Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Premium Member
    MMmmm... that sounds so good. Did you rub it on right before cooking or did you let it kind of marinate for a little bit?

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Snowy, it looks great. One tip, you might want to add celery leaves (especially hiding in the center) to your recipe. Chop up the leafy parts and add them for a richer flavor. By the time the soup is done, you won't recognize them in your soup anywhere. Alternatively, you can put in Italian Parsley.

You might taste it halfway through and think it tastes bitter, but by the time the soup has finished it has mellowed and added body to the taste in my experience.

(This is really my brother's tip but I've been doing it for years now. My brother lived in a vegetarian co-op for a few years, and for a while he was the veggie stock/soup maestro. Just don't ask about Mustard Soup.)
    Thanks for the tips, Hep. You know what, I actually did use Italian Parsley (I don't like the curly kind, so we've always got that on hand), and it came out so tasty everyone's requesting I make it again this weekend. I will try the celery leaves next time. Can I use both the leaves and the parsley at the same time, or do you think that's too much? Do you put them in at the beginning or to finish the soup?

I would actually LOVE to hear some more of your brother's soup tips. With all the rain lately, it's perfect soup weather. And vegetarian is good, as we are observing Lent.

Okay, I tried this recipe today (I added crushed macadamia nuts to some and left the others as is) and they came out tasting delicious BUT I couldn't get the tops to brown! Can someone offer me some advice on how to adjust this recipe?

This is from Elaine Magee's Flax Cookbook:

Banana Maple Muffins

2/3 cup milk
    1 TBS white wine, cider, or rice vinegar (I used apple cider vin)
    2 1/8 cups white flour
    Canola cooking spray (I used muffin cups instead)
    6 TBS ground flaxseed
    2 1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 TBS butter, softened
    4 TBS light cream cheese
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1 egg
    4 egg whites or 1/2 cup egg substitute
    2 medium ripe bananas, cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 350. Combine milk and vinegar in bowl and let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, coat muffin cups with canola spray.

Add flour, flaxseed, baking powder, and salt to large bowl and stir with fork to blend well.

In mixing bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add maple syrup and blend, then add egg egg whites one at a time, beating till smooth.

On lowest speed, gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in banana chunks.

Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes until well-risen and golden, and tester inserted in center comes out relatively clean (with a few moist crumbs on it.)
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    I also use the freezer bags to marinate (including flank steak - just add your marinade (I use Spiedie sauce ) and throw it in the freezer until you're ready to use. ) Especially handy when I'm taking a flank steak camping - just pack the frozen flank steak with the marinade in the cooler, its nice and flat so it packs easily, and usually by the time I'm ready to grill it it has defrosted.
    This looks like a great idea; I'll definately keep this in mind!
    I don't need any recipes, just IDEAS...from people who have never been "down South" (GA). I'm having a visitor (pen pal from Noo Yawk City!) who has never been here, in April. We'll be kinda busy visiting Callaway Gardens and so forth, but does anyone know of any "southern dishes" that they would want to try if they came here? I will probably take my guest to a really good BBQ place with a real pit, etc. for lunch, but I'm trying to think of some other things. It's a little to early to be getting any green tomatoes to fry, and most people seem to be afraid of grits, having tried them in restaurants (where they cook them with no salt in the water--gross. This is one thing that MUST be presalted to be any good at all!)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    MMmmm... that sounds so good. Did you rub it on right before cooking or did you let it kind of marinate for a little bit?
    I marinated it for about 30 seconds. If it was marinated overnight it would probably be extra-garlic-y, which is certainly not a bad thing (IMO, anyway). I used a lot of garlic, though, so the quick rub worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    This looks like a great idea; I'll definately keep this in mind!
    I don't need any recipes, just IDEAS...
    I'm a southerner true and true. I'd take 'em for some pan fried chicken. I'm sure you've got a local joint that does that. Something in Tennessee we call a "meat and three" joint. You know, home cooking where you get a meat and three vegetables. Throw in some home made biscuits, pecan pie and of course the nectar of the Gods....Sweet Tea! Geez, now I'm hungry.

Yep...theres a really good place just south of the ATL airport that has been there since I was a little b! Excellent idea, UNK.
    I think I'll make one of my famous pecan pies ahead of time (on a non-rainy day!) and freeze it, and just take something easy to cook like steaks for our night at the State Park, and treat my friend to some Southern cooking at a restaurant...much easier when we'll be busy sight-seeing.

Can I use both the leaves and the parsley at the same time, or do you think that's too much? Do you put them in at the beginning or to finish the soup?
    The italian parsley is such a strong flavor that I wouldn't put both. In either case, put them in at the beginning. They need a long time in the pot or they come out too bitter (especially that parsley).

Do you have a Trader Joe's? If you can make a veggie stock, just add half a pack of one of their dried tortellinis (I like eggplant and roasted red pepper stuffing) and it makes an awesome veggie soup.

Queenb, even though you're in GA not LA, would your friend enjoy something Cajun like jambalaya or gumbo? Definitely not standard NY fare.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I thought about that hep, but the fact is I just don't really like Cajun stuff that much myself!

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    I also use the freezer bags to marinate (including flank steak - just add your marinade (I use Spiedie sauce ) and throw it in the freezer until you're ready to use. ) Especially handy when I'm taking a flank steak camping - just pack the frozen flank steak with the marinade in the cooler, its nice and flat so it packs easily, and usually by the time I'm ready to grill it it has defrosted.
    ADK, I've never thought about this. What a great idea.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

if you like spinach, you may like this: Chicken and Spinach Pasta

1/4 cup tomato sauce
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 cup spinach
    1 tsp parmesan cheese
    1/4 tsp italian seasoning
    2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
    1/3 tbsp olive oil
    any type of pasta, cooked and drained

Heat oil over med-low heat and saute garlic. Increase heat and add chicken. Cook till no longer pink. Add spinach, tomato sauce and seasonings. Lower heat and simmer covered for 5-10 minutes. Add pasta to pan, heat through. Sprinkle with cheese

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Closed Thread