Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
    lambikins - I love Shepard's Pie. My mom always made that growing up.
    applesauce: I don't know if your 'loving' Shepard's Pie was a request for my recipe or not, but I've currently got the time to post it now, so I'm going ahead.

This is NOT your typical Shepard's Pie (not that there's anything wrong with that! ) As I said earlier, I did not want to serve guests anything that looked like leftovers or smacked of "Mystery Meat Helper". So, I pawed through the spice/condiment shelf and came up with this one. Use the vegetables that you know people will enjoy; my friends are fiends for vegetables so they can appreciate turnips, parsnips and such. I always have a one pound bag of each of these veggies in the frig at all times, so the cost of this dish is very low; however, if you don't normally have root vegetables on hand, see if you can buy them individually.

ELEGANT SHEPARD'S PIE

2-Pounds of Ground Beef (I've used ground sirloin but plain beef is tastier)
    2-Spanish Onions, minced
    2-Stalks of Celery, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1-Pound Portabello mushrooms, cut into chunks
    1-Bag of Frozen Corn (large if you like corn, small if you don't)
    1-Cup of Sliced Carrots
    1-Cup of Sliced Parsnips
    1-Cup of Diced Turnips
    5-Cloves of Garlic, minced
    1-Sprig each of Fresh Rosemary and Thyme (fresh is so important!) 6" pieces
    2-Tablespoons of Butter
    1/2-Cup of Flour
    1-6 ounce Can of Condatina Tomato Paste
    3-4 Tablespoons EACH of Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce
    1/4-1/2 Cup of GOOD Red Wine
    1-Can (10.5 ounce can of Progresso French Onion Soup)
    8-10 Cups of Mashed Potatoes (from scratch or package)
    1-Tablespoon Melted Butter
    1-Tablespoon of Paprika

1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 13" x 10" pan ready. (I use Pyrex)

2) In a large 12" skillet, add 2 Tablespoons of butter and sauté until soft: garlic, onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, carrots, turnips and parsnips. Covering pan will help soften veggies sooner.

3) Add ground beef, Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Herb Sprigs and Tomato Paste. When beef is browned, add 1/2 cup of flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. REMOVE HERB SPRIGS AND TOSS.

4) Add can of French Onion Soup and wine; bring to boil. Shut off heat and pour mixture into the 13" x 10" pan.

5) Piping the mashed potatoes on top works better than just dropping them, but do what is easiest for YOU to place the 8-10 cups of potatoes on top of the meat mixture. Brush with the 1 Tablespoon of Melted Butter and sprinkle with paprika. (You can freeze this at this point and haul it out when you want a good hearty meal. Individual cooked portions also freeze very well.)

6) Bake for 30 minutes or until top of potatoes begin to brown.

(Note: Some people insist on putting cheese on everything! My British partner is very turned off by this U.S. custom so I don't add cheese to the top. You can, though, if your crowd are 'Cheese-Heads', although I can't vouch for what it tastes like.)
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

mmmmm...that looks so good. Perfect for a cold winter day. I will definitely cook this up. Thanks!

[QUOTE=lambikins;1704541]applesauce: I don't know if your 'loving' Shepard's Pie was a request for my recipe or not, but I've currently got the time to post it now, so I'm going ahead.

This is NOT your typical Shepard's Pie (not that there's anything wrong with that! ) As I said earlier, I did not want to serve guests anything that looked like leftovers or smacked of "Mystery Meat Helper". So, I pawed through the spice/condiment shelf and came up with this one. Use the vegetables that you know people will enjoy; my friends are fiends for vegetables so they can appreciate turnips, parsnips and such. I always have a one pound bag of each of these veggies in the frig at all times, so the cost of this dish is very low; however, if you don't normally have root vegetables on hand, see if you can buy them individually.

ELEGANT SHEPARD'S PIE

2-Pounds of Ground Beef (I've used ground sirloin but plain beef is tastier)
    2-Spanish Onions, minced
    2-Stalks of Celery, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1-Pound Portabello mushrooms, cut into chunks
    1-Bag of Frozen Corn (large if you like corn, small if you don't)
    1-Cup of Sliced Carrots
    1-Cup of Sliced Parsnips
    1-Cup of Diced Turnips
    5-Cloves of Garlic, minced
    1-Sprig each of Fresh Rosemary and Thyme (fresh is so important!) 6" pieces
    2-Tablespoons of Butter
    1/2-Cup of Flour
    1-6 ounce Can of Condatina Tomato Paste
    3-4 Tablespoons EACH of Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce
    1/4-1/2 Cup of GOOD Red Wine
    1-Can (10.5 ounce can of Progresso French Onion Soup)
    8-10 Cups of Mashed Potatoes (from scratch or package)
    1-Tablespoon Melted Butter
    1-Tablespoon of Paprika

Wow, this sounds amazing. I grew up with a very simple version of this dish. All we used was the ground beef, creamed and regular corn and the mashed potatoes. I will have to try this though. A much more sophisticated take on an old time favorite. I am so excited!

Quote Originally Posted by tickerrose View Post
    ELEGANT SHEPARD'S PIE

Wow, this sounds amazing. I grew up with a very simple version of this dish. All we used was the ground beef, creamed and regular corn and the mashed potatoes. I will have to try this though. A much more sophisticated take on an old time favorite. I am so excited!
    I really hope you try this, tickerrose and others. I also grew up with Shepard's Pie, as did my partner, Sally, and you're absolutely right: no matter how many recipes you look at, it's basically ground beef, corn or carrots and instant potatoes, dumped into a baking pan. It's a dish that was originally designed to get rid of leftovers from Sunday Dinner, because the original Shepard's Pie used up the bits of roast beef, veggies and potatoes from that meal.

