Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

For the love of God, it's just a grilled cheese sandwich...

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    tracylee: I've got two soups in the frig, waiting for the week-end and I was looking around for something else that wasn't...well...soup! I my Foreman grill!! Your recipe sounds fast, inexpensive and very tasty; I'm putting it on the list for yummy things to eat. jWhat do you normally serve with it? Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe.
    We usually heat up french bread and throw together a salad. Nothing too fancy.

It was actually posted as a low-carb recipe (for those that care) but I just found it so simple that I've used it for just about every crowd - OK, not my vegetarian step-son.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Okay, another fish recipe from Savor the Flavor of Oregon:

Garlic Grilled Halibut
    2 large halibut steaks, 1 inch thick
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon chopped parsley

Combine garlic, oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley. Add fish and marinate for at least two hours. Remove from marinade and reserve liquid. Lightly oil broiler pan or grill. Broil for about 5 minutes on each side. Brush with remaining marinade and heat another minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Okay, another fish recipe from Savor the Flavor of Oregon:

Garlic Grilled Halibut
    2 large halibut steaks, 1 inch thick
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon chopped parsley

Combine garlic, oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley. Add fish and marinate for at least two hours. Remove from marinade and reserve liquid. Lightly oil broiler pan or grill. Broil for about 5 minutes on each side. Brush with remaining marinade and heat another minute.
    Mariner, thanks I love fish, but am dyslexic when it comes to cooking it, but I think I can handle this recipe.

Not Another Chocolate Chip Cookie

Yahoo! Another recipe from Mariner! M: you know that your recipe is going right into my personal file! Pass "Go" and collect 200 compliments!

Here's my recipe for the week, a chocolate chip cookie.

Yeah, I know....big deal.

Well, it is for those of us, (Me) who can't stand the little buggers and have never understood their appeal. (Lambi runs and finds cover from all the chocolate chip cookies thrown at her!) see me scampering away?

First, I don't like the taste of chocolate. That's right, I'm one of three people on the planet that have never craved chocolate. Oh, it's alright, but for me, it's fruit flavours that ring my clapper.

Whenever I've tasted c.c.cookies, they seemed too floury-tasting, or too doughy tasting. Plus, it's a rare cookie, indeed, that I'll like to have nuts hiding in wait for me to bite into.

So, it was with great surprise, during my undergrad days that I ate the first chocolate chip cookie that I actually enjoyed and scarfed down like a chocolate-deprived maniac!

This is my friend, Beth's Mom's recipe; a cookie made straight from an Iowan farm wife. She uses twice the butter called for in the Nestle Tollhouse variety, and her twist was using dark chocolate chips vs. milk chocolate, AND Butterscotch morsels. Her family also hated nuts in their cookies, so that solved another problem that I had with them.

The dough turns out nice and stiff, so when you take the rounded measuring spoonful, you can place it in your hands, roll it into a ball, and come out with perfectly round cookies.

I've been making this one for over 32 years now, and this weekend, when I made yet another batch of Beth's Mom's cookies, I thought I'd share it for others to enjoy...with a BIG glass of milk, of course!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BETH'S MOM'S CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
    1/2 teaspoon of Salt
    1 Cup of Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
    1/2 Cup of Sugar
    3/4 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar, packed
    2 teaspoons of Vanilla
    1 Large Egg, beaten
    8 ounces of Dark Chocolate Chips
    4 ounces of Butterscotch Chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt, mixing together well.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg. Beat well.

Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture; mix well.

Stir in chips by hand. Dough will be stiff and requires no refrigeration.

Using a Tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop a rounded tablespoon from dough, and if desired, roll it in your hands to produce a perfectly round ball.

Place 3" apart on parchment-covered baking sheet. About 12 balls fit a standard pan.

Bake 12-15 minutes in a 375 degree oven; cookies *puff* high while baking, at the 10 minute mark they are very high and collapse at about 11 minutes. I bake them for 13 minutes exactly, which results in a nicely chewy cookie.

Cool on parchment for 10 minutes, when they release perfectly.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    That halibut recipe sounds great, I've got that one and the chocolate chip cookie one printed and filed.
    I'm always looking for a better chocolate chip cookie so this will be fun to try! I never use milk chocolate, ick.. too sweet. I have always used semi-sweet but now Hershey's has Dark Chocolate chips so that's what I use now for everything.

On the nuts... well sometimes I feel like a nut and sometimes I don't. When I do use nuts I like the finely chopped walnuts so you don't have to bite into big chunks of nuts. Sometimes I just want something chewy, gooey and dripping with warm melted chocolate chips and no nuts.

One of the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had was last November my mom and I were in Kansas City for my cousin's wedding. We stayed at the Doubletree in Overland Park and when I checked us in they handed me these huge, warm chocolate chip cookies. We didn't eat them until the next day but they were so amazing I would kill for the recipe. I know there was a hint of cinnamon in there and finely ground walnuts. I'm just thinking about it.

Too much butter will cause the cookie to spread like crazy and stay too soft in the center with crispy edges. The best recipe I've found is the classic TollHouse one. Most of the ones I've run across call for semisweet chips, never milk chocolate.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Too much butter will cause the cookie to spread like crazy and stay too soft in the center with crispy edges. The best recipe I've found is the classic TollHouse one. Most of the ones I've run across call for semisweet chips, never milk chocolate.
    Oh, I know about the Chief Running Butter syndrome, Tex. That's why, when Beth's Mom gave me this recipe, I was sceptical. In fact, I couldn't understand why it also didn't need refrigeration, to firm it up. But, indeed, there is not a smig too much butter for this ratio, and they don't run at all.

At the ten minute mark, they are puffed up and still moist, but at the 13-15 minute mark, the top is cracked and they are perfect to take out and cool.

The only c.c.cookies that I had ever tasted were made with MILK chocolate chips....blech! I've tried the Tollhouse variety and countless others; they still taste too doughy for my tastes. However, their Oatmeal Scothie recipe is flawless.

You might want to give this one a go, though. I've baked it for over 30 years and it's a no-fail recipe.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I've always used semi-sweet chips, never milk chocolate, for my chocolate chip cookies. Your recipe is slightly different but Nestle's original recipe calls for the same amount of butter as the recipe you posted I like experimenting to get different textures: margarine or shortening instead of butter - I've even tried oil -- kinda greasy but still good, egg substitute in place of real eggs - okay mostly I do this one so I can eat the dough (I won't eat it if it has raw eggs), add a little milk, a little more brown sugar - a little less brown sugar, even tried brownulated sugar. Here's the link for Nestle Commonly Asked Questions. If you browse through it you'll see how to adjust their recipe to get cakey, soft and chewy, and thin and crispy cookies. Some other interesting stuff there too.

I really like the original recipe without chocolate chips and I've been wanting to try frosting them with a Brown Butter Icing recipe from Paula Deen -- the oatmeal cookie recipe on that page looks good too. Darn, I'm making myself hungry!

Premium Member
    MMmmm.. Brown Butter Icing. I love Paula Deen, y'all!

Closed Thread