave.

Step 2: Individually fold the tortillas in half once and then in half again, so that you end up with a shape that resembles a wedge of pie (it will be thick).

Step 3: Using clean scissors, cut triangles, circles, or squares out of the edges, as if you were making paper snowflakes. Unfold the tortillas.

Step 4: Lightly brush the tops of the snowflakes with canola or vegetable oil and place them on a cookie sheet slightly apart. Bake them until lightly browned and crisp (about 4 minutes). Sift confectioners sugar on the snowflakes while warm. For an extrasparkly effect, you can sprinkle on a bit of edible glitter. Makes 6.

Found this on the bellsouth.net website...haven't tried it but it looked really pretty....may be a little late for Christmas but still would be pretty for winter....

Closed Thread