Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by kcfemmefatale
    My favorite recipe creation (one all of my guy friends now use to impress their dates because it's super-easy and tastes great):

4 split chicken breasts
    slices of swiss cheese (enough to cover the chicken)
    1/4 cup of vermouth
    1 can cream of celery soup
    butter or margarine
    croutons

1. Wash and pat dry chicken, then place it in a buttered or cooking sprayed baking dish.

2. Cover the chicken with slices of swiss cheese.

3. Mix the vermouth and soup and pour it over the chicken.

4. Dot with butter and sprinkle with croutons.

5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for an hour or until done.

This recipe is great served with a fresh green veggie and boiled or roasted seasoned red potatoes.
    Hi KC! Both of your recipes sound wonderful, but the second one is the one I'm whipping up tomorrow; I've got everything on hand. And...ANYTHING that requires hard liquor is already a favorite of mine!

Thanks for sharing these and taking the time to type them out. Lambi
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Hi KC! Both of your recipes sound wonderful, but the second one is the one I'm whipping up tomorrow; I've got everything on hand. And...ANYTHING that requires hard liquor is already a favorite of mine!

Thanks for sharing these and taking the time to type them out. Lambi
    You are welcome - enjoy it! The recipe tastes even better leftover, but it's great the first night, too.
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

Premium Member
    lambi I just had my whole Buttermilk Pie recipe and the Buckwheat dough that they recommend with it all ready to post... I don't know what happened but I lost the whole post that I just spent 1/2 hour writing. I've got to run now but I'll come back later and try again.
    This all comes from the Fannie Farmer Baking Book. I've never tried the Buckwheat dough but I'll post it in case you're interested.

And yes, I'm the one with the Eggnog Pumpkin Pie. I'll have to look for that one, I can't remember if I posted it back when we had the Christmas baking thread going.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    lambi I just had my whole Buttermilk Pie recipe and the Buckwheat dough that they recommend with it all ready to post... I don't know what happened but I lost the whole post that I just spent 1/2 hour writing. I've got to run now but I'll come back later and try again.
    Oh, Marleybone, that is the worst thing that can happen to a poster! I help mod a writer's website and I learned two years ago....if your post is longer than you can remember it....copy every damn one of them, before you try to post it! Yesterday alone, I "lost" two posts on other sites, and I thanked my lucky stars that I'm obsessive about hitting 'copy'! After you put all that effort into the first one, you feel like throwing your hands in the air and saying '_uck it' when you think about doing it all over again. Sorry, Marleybone. Stoopid computer!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    And yes, I'm the one with the Eggnog Pumpkin Pie. I'll have to look for that one, I can't remember if I posted it back when we had the Christmas baking thread going.
    Unless it slipped under my radar, I think both of us forgot about it because it was during the height of Christmas baking. I only remembered it because I'm storing all my Christmas Cookbooks away until November, and there was a bit of paper sticking up from a page, revealing the recipe.

I adore the funky flavour of buckwheat so I'm looking forward to trying out your crust! Hope that the rest of your Valentine's Day is sweeter for you.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    I know, but whatever happened I never had a chance to save anything, it was just gone-bye-bye. Grrr... but oh well. Here I go again! Now lambikins.. this does have lemon juice/zest in it so you might not like it as much. It's wonderful while still warm, I've been known to have it for breakfast. I use a basic pie crust, have not tried the buckwheat recipe.

From The Fannie Farmer Baking Book

Buttermilk Pie

1 cup sugar
    3 Tbsp flour
    3 eggs, well beaten
    1 stick butter, melted
    1 cup buttermilk
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    Grated zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 425 F. Combine sugar and flour in a bowl, and stir to mix. Add the eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, lemon juice and zest, and stir until well blended. Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 F. and bake 30 minutes more. When done, the filling will be puffed and almost set (although it will fall as the pie cools). A knife inserted midway between the center of the pie and the edge will come out clean (I don't like to stick a knife in the middle of my beautiful pie.. but that's what the recipe says ). Serve this pie slightly warm or tepid-it will be better is it isn't chilled. Do refrigerate the leftovers though.

Buckwheat Pie Crust This is for one 8-inch pie shell.

