Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Sounds yummy, I'll give it a try. I noticed they say to butter the inside of the loaf. Is there a reason for that, aside from taste?

FORT Fan
    Thanks PhoneGrrrl for the salsa recipe. Sounds exactly like what I was looking for.
    Now I'll post my favorite recipe.

Hot spinach dip

2 Cans Rotel salsa- Mexican Fiesta
    8 oz. cream cheese
    8 to 12 oz. velveeta (your preference- I use 12 oz.)
    10 oz. spinach, drained and squeezed out
    minced garlic to taste (I use about 3 - 4 tsp.)
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat salsa and cream cheese in pot on medium until cream cheese is almost all melted. Add velveeta in cubes and heat on medium until cheeses are melted. Add spinach and spices and heat thoroughly.
    Serve with tortilla chips or crackers or whatever you want. (as a bread dip works well)
    You can also do this in the microwave, but it's easier on the stove and doesn't take much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    Sounds yummy, I'll give it a try. I noticed they say to butter the inside of the loaf. Is there a reason for that, aside from taste?
    It keeps the loaf from getting too soggy. It makes an effective barrier (oil & water don't mix, etc.) and it really works.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    It keeps the loaf from getting too soggy. It makes an effective barrier (oil & water don't mix, etc.) and it really works.
    Thanks Hepcat. It makes sense.

If I am trying to cook homemade cookies for the 2nd time in my life and the recipe says butter and I bought country crock margarine, will that work alright? Sorry if I sound really stupid but cooking is NOT my thing.

Fort Member
    Should work just fine PGM35

PGM35 you can use tub spreads or margarine, but you won't have the same quality of taste that you get with butter, and your cookies will most likely spread out when they bake. Not a tragedy, though!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    If I am trying to cook homemade cookies for the 2nd time in my life and the recipe says butter and I bought country crock margarine, will that work alright? Sorry if I sound really stupid but cooking is NOT my thing.
    PGM35: there should be an ingredients list on the side of your Country Crock. It MUST contain at least 80% vegetable oil or 100 calories per tablespoon.

If not, you will have too high a water content and you can get tough cookies that spread excessively, stick to the pan/sheet, or don't brown easily.

With cookie baking, the Number One mistake is to NOT use the right fat, usually butter. Don't waste your time and money if you have the wrong thing; just go back to the store and buy some butter or proper margarine so that you can shine in the kitchen with your results.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

It's 60 % I didn't see your post but saw Lucynda and Texi's and went ahead and started. I am taking a break from mixing so it's too late. I will let everyone know how they turn out!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    If it were me, I'd go back and get the regular sticks. I'm assuming you're referring to "Shedd's Spread Country Crock" ? If I'm right, you will get very flat, weird cookies, or just a mess.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Closed Thread