Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

I have to admit, I love my cookies to be crisp, not the chewy kind. Hence I adore all those lace cookie recipes
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

My mouth is watering. Mmm, we put butterscotch chips in our chocolate chip cookies too. Another option is to substitute M&M's for chocolate chips. It sounds cloying, but the baked M&M's come out differently than you'd expect.

For years we've solved the butter vs. margarine vs. shortening debate by putting a half-butter, half-shortening. There is no correct answer I fear.

Those butterscotch chips are incredible in oatmeal cookies.

Darn the diet!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

When I was a little girl, my mom (the same Rose who made the Lemon Whippersnaps) made an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie we loved called Cowboy Cookies, which she got out of our local newspaper. Many, many years later, I finally asked her why they were called cowboy cookies, and she said the article said they would cause a stampede. For some reason it struck us all funny, and we laughed hysterically at the thought, and now it's one of my fondest memories of her.

I'm definitely a soft, chewy cookie lover, and we add shredded coconut to this recipe now. The coconut does wonders for keeping the cookie chewy, gooey and soft.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Mariner, thanks I love fish, but am dyslexic when it comes to cooking it, but I think I can handle this recipe.
    Looks great, and being from Oregon and all, but after growing up with my Dad barbecuing fish to death, I really don't like it cooked! Gimme sushi any day. In fact, that's what we had this evening, after spending the day at the Asian Celebration in Eugene.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerFish
    Darn, I'm making myself hungry!
    Yah, that is one of the drawbacks on this thread, isn't it, Dreamerfish! However, I have to say, that I've never eaten as well or learned so much from a thread, on ANY site that I frequent!

Great link, by the way. I printed out several copies of the info and sent the link to several Baking Buddies that I have. Thanks for the education.

Mariner: Well, my friend, you already know what I think of your fish recipes; now, YOU have the distinction of being the first and ONLY recipe that my partner has asked for! I made your brown sugar salmon recipe and Sally went bonkers for it; with all the incredible recipes that I've made for her....yours was the one that she requested! Huff-f-f-f! Oh, well, at least it was "mine", by proxy!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

These recipes all sound amazing. Hey, they are better than the way I make my grilled cheese

Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl91
    These recipes all sound amazing. Hey, they are better than the way I make my grilled cheese
    You're on the right track, weathergirl91. My big culinary accomplishments when I was your age was Quaker Oatmeal and grilled cheese sandwiches. It would have been microwave popcorn, too, but it hadn't been invented yet, when I was a kid...you know, back when dirt was young.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I'm surprised to hear that lambikins...for some reason I figured all of us old folks learned to cook and bake starting from when we were little kids. I had a little stool I'd stand on to "help" or just watch when I wasn't even big enough to see over the counter!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Queenb, I love to cook now, but I would do anything not to cook at home, much to my mother's disappointment. (I'm in my 50's). Moving out on my own when I was 18 forced me to learn, because I discovered I didn't like going hungry.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    I'm surprised to hear that lambikins...for some reason I figured all of us old folks learned to cook and bake starting from when we were little kids. I had a little stool I'd stand on to "help" or just watch when I wasn't even big enough to see over the counter!
    Well, I would have learned to cook an' tote an' shoot an' hunt an' skin, queenb, if my mom had done the smart thing and just left me with my grandparents! However, when ANTM meets Wife Swap freaks, the collision was my mom. She was a party girl and model who "collected" me from my grandparents for each of her 5 marriages, (yes...5!) and deposited in her Look But Don't TOUCH homes. I'd get shipped back to my Grandparents when she got bored with me or between marriages.

I did have loads of watching my Grandma cook, however, and I thank God that I had that time in the kitchen, or I probably wouldn't be cooking at all. I was just so young and Grandma would bustle around her massive kitchen with cast iron cookware on the wood stove, that she couldn't afford the time for those Hallmark moments when kids and Gran's are making sugar cookies.

I don't know if you've seen that silly ad where this posh woman is having a dinner party, and her guests are eating off of paper plates and plastic flatware; well, that was my mom. She hated with an unholy passion 'cooking' odors and "mess", so she wouldn't allow anyone to cook in the kitchen if it made either. This included herself. So, oatmeal, soup, and sandwiches were the safest things to make and stay alive.

I began to cook after my first marriage because that was the heyday of Crockpot cooking, fondue and crepe making, so it became this fun game for me to make strange and exotic things that weren't the norm. Then, after my Gran died when I was 20, I began to realize that I'd never have those tastes again, unless I began to research them. That's what took me on the path to Heirloom recipes and really turning things around and becoming the cook that I am today.

Every single chance that I get, I teach young friends how to cook and bake, so that they have some chance in the kitchen when they aren't disciplined for messes and mistakes. It ends up fun for both of us and it's nice to have young people in your life. Last week, my friend's 16 year old daughter and I made a fresh*from*scratch lemon meringue pie and I took photos the entire process. I've printed them out and made a small recipe book for her, with the photos and recipe included. She was so happy, you'd think she won tickets to Green Day!

So parents, LET YOUR KIDS INTO THE KITCHEN!!!! That's the surest way to keep them out of trouble and off of drugs!

Closed Thread