Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Just be careful when you eat the fruit.
    Hence, the beauty of drinking at HOME! You don't have far to crawl...
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

lambi...since I live in Chile, I have a lot of red wines to choose from! But after a little research, apparently a Cabernet Sauvignon is best. You add the fruit to the wine 24 hours ahead, and add the club soda closer to serving time. I bought a good mid range cab since you are adding sugar and other stuff it doesn't have to be a reserva. The fruit here is just awesome right now, so am hoping it turns out.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your success, canuckinchile. Now that I know which type of red wine to use, I can't wait for those summer parties. So many of the recipes on that site I suggested sound scrumptious: Why, it could be a different sangria each day! Hic..

By the way, how did you get from HERE to THERE??

Inquiring minds wanna know!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Short answer: mining. Chile produces somewhere around 35 percent of the world's copper. We are really enjoying it here and have taken the opportunity to see lots! We are hoping to go to the Galapagos Islands next for vacation!

Pumpkin-peanut Butter Soup

Yesterday was Soup Day for me. I made three of them for the remainder of the week. The first was a Chicken-Sweet Potato Soup; the second was a Stilton-Apple Bisque and the last is a Pumpkin-Peanut Butter Soup. It falls together so fast, it's almost obscene. And the taste: so rich and so good. Very filling. I served it with sauted spinach with garlic oil and an apricot pie.

PUMPKIN-PEANUT BUTTER SOUP

1/2 stick of Unsalted Butter

4 Cups of Pureed Pumpkin (I just used the canned stuff)

2 Cups of Pureed Sweet Potatoes

1 Cup of Smooth Peanut Butter

6 Cups of Chicken Stock

1 teaspoon of Salt and Pepper

Garnish: Snipped chives and sour cream or plain yogurt

1) Melt butter in a medium-soup pan over medium heat. Stir in the pumpkin, sweet potato, and peanut butter.

2) Add chicken stock, pepper and salt and stir will until smooth. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.

3) Before serving, garnish soup with chives and sour cream or yogurt.

Serves 6

Good/different after dinner drink~
    1 mint tea bag
    1 cups milk
    1 tbs hot chocolate mix

In a saucepan, heat milk with tea bag until almost boiling. Steep for a few minutes and strain out tea bags. Pour milk in mug, then stir in a tablespoon of chocolate powder in mug.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Premium Member
    Zaaam, that sounds wonderful. Chocolate and mint together is the best.

Lambi; I'm interested in that Stilton-Apple Bisque. It sounds very interesting.

Apple And Blue Cheese Bisque

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Zaaam, that sounds wonderful. Chocolate and mint together is the best.

Lambi; I'm interested in that Stilton-Apple Bisque. It sounds very interesting.
    Marleybone: How would you like a soup so good and so sensual that you felt like you needed a 'smoke' after eating it?! That's what this soup turned out to be like.

It goes together in 12 minutes flat, start to finish. It calls for Stilton, but I've used Danish Blue, Stilton and a new one I used yesterday: Rosenborg Noble Blue. I really liked that one because it came in a pre-packaged 6 ounce amount, which is what the recipe calls for. Make sure that your apples are varieties that DON'T reduce down, like McIntosh. Ida Red is good, so is Granny Smith.

It is best served piping hot; the blue cheese becomes over-whelming when it cools to room temperature. I have served it with Carr's Pepper Crackers and also a delicious baguette, with Danish butter and Sea Salt sprinkled on top.

1 Tablespoon of Butter, Unsalted
    2 Apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 Cups of Milk (I used Whole for this)
    6 ounces of Blue Cheese, pre-crumbled by hand
    Salt and Pepper, to taste

1) In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the apples until very soft but they still hold their shape.
    2) Add the milk and lower the heat. When the milk starts to scald around the edges of the pan, begin adding the cheese, bit by bit, stirring constantly. The milk will begin to curdle at this point, but just keep adding the cheese and stirring.
    3) When all the cheese has been incorporated, add salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 2

Premium Member
    OMG I lurrrve blue cheese. Apples and cheese are wonderful together, I especially like them with smoked cheddar.

Lambi vs. The Pie Diva

Okay...I am ANGRY!!! Really, really angry!!!

Well, maybe pissed off.

Okay, more like a 5 year old kid who's holding their breath and stomping their feet.

Why? Because of the instructions in a stupid new cookbook that I was given for Valentine's Day. (Do I sound enough like a stroppy 5 year old yet? )

First, I have baked 100's pies in my life time. I've been baking for over 44 years and am the Queen of Pie in my tiny Universe.

I've made every single type, from cream, fruit, mince, custard, and nut.

I have never, ever, EVER had to pre-bake a pie shell, to only have to bake it again!

Here's where my temper tantrum is coming from: My partner gave me a (supposedly) wonderful pie book, loaded with heirloom and new recipes. It's written by one of those cooking divas (aren't we all!) who, apparently, has nothing in life to do but bake pies.

The recipe that I was going to be making is for a Sour-Cream Apricot Pie. I had all the ingredients assembled, all the stuff chilled, and that should have been the end of it.

But, when I got down to the instructions, this "chick" said to "bake the pie shell in advance, for 20 minutes" with the usual beans, peas, junk you throw inside an empty pie shell to keep it from puffing.

She also said that you MUST glaze the inside of the shell, with an egg yolk wash, to guarantee a crispy crust.

So, your wondering "What's Lambikins problem?"

Because you do this to the shell, and then put the filling inside the pie and bake it an additional 50 minutes!

I'm sorry, but I've baked more custard filling pies than Sara Lee (almost) and have never in my life had a "soggy bottom" (a 'saggy' bottom, yes, but that's on ME, not the pie! )

I sat down with the pie book and read through instructions for most of her pies and this "nutcase" has you pre-baking and glazing the pie shells for virtually 100% of her recipes! My only thought: "WTF is wrong with you, Miss Designer Pie Maker??!!"

Yes, I'm ranting, and I know it. I'm being unreasonable, and I know it. My only excuse is that my history of pie baking precedes this book and I doubt, seriously, that you have to pre-bake every darn pie shell before you bake it again.

(...step away from the keyboard and breath,..Lambikins...)

I ended up not making the recipe, putting all the ingredients back into the frig, because I wanted all of your advice/opinions first. I'm not insecure about this, but it's a 2005 book, and I'm wondering if this advice is SOUND and is the "new" way to bake pies, or if this chick just has w-a-a-y too much time on her hands!

Okay, I'm going off into a corner of my kitchen to pout....

Closed Thread