Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

There, there lambi. I've never heard of doing that either. I guess if I were you, I'd take a deep breath and try it the Pie Diva's way once. Who knows? It could turn out to be revolutionary?

Premium Member
    lambi I've never heard of that either. My Fannie Farmer Baking Book says to pre-bake for a total of 10 minutes. You press foil snugly into the crust and bake 6 minutes, then remove it and bake another 4 minutes. That is for custard type pies, and that's what I do for my buttermilk pie and it always works well. I have never heard of glazing the crust. I don't see what the point of that would be since you are putting a moist filling in there anyway.
    Hang in there girlie, I'll bet you could just do the crust your own way and it will turn out great!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    lambi I've never heard of that either. My Fannie Farmer Baking Book says to pre-bake for a total of 10 minutes. You press foil snugly into the crust and bake 6 minutes, then remove it and bake another 4 minutes. That is for custard type pies, and that's what I do for my buttermilk pie and it always works well. I have never heard of glazing the crust. I don't see what the point of that would be since you are putting a moist filling in there anyway.
    Hang in there girlie, I'll bet you could just do the crust your own way and it will turn out great!
    Marleybone and Mariner: thanks for the feedback! I've decided to just forge ahead today and make it the way that I've always made my liquid pies: just pour the filling in and bake the damn thing! As you said, Mbone, 'what's the diff, since you're putting liquid over the baked crust?!'

I completely agree!

It just threw me for such a loop, when I got down to the instructions; she has a full page on the "benefits" of pre-baking the shells, but it just seems that she's over-reacting to some Pie Tragedy in her life and this is her over-reaction. Can anyone say "Adrian Monk Syndrome"?

Sometimes it's just fun to rank over something inconsequential and have friends nod and say, "Yeah, I feel your pain". Thanks, Grrrls.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Hey, no problem... I'm here for ya lambi. I'm sure it will be just fine. Just think of how many times you've probably made something from a recipe but then just tweaked it a little because your way seemed to make more sense, and it turned out just fine. WTH.. next time I make buttermilk pie I'm just going to try it without pre-baking the crust. It's a pain in the butt to do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Hey, no problem... I'm here for ya lambi. I'm sure it will be just fine. Just think of how many times you've probably made something from a recipe but then just tweaked it a little because your way seemed to make more sense, and it turned out just fine. WTH.. next time I make buttermilk pie I'm just going to try it without pre-baking the crust. It's a pain in the butt to do that anyway.
    You're a sweetie pie, Marleybone!

Say, I've got a smashing cornmeal crust recipe that is the ONLY crust that I bake my buttermilk pie recipe in; do you want it? It requires NO pre-baking!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Frankly, I don't understand what the problem is. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to pre-bake the crust. If you don't want to pre-bake the crust, don't pre-bake it.

Better yet, just go to the store and buy something made by Mrs. Smith or Sara Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    Frankly, I don't understand what the problem is. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to pre-bake the crust. If you don't want to pre-bake the crust, don't pre-bake it.

Better yet, just go to the store and buy something made by Mrs. Smith or Sara Lee...
    I was just being silly, lobeck. You know what 'silly' is, don't you? I thought I'd post a tongue-in-cheek rant that I had over this Mountain/Molehill dilemma. It's a relief from all the high drama of live.

There's no shame in admitting you were agonizing over the pie shells, Lambikins. If that rant was tongue-in-cheek, I'll eat my hat. You can't call yourself Queen of Pie then back off - that's no fun!

Meant in the spirit of friendliness and all that. I usually buy those pre-made crusts in the refrigerated section myself.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Say, I've got a smashing cornmeal crust recipe that is the ONLY crust that I bake my buttermilk pie recipe in; do you want it? It requires NO pre-baking!
    Sure lambi, I'd love your recipe. Why don't you just post the whole buttermilk pie recipe while you're at it. Mine comes from Fannie Farmer but my SIL makes a different one. I think mine is better. I'd love to compare.

I have baked a lot of pies myself...and I agree with you lambi. I totally don't get the point of glazing the crust that is going to be filled. Was there any reason given? Also, overbaking a crust is never a good thing....

Closed Thread