Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

I wanted to say thanks again, Snowflake Girl, for posting that last recipe... I made the muffins and they are so good, plus the recipe made plenty to share!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I need something really good to bring to my work Christmas Party this Friday. I am a pretty good cook and enjoy the process but am completely blocked on what I should bring. I have a co-worker who is bringing a bunch of desserts, one who is bringing a bunch of side dishes (breads, deviled eggs and meatballs) and another who is bringing the chips, dip, soda and raw veggies. So that leaves me and my boss to split the "main meal" kind of stuff. I have to impress my boss, obviously, and don't know what to make that will feed a crowd and be really good. I don't want to be to fancy and get a bunch of "ewww what are these"s Yet I don't want to be "sigh" ordinary.
    You see my ordeal hear. Someone please help with some sure fire crowd pleasers....please

tickerrose, this might be a bit tedious, but a few years ago when I was in a similar situation, I made one veggie lasagna and one meat lasagna. I prepared them both at once so it wasn't too time consuming. I cooked them the night before and on the day of the party I just had to heat them up.

I have a question: Does anyone have a "recipe" for cleaning a very burnt All Clad saucepan. Yesterday, I was cooking some brown rice for dinner and got completely sidetracked by helping my kids make Christmas ornaments. Then my neighbor came over and we talked for about half an hour. After that, I sat down with the computer for a while. My daughter came up and asked me if I was making popcorn. The kitchen smelled like popcorn and the rice was so burnt it was popping. What I have always loved about my All Clad is that they clean up so well even if they get burnt. This time we are talking extremely black. I've tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

Oh I love my All-Clad almost more than life itself. While it smells aweful I believe you can use vinager and put it on the stove. It will usually get any hard burn out. But I warn you the smell is not pretty.
    The nice thing about all-clad is that it can stand up to about pretty much anything. Brillo didn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I wanted to say thanks again, Snowflake Girl, for posting that last recipe... I made the muffins and they are so good, plus the recipe made plenty to share!
    No problem, QueenB, I'm glad you enjoyed them!

It's Christmas cookie time! Hey, I have a question. Someone gave me a bunch of crystallized ginger I have no idea what to do with. Does anyone have any easy cookie or baked goodness type recipes that use that ingredient? I'd hate for it all to go to waste.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    It's Christmas cookie time! Hey, I have a question. Someone gave me a bunch of crystallized ginger I have no idea what to do with. Does anyone have any easy cookie or baked goodness type recipes that use that ingredient?
    Lambikins - are you there? She has the BEST recipes, and I too am waiting to see what she pulls out of that pretty head of hers for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by tickerrose View Post
    I need something really good to bring to my work Christmas Party this Friday. I am a pretty good cook and enjoy the process but am completely blocked on what I should bring. I have a co-worker who is bringing a bunch of desserts, one who is bringing a bunch of side dishes (breads, deviled eggs and meatballs) and another who is bringing the chips, dip, soda and raw veggies. So that leaves me and my boss to split the "main meal" kind of stuff. I have to impress my boss, obviously, and don't know what to make that will feed a crowd and be really good. I don't want to be to fancy and get a bunch of "ewww what are these"s Yet I don't want to be "sigh" ordinary.
    You see my ordeal hear. Someone please help with some sure fire crowd pleasers....please
    Don't have a recipe but how about some type of King Ranch Chicken - use corn tortillas, chicken, cream of mushroom soup, etc. I always like casserole type main dishes. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    Lambikins - are you there? She has the BEST recipes, and I too am waiting to see what she pulls out of that pretty head of hers for this one.
    Aw-w-w-w, Ana Bannana, thank you for the compliment! (As another poster noted, they aren't receiving ANY notice of new posts, and the same has been true for me, so I hadn't a clue that any activity was happening in the RECIPE thread )

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake Girl

It's Christmas cookie time! Hey, I have a question. Someone gave me a bunch of crystallized ginger I have no idea what to do with. Does anyone have any easy cookie or baked goodness type recipes that use that ingredient? I'd hate for it all to go to waste.
    Snowy: I used crystalized ginger in Mariner's Gingersnap Cookie recipe with incredible results. You can also use the crystalized ginger in gingerbread; it's stunning! Cut the pieces to the size of raisins and roll them in sugar so they don't stick to the bowl.

Here's Mariner's Recipe from page #27, post #536:

"My grandmother made wonderful gingersnaps. These aren't the sugary, fat kind or the hard as brick kind. If they turn out right, they should be thin and chewy with a little bit of a bite. She actually used to bake them on an upside down old fashioned cookie sheet. Airbake cookie sheets work just as well.

Mimi's Gingersnaps

1 cup margarine
    2 cups brown sugar (1 box minus 1/3 cup)
    1 egg beaten
    1 cup Brier Rabbit Gold Label Molasses

Mix together and beat until fluffy.

Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Add the following:

4 cups sifted flour (or 3 3/4 cups unsifted)
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp ginger

The dough should be soft but not sticky. Place in covered bowl in refrigerator for at least a few hours.

Roll into balls and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet at 325 for 8 to 10 minutes."
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Not meaning to double post, but I wanted this answer separate from the Gingersnap Cookie recipe, above.

tickerrose: A crowd recipe that I make with accolades from the diners is Shepard's Pie: basically a ground beef (or lamb or pork) dish with veggies and topped with a mashed potato topper. It's brainless to create and cheap, too, and people gobble this up like there's NO tomorrow!

I've created my own recipe, after countless research, and if you'd like it (or anyone else, for that matter) just ask me. The original recipes were too plain and I wanted a Shepard's pie that was more "upscale" that didn't smack of "leftover's". I've served it twice, so far, this Fall; both times at dinner parties and it was fancy enough to impress everyone. Plus, any leftovers freeze exceptionally well.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Oh I love my All-Clad almost more than life itself. While it smells aweful I believe you can use vinager and put it on the stove. It will usually get any hard burn out. But I warn you the smell is not pretty.
    The nice thing about all-clad is that it can stand up to about pretty much anything. Brillo didn't work?

tickerrose- Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! About 90% of it came off and the rest should come loose with a bit of elbow grease. And yes, the whole house smelled.

lambikins - I love Shepard's Pie. My mom always made that growing up.

Closed Thread