Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Thank you Mariner for the recipe. I'm gonna try them soon.

Hey all I did is dig up the original post. All thanks should go to Rose aka roseskid's mother. You all feel free to send me a batch or two of Lemon Whippersnappers as thanks though.

singing w/Clay asked: "Good Morning all!

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I coulda sworn there was a cooking/food area in the FORT somewhere, but I cant find it now.

My question to you is this:

Can you substitute lard for butter in shortbread recipes?

And- is it better to use cornstarch with the flour or just flour?
    ( I had never heard of putting cornstarch in, but then I've only made shortbread once )

Thanks!"

I've made shortbread for the past 40+ years, so I guess I'm qualified to answer the questions you asked.

1) Can you substitute lard for butter? No matter which recipe that I've seen, I've never, ever seen lard used in place of butter. I use lard for many baking things: pie crusts and ethnic cookies and the results are wonderful, but I'm wondering if lard would be too 'heavy' for shortbread and wouldn't give you the flakiness that you require.

2) And- is it better to use cornstarch with the flour or just flour?

Again, no recipe I've ever seen written had corn starch listed with flour; now, RICE flour can be added, to provide an even crispier shortbread, but not cornstarch. Besides, the ratio of cornstarch to flour is different, when used in recipes.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks Lambikins!
    The recipe with the cornstarch is on the back of the cornstarch box. Its called 'Grandma's Shortbread', and the ratio is 1/2 cup cornstarch to 1 cup flour.
    Maybe I wont risk it.
    I have two pounds of lard in my fridge from last August and was hopeing I could use them up. oh well..........

Quote Originally Posted by singing w/ Clay View Post
    Thanks Lambikins!
    The recipe with the cornstarch is on the back of the cornstarch box. Its called 'Grandma's Shortbread', and the ratio is 1/2 cup cornstarch to 1 cup flour.
    Maybe I wont risk it.
    I have two pounds of lard in my fridge from last August and was hopeing I could use them up. oh well..........
    Well, singing w/Clay, I'm tossed regarding the cornstarch. If it actually came from the back of a box, the company's reputation is riding on it, so if you want to give it a "go", I'd say "have at it!"

Regarding the lard, I have over 31 Christmas Cookie magazines, dating back to 1991 and having just reviewed them all a couple of nights ago, I can only recall one or two recipes requiring lard, and that was in Mexican cookies, where lard is still used liberally. Having grown up on lard, myself, I know that it's just contemporary prejudice that precludes people from cooking with it; it's viewed as "too country and poverty" for most people. That's why when I bake with it, I NEVER tell the eater that they are eating pie crust with lard.

I googled LARD recipes for you and this is the ONLY one that came up that wasn't a joke! Some of them, the sillier ones, had you use "300 eggs, 100 Tablespoons of dog/cat hair...." Even on the web, lard "can't get no respect!"

Here's the lard information, but, I also want to say that in my experience, lard, like butter, can absorb EVERY single odor that a fridge has!!! That means that if you've had the lard since August, I'd check it first to make sure that it hasn't taken on the taste of your last 100 meals!
    A history of lard
    Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lard is an animal fat produced from the fatty or otherwise unusable parts of pig carcasses. It is used for cooking, commonly used in British, German, Polish, Mexican, and Norwegian cuisines. Pure lard is especially useful for cooking since it produces very little smoke when heated. Toward the late 20th century lard began to be regarded as less healthy than vegetable oils such as olive and sunflower.

Lard was widely used as a butter substitute during World War II when butter was unavailable. As a waste product of pork production, lard has historically been cheaper than vegetable oils and thus featured prominently in the diet of poor people until the industrial revolution made vegetable oils more affordable. Rendered lard has also been used to produce soap.

The highest grade of lard, known as ‘leaf lard’, is obtained from the leaf fat that surrounds the kidneys. The lowest grade is obtained from around the small intestines.

In every 100 grams of Lard there is:

900 Calories
    39g Saturated fat
    95mg Cholesterol
    45g Monounsaturated fatty acids
    11g Polyunsaturated fatty acids
    0.6mg Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
    0.1mg Zinc
    0.2mg Selenium
    Lard Cookies recipe
    Use the recipe below and the goodness of lard to make 2 dozen delicious Lard Cookies.

Ingredients
    • 1 cup lard
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp nutmeg
    • 1 heaping tsp baking powder
    • 3 cups flour (or enough flour to make a soft dough that will hold together for rolling)

Instructions
    1. Melt lard; then cool until lukewarm.
    2. Sift all dry ingredients together.
    3. Add lard to dry ingredients.
    4. Add buttermilk.
    5. Mix well.
    6. Roll dough to 1cm thickness on floured board.
    7. Cut large round cookies.
    8. Cook until brown, about 12 minutes.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Fan
    I don't have time to go back 80 some pages to see if anyone has posted this, but does anyone have an awesome (but easy) salsa recipe? Thanks!

Oh Lambikins!
    I dont know whats worse, the possibility of meat/cheese/onion flavored lard shortbread cookies, or the use of the actual lard itself
    I think the lard will take a trip to the garbage can.
    Thank you for all your help! What a kind and thoughtful person you are

.....Although, if its the good leaf lard and not the small intestinal lard...........

I just made a batch of sweet and sour meatballs for a party tomorrow and I can't keep my husband out of the pot! I tried a different recipe I found in my Nana's old recipe box. It is well splattered and loved and it is so much better than the other recipe I used. For this one, it called for kathup with chili powder, grape jelly, soy sauce, lemon juice and brown sugar. It makes the most beautiful glaze and as my hubby can tell you, is pretty addictive.!

Ok tickerrose, you can't rave about a recipe here unless you are willing to post it! . How about it? I've never heard of one using grape jelly! Sounds yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Ok tickerrose, you can't rave about a recipe here unless you are willing to post it! . How about it? I've never heard of one using grape jelly! Sounds yummy.
    misskitty: I don't know where tickerrose got her recipe, but mine, which was a Betty Crocker recipe from the 60's has been filling tummy's for the past 45 years! pickerrose: please post YOURS, too!

You can either use ready made meatballs or your own special recipe. I put the frozen meatballs into a crockpot on HIGH, pour in the sauce and cook it for 4 hours. Just set up toothpicks next to the crock pot and be careful....someone just may try to lick the pot!

Grape Jelly and Chili Meatballs

1 (16 ounce) bag of the appetizer frozen meatballs
    1 (10 ounce) jar grape jelly
    1 (13 ounce) bottle for Heinz Chili Sauce (you can find this by the ketchup)
    1 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce or Soy Sauce

1) Dump all ingredients into a Crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.

singing w/Clay: You're so welcome for the help! If there's one thing I've learned at FoRT, it's that help is "one mouse click away!" I learned, the HARD way, about the massively absorbent nature of lard, more so than even butter! I made a delicate peach pie with my usual lard crust and served it first (thank God!) to Sally, my partner. She kept making unusual faces so I finally asked her, "What's up?!" She politely asked if I had put chili powder into the pie and I 'hfffed', "Of course not!" She then politely said, "Well, something in here tastes like chili."

Ooops! I had stored chili in the frig over a week ago and the lard sucked the odor right up! The peach pie promptly went into the trash!

So, things learned:
    1) Keep lard fresh or frozen until you REALLY need it, and
    2) Lard works better than Baking Soda in keeping odors out of a frig!

Closed Thread