Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

He proceeded with your exact directions,
    That must have been something to see, since she melted butter in the microwave.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    That must have been something to see, since she melted butter in the microwave.
    Sh-h-h-h, tell no-one, hepcat! Microwaves were "Classified" information, in the 40's. Very Hush-Hush Military Secrets. Had to beat the Commies any way we could. After 1952, they became marketed under "Radar Ranges"....because they were developed for the Military. Sh-h-h-h-

(all true, by the way)
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

haha. Thats the only safe way I know how to melt butter. And I am glad someone else makes it the way I do! My friend John loves to cook because his grandma has taught him, and the other day he asked me how i make MY grilled cheese. when i told him, he criticized me so much (in a joking way) and we talked for over FIVE minutes about how the "right" way was to make it. haha

Even though the husband believes that butter is better in every instance, I do prefer margarine for my grilled cheese sandwiches...it's got a higher burn point and is less greasy tasting than dairy butter.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I do my grilled cheese in a non-stick pan, and skip the melted butter/margarine. What is spread on the bread is enough.

The CBS early show did a segment on grilled cheese sandwiches a while ago and I printed off the recipes, but haven't tried any of them yet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in646322.shtml

Campbell's Tomato Soup (the ONLY tomato soup worthy of crossing my tongue)
    Meh. Campbell's is alright when I'm living on student income and don't have more than a dollar to spend on dinner. It's certainly not the end-all of soup. I mean, it's condensed and looks like a weird tomato loaf.

What I really like is Trader Joe's Organic Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper soup. It comes in a resealable carton and makes about 4 mugs worth. I actually had it for dinner last night, and it blows Campbells out of the water.

Cheese Heads Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    I do my grilled cheese in a non-stick pan, and skip the melted butter/margarine. What is spread on the bread is enough.

The CBS early show did a segment on grilled cheese sandwiches a while ago and I printed off the recipes, but haven't tried any of them yet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in646322.shtml
    veejer I am so glad that you stepped out of that infamous Brown Truck to post this link! Best recipe post of the week, in my opinion!

Folks, not only does veejer's link have recipes for Apple, Ham and Cheddar on Sourdough; Two Melt Mediterranean; Ricotta and Marmalade with Chocolate Sauce; and Dutch Grilled Cheese....but the woman who wrote about them has actually published a grilled cheese cookbook! Called Great Grilled Cheese, I'm getting this the next time I'm at a bookstore.

veejer: you've made my Midwestern Cheese-loving heart happy today!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    Meh. Campbell's is alright when I'm living on student income and don't have more than a dollar to spend on dinner. It's certainly not the end-all of soup. I mean, it's condensed and looks like a weird tomato loaf.

What I really like is Trader Joe's Organic Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper soup. It comes in a resealable carton and makes about 4 mugs worth. I actually had it for dinner last night, and it blows Campbells out of the water.
    Yes, duckgirl, there are better, more gourmet tomato soups out there, but we're talking about the insane troll logic of comfort food! At a food blog that I frequent now, where I feel like a numpty for lack of gourmet experience, we were chatting about 'comfort' food and hands down, Campbell's Tomato Soup won.

Maybe it's a Baby Boomer thing.

I like a little mayo in my grilled cheese, but dh doesn't. To get them good and brown, I put a cast iron bacon press over two sandwiches at a time. More like restaurant. But then again, since there are only two of us...

A yummy chicken parm recipe from a friend (easy for a crowd):
    Chicken Breast
    Italian Seasoning
    Ragu flavored with meat or any other spaghetti sauce
    Mozz cheese
    Parm cheese

Grill the chicken breast with the italian seasoning. I use a George Foreman grill.
    Once the chicken is done, spoon three tablespoons of sauce on it. cover with the cheeses of your choice and put under the broiler until the cheese is to your desired melty-ness. I prefer mine browned but I'm picky
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

tracylee: I've got two soups in the frig, waiting for the week-end and I was looking around for something else that wasn't...well...soup! I my Foreman grill!! Your recipe sounds fast, inexpensive and very tasty; I'm putting it on the list for yummy things to eat. jWhat do you normally serve with it? Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe.

Closed Thread