I created the above recipe for three reasons:

1) I had all the ingredients on hand from making a Sunday roast and several pots of various soups, and wanted to get rid of the spare parsnip and turnip and the fresh herbs.

2) I had my best friend coming over to our house for the first time and I wanted a hearty, welcoming dinner to fill us both up for a night of Christmas shopping at 18 degree temperatures.

3) Lastly, it was a Science Experiment for our roommate, Michele, who grew up on Fast Food as a child and "claims" to "despise ALL vegetables except potatoes (fried) and corn!" Michele was also invited to the dinner I had, so she'd have to try this.

As it turned out, Michele went bonkers for the dinner, eating every vegetable in sight, including ones she couldn't pronounce or identify if her life depended on it, and ate two servings, worthy of a Long Shore-man!

Veggies are so darn cheap and last so long, that including them in the dish is a 'no brainer'. The fresh herbs and wine are an indulgence, to be sure, but if you have an open bottle of wine and use fresh herbs in other cooking, they also are just hanging around the kitchen, ready to be used.

By the way, the potatoes I used were parsnip/turnip/potatoes which were all mashed together, increasing the flavour that hit your mouth; I had a vat of them left over from Sunday dinner. I wouldn't recommend making potatoes from scratch unless you're a purist or have leftovers, simply because of the time factor. NONE of the veggies I used were peeled, just scrubbed, so that also cut down on the time and waste, dramatically. If you use young enough produce, you don't have to deal with tough peels.

If anyone wants the recipe for the mashed parsnip/turnip/potatoes, I will post that one, too.

Bon Appetit!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Lambi:

This looks awesome and since I am expecting a houseful of visitors next week, I will definitely try this recipe. However, I can't get turnips or parsnips down here, so do you have any suggestions? Also, no canned soups, but I do have dry french onion soup mix.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    Lambi:

This looks awesome and since I am expecting a houseful of visitors next week, I will definitely try this recipe. However, I can't get turnips or parsnips down here, so do you have any suggestions? Also, no canned soups, but I do have dry french onion soup mix.
    canuckinchile: Make the French Onion Soup mix at least a day in advance and add a Tablespoon of melted butter to it, so the flavours have a chance to meld together. The butter acts as a fat-binder to increase the flavour of the soup.

Regarding the veggies: Do you have access to jicama and sweet potatoes or yams??? I'd use those to replace the lack of turnips and parsnips. However, PEEL both the jicama and sweet potatoes because BOTH of them can have tough skins, no matter HOW youthful the tubers maybe.

P.S. Regarding getting the potatoes to sit nicely on top of the meat/veggie mixture: I had gallon-sized Ziplock bags, cut a corner off of one of them, and piped the potatoes onto the top, in a criss-cross fashion. Or, you can drop spoonfuls of them on top. The one thing you can't do is attempt to spread the potatoes onto the mixture: they slide around as if dropped onto Teflon!

Let me know how this turns out!

This New Year's Eve will be a quiet family affair of 6-8. I've decided to have it at my house and was wondering what you usually cook for New Year's eve. We usually have Italian fare, but I'd like to try something more traditional (american, canadian). Do you have any suggestions for appetizers, entrées or main dishes? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    This New Year's Eve will be a quiet family affair of 6-8. I've decided to have it at my house and was wondering what you usually cook for New Year's eve. We usually have Italian fare, but I'd like to try something more traditional (american, canadian). Do you have any suggestions for appetizers, entrées or main dishes? Thank you.
    I love these biscuits and they can make a nice change from bread with a meal. I also make up a batch on them when we go on a road trip so we have something to snack on. Actually, the variation I tend to make now uses chopped jalapeno peppers and Balderson' Three-Year Old Cheddar (it's really important to use a good quality aged cheddar for these) instead of the rosemary and feta. Also, I use more (lots more) than the indicated 1 cup of cheese - can't get enough cheese I always say, though my hips would disagree.

BISCUITS

2 cups flour
    3 tsps baking power
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ cup butter
    2 eggs
    ½ cup milk
    ½ cup rosemary
    1 cup feta cheese

Combine dry ingredients (including rosemary). Cut in butter. Make a well in the centre of the mix, beat in eggs and milk. Mix in crumbled up feta.

Roll out onto a floured surface and dust with a bit more flour. Fold and refold, and roll out again – do this a few times – it makes the biscuits more flaky. Finish up with the dough about ½” thick. Use a glass or a cookie cutter to cut out biscuits and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes, or for about 7 minutes and under the broiler for a minute to brown
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I got this recipe sent to me from my subscription to Betty Crocker meals and being that we're being buried under 6-12" of snow tonight, I decided to give it a try.

Oh. My. God!

It was as easy-peasy as you can ask for; we had leftover turkey from Thanksgiving so it was cheap, too. It serves 6, but really....the three of us had two servings apiece so tonight, it served three!

Easy Cheesy Potato Chowder

Leftover chicken or turkey never had it so good! You can quickly turn it into this hearty and quick cheesy chowder.

1 package Hamburger Helper® Beef & potatoes au gratin

1 can (11 ounces) Green Giant® Mexicorn® whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, undrained

2 cups water

3 cups milk (I ended up using 5 cups of milk; it was too thick for us, otherwise)

2 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey (10 ounces)

1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)

1. Heat uncooked Potatoes, Sauce Mix, Topping packet, Corn, Water, Milk and Chicken/Turkey to boiling in Dutch oven, stirring constantly; reduce heat.

2. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Stir in cheese; heat until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

Thanks lambi...will let you know how it turns out. There are lots of sweet potatoes and yams...and other gourd-like veggies. It is kind of weird, but the only root veggie we get here are beets! Thanks again, I am always happy to see when you have posted!!

Closed Thread