Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    OK, so I just got an ice cream maker, and I've been having some fun with it. Last night, I made this:

Blood Orange Sorbet
    1 3/4 cup fresh blood orange juice
    1 1/4 cup water
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    1/8 teaspoon orange flower essence

Boil sugar and water together and bring down to room temperature. Combine juice with sugar mixture and chill thoroughly. When mixture is chilled, prepare in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Add orange flower essence halfway into preparation. Make sure it sets up well, without getting too hard, otherwise you lose the fabulous sorbet texture. Enjoy!
    Gott in heaven that sounds fabulous! I didn't know you could make sorbets with an ice cream maker. Thanks for putting that up, this could seriously impact my summer.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    Lambikins, that looks like a very tasty chili. Even my husband ventured into reading it, he is a chili maniac. (I don't think he ever cooks chili by certain recipe, just go by the gut feeling. We do lots of cooking like that in our household. Sometimes deli, sometimes not )
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002
    lambikins - thank you for the chili recipe! It looks scrumptious. I will try it.
    This chili recipe that I created has been pleasing folks for over 33 years, so I'm very happy that the two of you think it's worth a go.

Since you know that my mom didn't cook, the only chili that I ever had came from a can when I was growing up...and it was GROSS!! My boyfriend at the time was from German ancestry and they used beer in any recipe that they could...including themselves! When I was making this, originally, and Paul was taste-testing it, he said, "This could do better with BEER!" He had a can of Hamm's Beer in his hand, and before I could stop him, he dumped the contents into the pot! I was so pissed off at him, that I didn't speak to him for the rest of the day, or until I tasted the chili after it had cooked for a couple of hours.

He was 100% correct; it deepens the taste and makes it one of those "secret ingredients."

Regarding the use of whole tomatoes; that was one of the things that the judges liked so much about my mix. I cut them in half, only, and they commented on how nice it was to "have different sized ingredients in the bowl, with a nice sized tomato."

And the Contadina brand paste is mandatory; I've tried others but there is something completely unique to Contadina that makes this taste the way it's supposed to.

If you try it, let me know what you think, okay? I've only shared the recipe with close friends in real life, so it will be fun to have feedback from far-flung friends on the Internet!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Will let you know, lambikins!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    Lambikins, that looks like a very tasty chili. Even my husband ventured into reading it, he is a chili maniac. (I don't think he ever cooks chili by certain recipe, just go by the gut feeling. We do lots of cooking like that in our household. Sometimes deli, sometimes not )
    That's what I do, I don't think I ever make chili the same way twice. I'm intrigued by the beer.. curious what that does or tastes like. We don't like it too spicy so I use the Penzey's mild chili powder and no other spices (except for a little salt), and I use about 1/2 as much at the directions say to use.

lambi : I agree, you can freeze your chicken liquid until you need it.

Do you ever make your chili in a crockpot to simmer those flavors all day, lambikins?
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    I found Lambikins omission of chili powder interesting, and refreshing. Amount of "heat' looks low when compared to traditional chili recipes. Not a knock at all, and that is something to adjust for personal preferences and tolerances. In fact, the lower amount on chili seasoning may be crucial for achieving a more balanced overall flavor.

Being a beersnob, I cook with beer quite often. The hoppiness of a beer like Sierra Navada Pale Ale brightens up a chili, while a maltier beer like Bass lends a subtle earthy sweetness to the dish.
    Last edited by SQUATMAN; 02-26-2005 at 12:35 PM.

OK don't knock this til you try it! (so long as you like peanut butter and marshmello)

you know a grilled cheese? Well do it with P & M and it's yummmmy.

I have more people hooked on this!!

I'm kinda sick of them now. When I was pregnant I musta ate about 1,000..

(feelin a lil sick thinkin about them)

they're so good though!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    That's what I do, I don't think I ever make chili the same way twice. I'm intrigued by the beer.. curious what that does or tastes like. We don't like it too spicy so I use the Penzey's mild chili powder and no other spices (except for a little salt), and I use about 1/2 as much at the directions say to use.

lambi : I agree, you can freeze your chicken liquid until you need it.
    Answers, I've got answers! The beer, Marleybone, adds a wonderful "mystery" to the recipe, deepening the flavours. Out of 30 + years of making this chili, there has been only one person who has guessed the 'mystery' ingredient...and poor Steve is an alcoholic! + He said, "I can smell it a mile off!" Maybe he can!

edited to add: it's really fun, Marleybone, to add the beer last, and then slam the lid over the pot! The beer fizzes up and makes this GIANT red foam; I stir it in and then cover it. Yeah, simple pleasures for simple minds, I guess!

I think I use Budweiser Regular of Miller Regular; it does NOT pay to use a tony beer in this because it's the malt flavour that you're going for.

And I've taken the freezing of the chicken stock to heart; I poached 8 more chicken breasts this weekend, so I have a nice 6 cups of pseudo-stock in reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002
    Do you ever make your chili in a crockpot to simmer those flavors all day, lambikins?
    Yep, a_o2002; I've made it in the crock when I'm zooming around all day long and it turns out just as nice. However, it's mandatory to do all the browning first; when I just dumped in the raw meat and vegi's together, (as an experiment)....ugh! It was just a mess. The raccoons, however, enjoyed it and left me a "Thank You card". Depending on how much time I have and how hungry I am, I'll flip a coin and make it either stove top or crock pot.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    I found Lambikins omission of chili powder interesting, and refreshing. Amount of "heat' looks low when compared to traditional chili recipes. Not a knock at all, and that is something to adjust for personal preferences and tolerances. In fact, the lower amount on chili seasoning may be crucial for achieving a more balanced overall flavor.
    Hey, SQUATMAN, thanks for being astute enough to notice the complete lack of "chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, blah-blah-blibbity-blah". After all, I'm a Scan-di-hoovian, and our little taste buds get scorched just thinking about jalapenos's and the like. When I created this, I was just a kid, living on the prairie in Northern Minnesota and ketchup was considered 'exotic'! I think the lack of 4 Star heat is why so many of my friends enjoy this recipe; kids go mad for it and also anyone not looking for heart burn. I also loved your sobriquet to beer; you remind me of Miles in SIDEWAYS and his ode to wine....but certainly NOT Merlot!

When I've had skiing or ice skating parties, I'll make a nice 8 quarts of this chili and have several bowls of additions for those that want them: chopped onions, grated cheese, oyster crackers, hot sauce, sour cream, jalapenos and such. This way, people can make it to taste, yet you'r not stuck eating something that you don't like. What's also nice, is that for people who have food allergies, there's no dairy, butter, or flour in it, so it's pretty safe for most people to enjoy. I've even made it with soy-"meat", for vegetarian friends and that turned out well, too.

Now, with all this talk about my chili, I'm craving some!
    Last edited by lambikins; 02-27-2005 at 06:58 PM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Answers, I've got answers! The beer, Marleybone, adds a wonderful "mystery" to the recipe, deepening the flavours. Out of 30 + years of making this chili, there has been only one person who has guessed the 'mystery' ingredient...and poor Steve is an alcoholic! + He said, "I can smell it a mile off!" Maybe he can!

edited to add: it's really fun, Marleybone, to add the beer last, and then slam the lid over the pot! The beer fizzes up and makes this GIANT red foam; I stir it in and then cover it. Yeah, simple pleasures for simple minds, I guess!
    Next time I make chili I will have to try that...I love to play with my food.

Hey, can I come to your next ice skating party?

Okay...my neighbor bought a George Forman Grill, and it kicks butt! She placed FROZEN meat right on the grill and it was done in a few minutes...we are talking E A S Y
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Closed Thread