Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by tracylee
    Looks great, and being from Oregon and all, but after growing up with my Dad barbecuing fish to death, I really don't like it cooked! Gimme sushi any day. In fact, that's what we had this evening, after spending the day at the Asian Celebration in Eugene.
    I sympathize. I used to hate cooked fish. In fact, the only fish I would eat growing up was sole. That was mostly because it didn't taste like much of anything. It's amazing how your taste buds change over time.

Lambi: Feel free to tell Sally you invented the brown sugar salmon recipe.

Hoowee, looks like I got a lot of catching up to do in this thread, but I wanted to thank you all for your tips and recipes--I've been up to a lot of cooking lately. I finally ventured beyond baking to making some crockpot meals thanks to the posts I saw in here, and man the crockpot ROCKS MY WORLD (or "crocks" my world, maybe? ) because it's so easy to throw stuff in there then go about your business and come back to a fragrant kitchen and a yummy dinner. It's the original "set it & forget it."

So, these are some easy-peasy recipes I cooked up this weekend that everyone seemed to like and want more of. Hope you guys like them too.

Lentil and Sausage Soup
    (Serves 8)

1 cup lentils, uncooked
    1/2 pound turkey kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup onion, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 cup carrots, chopped
    1 cup potato, diced
    2 Tbsp parsley
    6 cups beef broth, (canned or made with bouillion)
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/8 tsp nutmeg <-- really seems to "make" this recipe

Wash and drain lentils. Place all raw ingredients in crockpot and simmer all day (6-8 hours on low), stirring occasionally.

Crockpot Beef with Mushrooms & Red Wine Gravy

1 1/2 lbs. well-trimmed beef stew meat -- cut into one inch cubes
    2 medium onions cut into half inch wedges
    1 pkg. sliced fresh mushrooms -- (8 ounce)
    1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
    3 Tablespoons cornstarch
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 1/2 cups dry red wine

Place beef, onions and mushrooms in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker (crockpot). Add dry soup mix. Sprinkle with cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste. Pour wine over all. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours or high 5 to 6 hours. Stir well before serving.

I served the recipe above with Quinoa which is a marvelous grain my brother introduced me to not too long ago. It's been called a "supergrain" that was a staple of the Incans, and has more calcium and protein in one cup than a quart of milk! Also, it has as much protein as meat, and contains essential amino acids and iron. I love the nutty flavor and interesting texture (each little grain looks like a little "Saturn"--a tiny orb with a ring around it, call Scully & Mulder!). You cook it and serve just like you would rice. Last night was my first time making it myself, and I tossed two cloves of garlic and bit of olive oil into the water to give it a nice flavor.

Oh yeah, I also got a really great flax cookbook and made a spectacular Ham, Swiss and Asparagus Fritatta from it that I'll share with you when I have more time to type it out. Later today, I'm also going to try these scrumptious sounding Banana Maple Flax muffins and let you know how they come out. Yay for flax!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

OK, I need some help from you freezer fans... When you freeze soup or stew, do you just put it in a big Freezer Ziploc after it cools? I've had this horrible cold for a week, so I made a great big pot of chicken soup or stew (or something...it has creamed corn, tomatoes , black pepper, garlic and a ton of onions, garlic, and chili powder for my cold, and alphabet noodles because they're cute) but I just don't even feel like trying to eat it. I guess I had better save a little to make myself eat later, but I'd like to freeze the rest; it looks really good.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I dont freeze soup or stew. I just put it in the fridge. When I put it in the fridge, we just put it in a ziploc container. It is much easier, and it stores it for longer. I am sure you could just freeze it in a ziploc container too. I hope you feel better!! !!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    OK, I need some help from you freezer fans... When you freeze soup or stew, do you just put it in a big Freezer Ziploc after it cools?
    That's what I do, and it's worked just fine for me. I hope your cold gets better quickly.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    OK, I need some help from you freezer fans... When you freeze soup or stew, do you just put it in a big Freezer Ziploc after it cools? I've had this horrible cold for a week, so I made a great big pot of chicken soup or stew (or something...it has creamed corn, tomatoes , black pepper, garlic and a ton of onions, garlic, and chili powder for my cold, and alphabet noodles because they're cute) but I just don't even feel like trying to eat it. I guess I had better save a little to make myself eat later, but I'd like to freeze the rest; it looks really good.

Exactly what I do. Then I freeze the stuff in the freezer bags "flat", you know? Takes up very little space that way. I do the same thing with the filling I make for stuffed peppers (that way I just have to blanch the peppers and throw everyting in a crockpot with some sauce).

I also use the freezer bags to marinate (including flank steak - just add your marinade (I use Spiedie sauce ) and throw it in the freezer until you're ready to use. ) Especially handy when I'm taking a flank steak camping - just pack the frozen flank steak with the marinade in the cooler, its nice and flat so it packs easily, and usually by the time I'm ready to grill it it has defrosted.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    My mouth is watering. Mmm, we put butterscotch chips in our chocolate chip cookies too. Another option is to substitute M&M's for chocolate chips. It sounds cloying, but the baked M&M's come out differently than you'd expect.

For years we've solved the butter vs. margarine vs. shortening debate by putting a half-butter, half-shortening. There is no correct answer I fear.

Those butterscotch chips are incredible in oatmeal cookies.

Darn the diet!
    Have you tried the M&M's made especially for baking? They are smaller and made with dark chocolate. They are especially good mixed in a batch of brownies.

I have really good luck using Butter Crisco in my chocolate chip cookies.

Lentil and Sausage Soup
    (Serves 8)
    Snowy, it looks great. One tip, you might want to add celery leaves (especially hiding in the center) to your recipe. Chop up the leafy parts and add them for a richer flavor. By the time the soup is done, you won't recognize them in your soup anywhere. Alternatively, you can put in Italian Parsley.

You might taste it halfway through and think it tastes bitter, but by the time the soup has finished it has mellowed and added body to the taste in my experience.

(This is really my brother's tip but I've been doing it for years now. My brother lived in a vegetarian co-op for a few years, and for a while he was the veggie stock/soup maestro. Just don't ask about Mustard Soup.)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

hep,
    That sounds like a great tip. I'm waaaay too scared to ask about the Mustard soup though.

Just a quick thing:
    Last night I made garlic and thyme chicken. I took several cloves of garlic, chopped them up in the food processor, added a little thyme (I used dried but fresh is better) and olive oil, rubbed the mixture all over some chicken thighs and baked them in a 375 oven for 45 minutes. It was delicious and smelled divine. (I also removed the skin to make it a little healthier).

And the butter/margarine/shortening thing for cookies? For me it's all butter, all the time.

Closed Thread