Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Cali, what is the recipe. Without knowing that, I would say medium high and then turn down to low.

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    I have a cooking question... I don't cook, so maybe this is a no brainer... I just don't know.

My daughter is cooking dinner for her boyfriend tonight. The recipe says to preheat skillet to 350 then turn it down to 220. Well, we don'thave an electric skillet so she's using the stove. Our stove only has simmer, low, med, med high and high settings... anyone know what exactly we should put the burner on for those two temps?

Anyone????
    cali: I googled every type of search that my Morning Brain could think of, and I came up with squat. I'm guessing that you also are cooking on an electric range, vs. gas, hence the specific settings.

This is my BIG guess: if the recipe starts out at 350, then your daughter is probably browning meat and heating up the ingredients. When the recipe tells you to turn it down to 220, then I'm gathering that that setting is the "simmer" or extended cooking part of the recipe.

So, I'd start out on Medium High for 350, and then switch it to Medium for the 220. If it appears that the Medium is still TOO high, switch it to Low.

Your poor daughter! Please tell her to not get discouraged! Cooking for a boyfriend and not cooking with the right equipment can be tough. My heart goes out to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Sure lambi, I'd love your recipe. Why don't you just post the whole buttermilk pie recipe while you're at it. Mine comes from Fannie Farmer but my SIL makes a different one. I think mine is better. I'd love to compare.
    Hey Marley, since you're up and awake, how does my recipe compare to yours? What's your history with this pie? And please be sure to post your recipe, too. By the way, was it YOU who also had the pumpkin/eggnog pie? I just found my recipe and will post it if you're still interested.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I have a cooking question... I don't cook, so maybe this is a no brainer... I just don't know.

My daughter is cooking dinner for her boyfriend tonight. The recipe says to preheat skillet to 350 then turn it down to 220. Well, we don'thave an electric skillet so she's using the stove. Our stove only has simmer, low, med, med high and high settings... anyone know what exactly we should put the burner on for those two temps?

Anyone????
    Whatchya making, Cali? Or what's your daughter making? I don't know anyone who knows the temperature of their skillet (maybe Squatman is right and it's on digital stovetops).

If you're, say, browning meat then turning it down to simmer, I'd say medium-high then turning down to medium.

Mostly I'm just curious what she's making for a VD dinner.

ETA: somehow I missed the last page of this thread and the string of posts advising the exact same thing.

And Squatman, I'm always up for crockpot recipes. I my crockpot!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Mostly I'm just curious what she's making for a VD dinner.
    hepcat: Doesn't the saying go, "Curiousity killed the cat...?"

Your post cracked me up, because I was just as curious as you in finding out what the dish was going to be.

Aw-w-w, well, you and I both know that satisfaction brought the back!

squatman: I simply your avatar!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

First... THANKS That's pretty much what we came up with, so that's what we'll do.

She's making Chicken Parmasan (sp?) and we've never even eaten it before, let alone made it She's also making a salad and noodles and Sparkling White Grape juice (no one tell me you should have sparkling red grape juice with chicken )

Lambi, she's not freaked out at all. Their relationship is so odd... and by odd I mean mature for their ages. They are so comfortable around each other it's freaky. She told him that when he got here she'd still have curlers in her hair. He said he was bringing a camera for before and after shots. She said cool and is letting him take pictures of her with the curlers ... never in a million years when I was 13.

Ummm... traveled off topic a bit ... sorry

Anyway, I will let everyone know how it turned out.

Thanks again.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

First... THANKS That's pretty much what we came up with, so that's what we'll do.

She's making Chicken Parmesan (sp?) and we've never even eaten it before, let alone made it She's also making a salad and noodles and Sparkling White Grape juice (no one tell me you should have sparkling red grape juice with chicken )

Lambi, she's not freaked out at all. Their relationship is so odd... and by odd I mean mature for their ages. They are so comfortable around each other it's freaky. She told him that when he got here she'd still have curlers in her hair. He said he was bringing a camera for before and after shots. She said cool and is letting him take pictures of her with the curlers ... never in a million years when I was 13.

Ummm... traveled off topic a bit ... sorry

Anyway, I will let everyone know how it turned out.

Thanks again.
    Your daughter is 13 and already whipping up a storm in the kitchen?! I think I was still in diapers at 13! About the only food I made back then was canned tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Of course, the fact that my biological mom wouldn't allow anyone to COOK in the kitchen may have hampered my early ability; she didn't want the "cooking smells" and she didn't want to "clean up our messes." This also pertained to my step-dads; they weren't allowed to cook in there either! Also, it would never have occurred to her OCD personality that we might actually be capable of cleaning the kitchen! Imagine, growing up with Adrian Monk for your mother...ugh!

I'm happy to hear that there are some mentally healthy youngin's out there; it sounds like you and your daughter have a nice relationship. Good for YOU!

for the record, the dinner turned out really well. They had a great time and she cooked enough for my husband and son too (I don't do chicken )

They said it tasted really good, even if we were all banished to the living room.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

for the record, the dinner turned out really well. They had a great time and she cooked enough for my husband and son too (I don't do chicken )

They said it tasted really good, even if we were all banished to the living room.
    Yeah, cali's girl! It's been nice, revisiting youth, through your post. Ah, the all necessary "banishment" from the kitchen whilst cooking; I'm quite familiar with that action from my youth, when I'd toss every one of my guests into the living room. Now, I'm happy for the company in the kitchen...and the kibitzing! I'm so glad that it ended up so well for ALL of you. And your daughter has learned well: the way to a man's is through his stomach!

P.S. I've heard people say "I don't do windows," but I've never heard anyone say, "I don't do chicken." I'm sure there's a story there!

My favorite slow cooker recipe:

3 1/2 to 4 pound fresh beef brisket
    1 7-oz package of mixed dried fruit
    28 oz beef broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    5-6 tablespoons quick-mixing flour

1. Place all ingredient, except flour, in 3 1/2-4 qt slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low setting 9-10 hours

3. Remove beef to warm platter. Increase slow cooker heat setting to high. Beat flour into hot cooking liquid using wire whisk. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes, until mixture is thickened, then serve sauce with beef.
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

My favorite recipe creation (one all of my guy friends now use to impress their dates because it's super-easy and tastes great):

4 split chicken breasts
    slices of swiss cheese (enough to cover the chicken)
    1/4 cup of vermouth
    1 can cream of celery soup
    butter or margarine
    croutons

1. Wash and pat dry chicken, then place it in a buttered or cooking sprayed baking dish.

2. Cover the chicken with slices of swiss cheese.

3. Mix the vermouth and soup and pour it over the chicken.

4. Dot with butter and sprinkle with croutons.

5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for an hour or until done.

This recipe is great served with a fresh green veggie and boiled or roasted seasoned red potatoes.
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

Closed Thread