Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

I was doing a Tiramisł for some friends tonight and I thought I could share this recipe that my mom and I have been doing for years to rave reviews.

TIRAMISŁ

5 large eggs
    1 cup of sugar
    500 gr. of mascarpone (Galdoni or Polenghi)
    1 cup of espresso coffee
    1 or 2 tablespoons of tia maria or other coffee liqueur
    1 pack of savoiardi ladyfingers

Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
    In one bowl, beat the whites until they form peaks.
    In other bowl, beat egg yolks, add the sugar slowly, then add the mascarpone. Mix well.
    Add half the egg whites and mix at low speed until well incorporated. Fold the rest of the whites into the mixture.
    Pour the Tia maria in the espresso and dip the ladyfingers in it. Line the ladyfingers in a glass container. Spread half of the mascarpone mix on top. Line another row of espresso-dipped ladyfingers, then top with the rest of the mascarpone mix. Top the dessert with powered cacao or grated chocolate.
    Cover and let rest for a few hours in the fridge (best if done the day before).

Two little tips that make a big difference:
    1) If they sell Tre Stelle Tiramisł in the States, please do not buy it unless you want your Tiramisł to be very liquidy. The ones I listed are those I used and liked. There might be others that are good, but I don't know which.
    2) Dip the ladyfingers in the espresso one at a time and very quickly. The longer they stay in the coffee, the soggier they'll be.
    3) I found the longer you beat the egg yolk mixture before adding the egg whites, the fluffier and lighter the cake will be.

Mmmm, that's sounds really good! I've never made tiramisu but I may try this. It sounds easy and alot simpler than the recipe I have. I love anything with mascarpone!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

mmm. Love Tiramisu!

Tonight I am cooking up some pumpkin bread. I use a recipe that my mom has used FOREVER. As I was preparing it my son asked my why I eat pumpkin bread if it has so much sugar. I told him because this is the way grandma makes it and it's a tradition. Here is the recipe...it truly is tasty and turns out perfect every time!

3 cups pumpkin (from a can)
    5 cups flour
    4 cups sugar
    1 cup oil
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground cloves
    4 tsp baking soda

Put everything into a really big bowl and mix it all together.

This makes 3 loaves when cooked in old coffee cans. Fill the cans just a tad over halfway. Don't overfill or it will make a mess in your oven. Bake at 400 for 70 minutes. Be sure to spray the inside of the cans for easy removal.

The top gets all big and crusty and the bottom portion cuts into perfect circle slices. I always eat mine with a little bit of butter on it.

What delicious sounding recipes! I will definitely be printing some of these out tonight. Thanks so much for sharing, and when I get a chance I'll look to see what recipes in my little repertoire I haven't already posted for you.

I have a question that I thought I'd pose to you expert cooks. How on earth do you chop onions without crying? I was making potato leek soup today, which requires a couple of onions, and I looked a complete mess afterwards, like I just found out someone ran over my pet dog. My eyes also tend to sting and stay irritated for a good few hours later too. Any advice would be great, thanks!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Snowy!

Something that helps with the onion chopping is to peel the dry layer off, then rinse the onion well before you cut it further. If you cut it in half before you cut it small, you can rinse it again. It doesn't get rid of the fumes entirely, but I find it helps.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I find that every time I use up a half onion that's been refrigerated for a day or so, I don't cry...so maybe it's all about letting a cut onion sit around a while before chopping it up all the way?
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Premium Member
    Oh geez, Snowy. I was reading kind of fast and I thought someone really ran over your pet dog. Glad it was just the onions.

Here is some more info that I found - I don't know if I believe all of it. I wear glasses and it makes no difference. I have also tried the lighted candle and that didn't work either. If I stick my tongue out it just makes me look stupid while I cry. I think rinsing them or cutting them under running water works the best. If my eyes are still burning afterwards it helps to take a wet washcloth and hold over them for a few minutes.

Science explains...
    Onion cells contain highly volatile sulphur compounds that are released into the air when you slice into them. Your eyes produce tears because your body wants to wash or dilute the chemicals before they affect your eyes. Tears are a natural way for the body to wash the offensive chemicals away.

All these methods are a way of reducing this effect:

goggles create a physical barrier between the compounds and your eyes
    refrigerating an onion before chopping minimises the release of its toxic gas
    chewing parsley oxidizes the sulphur compounds, rendering them harmless

Another method involves placing a lighted candle near the chopping block. Like parsley, this also oxidizes the sulphur compounds, changing their composition so that they no longer cause crying

Or you can try sticking your tongue out whilst cutting your onions - the moisture on your tongue soaks up the airborn chemicals before they reach your eyes.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopi...cheftips.shtml

Snowy, you poor thing!

I had to chop a few onions today. What I do is place a chopping board securely over 2 burners (turned off of course) on the stove. I then turn on a burner across from the chopping board. The heat from the flame completely keeps my eyes from burning while I chop. Just make sure you keep plenty of room between the chopping board and the flame. It really does work...at least it does for me!

FORT Regular
    freeze the gravy and then scrape the fat off... sorry, I don't do much cooking for the big holidays.

I got one I got one

Cassarole
    1lb ground beef
    1/2 box of noodles enough to fill a cassarole dish
    szechwuan sauce
    greated jack cheese

Brown ground beef drain and add sauce not too much to make your nose run.
    Make noodles drain and add ground beef and noodles. Then sprinkle cheese and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and brown at the edges.

Enjoy yum yum.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

Closed Thread