Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Broadway - thanks for the dip recipe! I will try it for sure.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Well, Marleybone, I've just thrown out all my old spices from November 2004 and bought new ones for 2005.
    This summer I took a few short trips with my husband, and I stopped at Penzey's stores in Des Moines and Kansas City. I am well stocked on spices now. It was so much more fun shopping in an actual store, they had lots of "sniffy jars" out so you could smell the spices. Yum.

My new favorites from them are Smoked Spanish Paprika, Chicago Steak Seasoning and plain old Onion Salt.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Thanks Marley, that sounded so good, I visited their website and loved it. I'm ordering for sure, the Baker's Assortment and a couple more. Great as gifts too!
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    Thank a bunch, lildago! I figured someone around here had that recipe close at hand-- there's so many weird new ones online that I was about to give up.
    And I should be venting in the pet peeve thread because that's a big one with me. I hate it when I'm looking for a simple recipe and the only ones I can find have 20 ingredients and off-the-wall additions. Sometimes simple really is best, especially when you have half an hour to make dinner and you haven't been to the grocery store in a week.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lopevian
    Thanks Marley, that sounded so good, I visited their website and loved it. I'm ordering for sure, the Baker's Assortment and a couple more. Great as gifts too!
    When you order you will be on the mailing list for their catalogs. You'll love them, they read like magazines giving the history and origin of the spices and they include some great recipes. I'm hooked on their spices and I won't buy anything else.
    When you order the gift sets they use real cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and whole nutmegs as packing materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    When you order the gift sets they use real cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and whole nutmegs as packing materials.

Now I want to order them just for the wonderful smell they must give off...

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    When you order you will be on the mailing list for their catalogs. You'll love them, they read like magazines giving the history and origin of the spices and they include some great recipes. I'm hooked on their spices and I won't buy anything else.
    Wow! Thanks again for the info. The packaging material sounds wonderful, I'll put it in my little baby crock pot (my place will smell great). That's interesting about how they give the history of the different spices, there's something to learn on top of everything! Thanks for the tip...
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Any advice on what to look for in a roasting pan and meat thermometer? Any brands you like?

I have All-Clad pots and pans but don't know if I want to spend nearly $200!!! for a roaster. I had thought about using a foil pan but know that I would put a roasting pan to good use if I had one. Plus cooking a turkey is a good excure to go buy one. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Marley, I'm going to check out those spices as well. Sounds interesting!

FORT Regular
    I checked Cooks Illustrated - they recommend "Calphalon's Contemporary Stainless Roasting Pan ($100). In the past, this pan has been part of their Tri-Ply stainless line. Until the Tri-Ply Stainless inventory has run out, look for our favorite roaster under either of those Calphalon lines."

For a thermometer, they rated one that has a probe you put in the oven, with a base unit that is outside the oven. They paid about $30, and it was rated excellent on readability and accuracy, with a temp range of 32 to 392 F. They didn't have much on regular meat thermometers, only instant. They did mention a remote meat thermometer that they liked - Taylor Wireless Oven Thermometer with Remote Pager ($34.99). One unit goes in the meat, the other acts as a pager when the meat arrives at a preset temp. The pager has a range of 150 feet, and can be used in the oven or on the grill. Sounds so cool, I might have to get one!

Premium Member
    I just picked up a Land O' Lakes Holiday Cookie magazine and I can't wait to try this recipe. There are tons of yummy looking cookies in here but this one I guess intrigued me because of the vanilla bean flecks in the frosting. *slobber and *

DOUBLE VANILLA DELIGHTS

COOKIE:
    1 cup softened butter
    1 vanilla bean, reserve bean pod shell (or substitute 1 Tbsp vanilla extract)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 egg
    2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup finely chopped walnuts

FROSTING:
    1 vanilla bean (or substitute 1 tablespoon vanilla extract)
    1/3 cup milk (or Land O' Lakes Fat Free Half & Half)
    2 Tbsp softened butter
    2 cups powdered sugar

Heat oven to 375. For cookies, place butter in large bowl. Slice 1 vanilla bean lengthwise with sharp knife on a flat surface. Scrape seeds into bowl with butter. (Reserve pod shell) Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add sugar, powdered sugar and egg; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating until well mixed. Stir in nuts by hand.
    Shape dough into i-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar; place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool completely.

Meanwhile, slice 1 vanilla bean lengthwise. Open bean to expose seed; place bean and reserved vanilla bean pod shell in small saucepan. Add milk (or half & half); cook over medium heat until mixture just starts to boil. Remove from heat; let mixture stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Discard bean pods.

For frosting; combine half & half mixture, 2 Tbsp butter and 2 cups powdered sugar in small bowl. Beat at low speed until smooth and creamy. Add additional milk 1 tsp at a time if frosting is too thick. Frost cooled cookies.

Closed Thread