1/2 cup white flour
    1/2 cup buckwheat flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup shortening
    2-3 Tbsp cold water

Mix the flours and salt in a bowl. Drop in the shortening, and work it into the flours until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs; the pieces will be slightly irregular, and some will be slightly larger than others. Sprinkle on the water, a tablespoon at a time, and stir lightly with a fork after each addition. Use enough water so that the dough will hold together when gathered in your hand. If there are any dry bits of dough, sprinkle them with a drop or two of water and press them into the mass.

Form the dough into a cake about 1" thick and 3" diameter. Roll out on a floured surface (sprinkle the top with flour also to prevent sticking) and roll out into a circle about 1/8" thick and 2" larger than your pie plate. Fit the dough into the pan and trim and flute the edges. The pie shell may now be filled before baking, or may be partially or fully baked.

Instructions for pre-baking pie shells.

Prick the bottom and sides with a fork at 1/2" intervals, and press a 12" square of heavy-duty foil snugly into the pie shell. Bake at 425 for 6 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 4 minutes. Let it cool and then fill and finish baking. If you want to fully bake the shell bake 8-10 minutes after you remove the foil. Check it a time or two during baking and if it puffs up, gently press it down with the tines of a fork.

I included this since there were questions about whether or not to pre-bake a crust. I do this when I make the Buttermilk pie and it turns out really good, but it's really up to your own preference whether or not to pre-bake.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    KCfemme - great looking recipes !

I made brisket ONCE and it turned out very well, and fortunately I wrote down the recipe: I looked at a couple book recipes and add my personal twists to them. That kind of creativity and intuitiveness is fun, especially when it actually turns out edible.
    I'll share another time.

Made it through 26 pages yesterday. Impressive stuff everyone. Cool to see snowflakegirl go from zero to 60 so fast. Snowflakeman must be quite pleased after a long day on set.

Premium Member
    Today I'm working on organizing and cleaning out my paper clutter, and I'm now down to the huge pile of printouts of recipes I've collected over the years. I just found my Eggnog Pumpkin Pie recipe so thought I would post it for you lambikins and anyone else who might be interested. I know it's out of season now but by next fall I might not be able to find it again.

Eggnog Pumpkin Pie

1 15 oz. can pumpkin
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cloves
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups eggnog
    1 unbaked 9" pie shell

Heat oven to 425 F. In a medium bowl, beat pumpkin, eggs, sugar, spices and salt until smooth. Slowly stir in eggnog. Pour into crust. Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool; cover and store in refrigerator.

If you want, you can substitute 2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice for the different spices.

It's official, Marleybone: we're long lost twins!

That recipe you posted, is IDENTICAL, to the one that I made up in my head, down to the exact measurements! Now, I was going off of a base recipe, and when I found out, late at night, that I didn't have the evaporated milk, I found the eggnog in the frig.

(I also found a couple of beers in the frig, but that's another story! )

It turned out so tasty, that I never looked back in making it the original way.

Thanks for posting it, M.B., and also for saving me the time of typing it out.

I've been on a baked custard jag this week and have made it every day this week. It's amazing how that custard "disappears" at night, when I'm "sleeping".

Yeah. Right. ~burp~

hehe. Heres my one and only recipe......
    Grilled Cheese
    Ingredients:
    * bread (any kind)
    * cheese (any kind)
    * 2 tbl spoons butter
    * skillet

Directions:
    Heat skillet up. While heating, melt butter in microwave. Spread butter on both pieces of bread, one side only. That will be the side that faces out when your sandwich is done. Place cheese inside of bread pieces, and place on heated skillet. After several minutes, use a spatula to flip the sandwich, so that the other side can toast. When sandwich is golden, turn off stove, and place sandwich on plate. And voila. This is the way I make my grilled cheese.

weathergirl91: You stand to become a wonderful cook with that recipe!

Why, because that is the identical way that I make my grilled cheese sandwiches!

My Uncle was in the Navy, and he came home from leave this one time, when I was about your age, he and I were 'hanging' in my Grandma's kitchen. I was going to make Campbell's Tomato Soup (the ONLY tomato soup worthy of crossing my tongue) and grilled cheese sandwiches for us.

He said, "Let me show you how me make them in the Navy."

He proceeded with your exact directions, and I have never eaten a better grilled cheese and to this day, over 40 years later, I still make them the same way.

I'm so glad that you found your way over to this thread, Sweetheart. Be sure to copy down, for future use,some of these recipes on this thread, for when you're working on The Weather Channel (TM) and you have a busy day and want some good food.

Closed Thread