Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    if you like spinach, you may like this: Chicken and Spinach Pasta
    Toby: I just made this for lunch and it was dee-licious! Thanks for a fast, easy, YUMMY recipe!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

OK, so I just got an ice cream maker, and I've been having some fun with it. Last night, I made this:

Blood Orange Sorbet
    1 3/4 cup fresh blood orange juice
    1 1/4 cup water
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    1/8 teaspoon orange flower essence

Boil sugar and water together and bring down to room temperature. Combine juice with sugar mixture and chill thoroughly. When mixture is chilled, prepare in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Add orange flower essence halfway into preparation. Make sure it sets up well, without getting too hard, otherwise you lose the fabulous sorbet texture. Enjoy!
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I am stumped as far as what to do with poaching liquid. Any clues?

I poached chicken breasts, for the first time in my life. The recipe called for the chicken, broth and loads of fresh herbs. I've already used the chicken, but, don't know if I can keep the chicken-infused broth for an addition for a soup, or if it needs to be pitched. If I can save it, I'll freeze it for chicken soup.

Has anyone got any experience in this?

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I suggest you throw it as farrrrr away as possible.
    YOU of all people lambikins should know that poaching of ANY KIND, any animal..whether it's their poor little breasts or feathery wings.. is ILL.E.GAL.

:nono For shame.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I suggest you throw it as farrrrr away as possible.
    YOU of all people lambikins should know that poaching of ANY KIND, any animal..whether it's their poor little breasts or feathery wings.. is ILL.E.GAL.

:nono For shame.
    "Huff!", all I have to say about that is...

come listen to a story
    about a poster named lambi
    a poor mountaineer
    barely kept her family fed-y
    then one day
    she was shootin up some food
    and up from the ground came a bubblin crude

oil that is
    black gold
    texas tea

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    I am stumped as far as what to do with poaching liquid. Any clues?

I poached chicken breasts, for the first time in my life. The recipe called for the chicken, broth and loads of fresh herbs. I've already used the chicken, but, don't know if I can keep the chicken-infused broth for an addition for a soup, or if it needs to be pitched. If I can save it, I'll freeze it for chicken soup.

Has anyone got any experience in this?
    I can't think of a reason not to save it, lambikins. It would probably be great in a soup! I always save the pan drippings to freeze anytime I boil, poach, or roast chicken, and it's always good to use in other things.
    This reminds me of when my youngest sister, who never got any kitchen time, called me wanting to know how to make chicken soup; she said, "I already boiled and drained the chicken." When I told told her to just add the other veggies and stuff back into the liquid, she said "eeew, I already threw that out!"
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Does anyone have a favorite chili recipe?? I want to make some this weekend..and wondered if anyone has a really good recipe! Thanks!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Blue Ribbon Chili

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002
    Does anyone have a favorite chili recipe?? I want to make some this weekend..and wondered if anyone has a really good recipe! Thanks!
    angelic_one2002: I'm leery about sharing a chili recipe, or meatloaf recipe or any recipe that has 10,000 variations on a theme. Everyone who makes spaghetti, chili, beef stew, etc., absolutely-positively believes that their's and their's alone is THE BEST ______ IN THE WORLD!

They're probably right, for their family.

With that said, I'm sharing my version of chili, which won me a 1st Prize, Blue Ribbon for my 4H project. It won both at the Anoka County Fair and the Minnesota State Fair back in 1972, and it's the only recipe for chili that I've ever made or wanted to make.

So, it has an interesting history, and you might enjoy sharing it with your family and friends. And like anything like this, it always tastes better the next day and freezes superbly!

NOTE: I do not like to brown meat in a deep stock pot, because of the trapped heat burning my hand when I'm browning it. Therefore, I brown the meat in a large skillet and then transfer the mixture to a large kettle or stock pot.

BEE'S BLUE RIBBON CHILI

1 Large Spanish Onion, coarsely chopped

1 Large Green Pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped

5 Cloves of Garlic, minced

1 1/2- 2 pounds of Ground Beef or Ground Sirloin

2-3 Tablespoons EACH of Worcestershire Sauce and Soy Sauce

1) Combine all ingredients in a large fry pan, and saute until beef is nicely browned. If using sirloin, you do NOT need to drain for grease.

(Transfer above mixture to a large stock pot of soup pot.)

ADD THE FOLLOWING ONCE BEEF IS BROWNED:

3-4 Stalks of Celery, chopped

2 Tablespoons of Dried or Fresh Parsley

2 Tablespoons of Italian Seasoning

1 teaspoon of Ground Pepper

1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar, tightly packed

2-12 ounce cans of Contadina Tomato Paste (MUST BE THIS BRAND)

2 teaspoons of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

2 15 1/2 ounce cans of Kidney Beans or beans of choice

1 28 ounce can of Whole Tomatoes

1 teaspoon of Tabasco Sauce

1 12 ounce can of Beer (I use Miller or another light tasting brand)

Stir all ingredients together; cover and simmer for at least 2 hours.

Lambikins, that looks like a very tasty chili. Even my husband ventured into reading it, he is a chili maniac. (I don't think he ever cooks chili by certain recipe, just go by the gut feeling. We do lots of cooking like that in our household. Sometimes deli, sometimes not )
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

lambikins - thank you for the chili recipe! It looks scrumptious. I will try it.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Closed Thread